Best exercise for lower tummy?

Options
Having had 2 children, and being oveweight anyway, i need some serious work on my tummy.
I'm doing circuit training at curves, twice a week and a kettlebell class twice a week, alongside a healthy calorie controlled diet.
So far ive 26lbs, and am really pleased.

I'm worried though about the possibility of getting loose skin and want to exercise and tone as much as i can while dieting.
Can anyone please advise the best exercises to do? I do have my own cross trainer and kettlebell set also if that helps.

Many thanks in advance :) xx

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Having had 2 children, and being oveweight anyway, i need some serious work on my tummy.
    I'm doing circuit training at curves, twice a week and a kettlebell class twice a week, alongside a healthy calorie controlled diet.

I'm worried though about the possibility of getting loose skin and want to exercise and tone as much as i can while dieting.
    Can anyone please advise the best exercises to do? I do have my own cross trainer and kettlebell set also if that helps.

While there is no way to spot reduce fat, I love doing this particular exercise because it's EASY but I've found it to be effective in tightening up my tummy a bit.

Lay on your bed completely flat on your back. Reach your arms up over your head and grab onto your headboard. Slowly raise your legs (they can be straightened or bent at a 45 degree angle) all the way up to a 90 degree angle - slowly lower them all the way back down. Repeat for as many reps as you want - I often do three sets of 20. ETA: Make sure that your core is engaged or you really won't feel anything from this move.

Another move that I learned at yoga - lay on your mat/floor with your hands laced together behind your head. Raise your legs up, slightly bent, to a 90 degree angle. This is basically a variation of a crunch, just use your abs and crunch up, reaching your elbows towards your legs. Slowly lower back down COMPLETELY. Repeat. We do one set of 16 per class, but you can do multiple sets for more work.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    awsome moves!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Lay on your bed completely flat on your back. Reach your arms up over your head and grab onto your headboard. Slowly raise your legs (they can be straightened or bent at a 45 degree angle) all the way up to a 90 degree angle - slowly lower them all the way back down. Repeat for as many reps as you want - I often do three sets of 20. ETA: Make sure that your core is engaged or you really won't feel anything from this move.

This exercise actually works your hip flexors, which are under your abdominals. It feels like you're working your abs, but you're not really.

Or so I've been told by a handful of trainers. The key is to not lower all the way back down, as your hip flexors do the lifting until your legs are to a ~45 angle.
  • kriswilcoxen9
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Depending on your current weight, you are probably going to have "some" lose skin for at least a little while; however, a resistance training program at least 3x a week will help significantly. If you are serious about weight lose and getting healthy then you will lose weight faster than your skin can return to it's normal state, building muscle while losing weight can help this condition.

I would recommend a lifting routine that involves several variations of squats. A squat is a compound exercise that gives your entire lower body a good workout. I've included a video of several examples and she even uses kettle balls! Good Luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C97w8tOKNc
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This exercise actually works your hip flexors, which are under your abdominals. It feels like you're working your abs, but you're not really.

Or so I've been told by a handful of trainers. The key is to not lower all the way back down, as your hip flexors do the lifting until your legs are to a ~45 angle.

Wow, I never knew that! Thank you for sharing. So I guess that makes it moot as far as a tummy exercise goes, but still an excellent move in my opinion. :)
  • bethtavern
    bethtavern Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks to everyone thats posted...really appreciated :)

I'm so glad you said squats kris, as a massive part of my kettlebell class is different styles of squats. I will start on the video that you've suggested then, plus keeping it up with my normal routine.

This is a lifestyle change for me...so i want to make sure ive got every angle covered.
    Many many thanks everyone :) xx