Cardio before breakfast

Options
My best friend suggested that I should do my cardio workouts first thing in the morning before eating breakfast if I want to lose the fat faster. I'm in the process of looking it up on the web a bit, but was just wondering if any agrees or disagrees with this method?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of going to my spin class one morning on an empty stomach thinking my body would use what it has for energy.. I had 0 energy and barely finished the class.
    I would definately recommend eating something, I think I read that your body can only use so much stored energy at once
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I dont like doing this. I eat something little to get my going before my morning work outs!
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I dont like doing this. I eat something little to get my going before my morning work outs!
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i normally eat a piece of peanut butter toast before i work out in the morning, that way i am not starving. if i eat before i work out i feel sick, or i end up feeling hungry afterwards. hope that helps!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a nice big breakfast an hour or two before my workouts.
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    always eat..a carb is good before you workout and protein afterwards. You dont have to eat a full breakfast, but something is important....
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I tried exercising one morning before ewating anything at all and got really light headed and felt very weak. I wold have to agree with the other in eating something to get your blood sugar levels going ( I assume mine was low which was why I was light headed)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    So I guess no one here is really in favor of the cardio fast? I'm reading up about it and it's a bit controversial, the upside is that it will tap into fat stores but the bad news is that you can also lose muscle in the process. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit and see how it works for me, 'don't knock it 'til you try it' so to speak ;)
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    When I do my walk/run in the am I do it before I eat. I have 1-2 cups of water, then I stretch and then I go. I have no problems but I eat something with protein as soon as I finish.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 am during the week to go for my walks, or 30 Shred. I can not eat that early! Don't know why, just cant. I usually don't have my oatmeal until 8:30. But that's just me.
    Everyone's different.
    Find what works for you. As far as it burning the fat faster - I would assume that's a load of crud...
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I did Zumba one morning without eating, it was the worse thing. I got dizzy, couldn't think straight, forgot the moves (I'm the instructor) my vision even got a little blurry. Everybody is different, but I wouldn't do it on purpose.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So I guess no one here is really in favor of the cardio fast? I'm reading up about it and it's a bit controversial, the upside is that it will tap into fat stores but the bad news is that you can also lose muscle in the process. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit and see how it works for me, 'don't knock it 'til you try it' so to speak ;)

you won't lose muscle if you are strength training, and you are eating a good protein enriched breakfast fterwards. The trick to not eating beforehand is to actually have nothing..not tea, not juice, nothing, your body has to use fat stores since it has no fuel from food to use as energy. It's a tried and true method, and it's helped quite a few of my clients including myself lose weight. If I have an early AM class I don't eat beforehand, it's really a personal choice. Good to see that you're researching it.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    you won't lose muscle if you are strength training, and you are eating a good protein enriched breakfast beforehand. The trick to not eating beforehand is to actually have nothing..not tea, not juice, nothing, your body has to use fat stores since it has no fuel from food to use as energy. It's a tried and true method, and it's helped quite a few of my clients including myself lose weight. If I have an early AM class I don't eat beforehand, it's really a personal choice. Good to see that you're researching it.

thats not including water, correct?
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My best friend suggested that I should do my cardio workouts first thing in the morning before eating breakfast if I want to lose the fat faster. I'm in the process of looking it up on the web a bit, but was just wondering if any agrees or disagrees with this method?

Some people can manage this, some can't. Personally, I have never tried it, mainly because I can't exercise first thing anyway, good grief it is all I can do to hobble to the toilet first thing and then the kettle, let alone pound away on the treadmill :laugh:

The site below may interest you on this subject:

http://medicmagic.net/exercise-before-breakfast-burns-fat-faster.html

It says in the article that it does burn more fat even though the performance is decreased. An empty stomach means adrenaline levels are increased and insulin is low and the ratio is appropriate to break down more muscle fatty acid.

:noway: - think I might force myself to try this now!
  • allstarmommy76
    allstarmommy76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I personally love to go for my morning run first thing in the morning, but everyone is different. I like to get it done and out of the way first thing, especially with all the hot weather here lately. I vary a little during the colder months, of course, by running during lunch. Still prefer to get it done first thing. I tend to get lazy as the day goes by. LOL!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am usually starving right when I get out of bed, so I couldn't do this. I then have to run off and do other stuff throughout the day, so I work out at night. I like working out a couple hours before bed because then I don't have as many problems going to sleep as i am ready to crash. But then again, I am a night owl by nature, I'm sure my wife could do this if she wanted to as she is a morning person.
  • SuperSushiLove
    Options
    I think it depends on you and how you feel. I personally wake up and go straight to the gym, do not pass go. Even if I eat and wait an hour before working out I feel nauseous and uncomfortable. But everyone is different! Do what feels right for you! Although I have heard that working out in the morning kick starts your body a tad bit so you burn more calories and have more energy during the day, and working out too late at night could disrupt sleeping habits...but I say if you feel good, no worries! :)
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    I use to do this when I first started working out. After a couple mins into a good work out....I'd feel like I was just gonna fall over. Then I started eating a lil...just a lil before the work out, and it was okay for awhile, but every now n then I'd still get that feeling like i'm can't do anymore. Infact, just the last two weeks, i've put more into eating breakfast before I run out to the gym. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your work out-
    for me cardio first, then eat within an hour of compleation to burn
    weights/muscle training, protein-carb snack prior for energy (piece of toast with nut butter or almond milk)
    above all else, listen to your body!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I get up early and go. if I stop to get something to eat, I'll just keep eating. :-) This is working for me, and I'm 4 months in...if it stops working, I'll try changing it up. But, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it. Whatever allows you to be consistent and feel good is probably what is right for you. Try it both ways and see which you like better!