What to eat at social gatherings?!

Options
hrod215
hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
I was just informed that there will be an 'outing' for our team. This outing is not at all outside, but inside... in a bar of all places. I am so not prepared for this kind of setting! Any suggestions on what to order food/drink-wise? I don't want to skimp on a chance to interact with my team members but not at the expense of my waistline and health. I am not going to sit here and say that this new lifestyle is second nature. I WILL tell you that the second I get a taste of the 'bad' food, it's all downhill from there. It's like inviting an alcoholic who's only been sober for 2 weeks to have drinks by someone who doesn't know the struggle.I get the "It's only one chickenwing/nacho/mozzarella stick etc., it won't hurt" or the "You can cheat every once in a while or else you are going to feel deprived" comments from folks. While that approach works for some, it doesn't for me at least not while I'm still trying to get used to this new lifestyle. I need HELP!

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Look at the menu and decide ahead of time
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Diet soda or water... and if you have to have a cocktail just get vodka and club soda with lime.. its not too bad. I always research first, and log what im going to eat BEFORE i go so planning is the key. If its a place with no nutritional info posted, my safe choices are no carb plates. a meat and veggie option. My coworkers LOVE to do mexican so i always get the fajita mix with no rice or tortillas.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i slowly drink a 2 shots worth of crown royal since it's 69 cals a shot and if you like you can cut it with tap water or have it in a separate glass. depending on what they have in the menu, you can call ahead to see i fyou can request modifications or substitutes...salad with dressing on the side, fajitas with rice, sour cream and tortilla on the side etc. There have been times i've been around cake and if i know i can eat it, i will eat a quarter of a slice. Also, I'd eat something so the temptation is less.good luck!
  • jennileemarie
    jennileemarie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I go to the bar and order my drink, which is always water. They will make it up to look just like a gin and tonic or martini or whatever you preference. I do this when I want to avoid people hassling me about 'not drinking'. I also make sure that I eat healthy before I go so that I can 'splurge' and get a little something unhealthy (last time I got a salad and a side of potato wedges, which I shared with people so I actually didn't eat many).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Look at the menu and decide ahead of time

This, definitely this. I went out to brunch with a friend today, and last night I visited the restaurant's menu online and pre-decided what I was going to order. It ended up being delicious, and ironically, tasted better than the waffles my friend ordered! She had order envy of my egg-white veggie omlette. :)
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to let yourself have a social life, even when you're dieting. I would try to eat as healthy and low-cal as you can the rest of the day, so you can leave yourself some calories to have a drink or two and a little snack. If you have a chance, workout earlier that day to get more calories. You can always drink diet soda and sparkling water if you don't mind not drinking. I find going a little over calories for special occasions hasn't hurt my progress. As long as it's not something you do often, you should be fine, especially if you've been eating at a high deficit.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My strategy for days like this:

1. Get a work out in so I have a little wiggle room. Take a walk at lunch, work out in the morning. Move.
    2. Plan a filling breakfast (under 300 cals) and lunch (under 400 cals) with lean protein and fiber, and lots of veggies. (I eat 1740 per day, so your breakdown may vary)
    3. Eat a snack before the event - usually something like whole grain toast with a little peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, or low-fat cheese
    4. Strict limit of 2 alcoholic drinks. I usually go with bourbon and diet soda, and between I have club soda on the rocks with lemon and lime
    5. If you can, get the menu ahead. If not, make your best choices - stick to grilled lean meats, salads, and veggies. Avoid fried foods.
    6. HAVE FUN! Rather than worry about what you consume, focus on the people you are with!
  • hrod215
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one being hassled about not drinking! I will use the water tip for sure, just have to make sure to get to the bar alone! Thank you!
  • hrod215
    Options
    I'm trying to find the menu to this place but what a pain! I also worked out today and have about 960 calories to use for the rest of the day. I promise I will try to focus on fun instead of everything I eat or drink. It's just a little tough when you have struggled for as long as you can remember with your weight. I do get scared that I will let things fall by the wayside, I don't want to ruin my progress... 14lbs before joining MFP and an additional since joining.

I can see this site is full of wonderful supportive people, maybe I can actually do this after all. Thank you, everyone, for all your tips! Keep 'em coming!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I make a big protein shake and chug it before I go out. If you're not going hungry, you're a lot less likely to be tempted by the things you don't really want to eat.

And I limit myself to one drink around co-workers, because I like staying employed. :wink: But I always make sure to keep a drink in my hand, because then nobody tries to order anything for you and you always have something to fill that mindless hand-to-mouth thing that bars seem to encourage. I just go with lime and soda, but there are drinks that bartenders will know and are named like real cocktails (*not* a Shirley Temple) that are basically the equivalent of that if you like to be sneaky about your sobriety.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    Options
    It is just one day ... if you take it one day at a time it is a lot easier. It has been for me. Are all my days perfect? Hell no! But, I always get back on the wagon the next day. What is done is done, and I refuse to let one day of caloric excess wreck my progress.

Also, I do have one F-it day per month. It is a day where I still track, but I allow myself more freedom - usually I eat to my TDEE. It helps with my sanity, and is perfect for nights were we go someplace with friends and there is no nutrition info online.

Just saying.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have this issue on Tuesday, a friend is visiting and we are off to the pub (breakfast & lunch). I already know I will only have 2 beers (the rest diet coke) and have picked out 2 low cal meals. Just need to sort of dinner as I'm doing a night shift.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If it is in a pub, order a club soda with lime and sip that. That's what I do and have done in the past when I don't want the alcohol calories or am on a medication that interacts. As far as food, pubs are really hard. There's not a lot on the menu that is not high calorie. I agree with whomever said go and check the menu beforehand. If they have a sandwich or a wrap that you can order without the cheese, mayo, sauce, etc. then go for that.

If' you aren't ready for a cheat day, don't stress it. I take them now, but when I started out, I didn't feel comfortable with them.
  • hrod215
    Options
    I'm very happy and excited to say that I was able to keep my resolve at that group outing! I wasnt able to check the mwnu because everything was already preordered for us and yes you guessed it... It was all fried, greasy and laden with either cheese or sauces. But I didnt touch a single morsel. I did however raid the carrot and celery sticks with the blue cheese dressing and only had 1 light beer. I still had a great time but it was a little tricky to dodge all the "wheres your drink?" questions and the "these loaded potato skins are delicious you should have one!" suggestions. I just diverted them with "havent decided what I want" and "Im having dinner later with my family, dont want to ruin my appetite". Thankfully those worked!

Again thank you all for your tips and tremendous support of a complete stranger!
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Vodka is a low calorie drink. No carbs, fat or sugar. Some places have unsweetened lemonade. I put it in that and it tastes great. As far as eating you can eat veggies, small chicken dish and even some of the non-fried appetizer size things.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    Options
    So glad you were able to navigate the situation! Good on you!! :D