Poll - How often and how do you work out?

gabriellesca
gabriellesca Posts: 13
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Just curious - how often do you work out and what do you typically do?

This past week I worked out 4 times - swimming, spinning, and cycling outdoors. I have a bum ankle so biking and swimming is really all I can do. I haven't started back up with weights yet - but I know I should. I want to get to the point where I'm working out at least 5 times a week and add those in. Also add back in yoga which I love. But I know I need to workout at least 5 times.

What do you all do and what aspect of your workout regime do you think has helped you lose weight the most?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Sun - Spin Class (very intense)
    Monday - rest
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - spin/workout in the morning and water aerobics in the evening
    Thurs - self imposed last min workout
    Fri - spin in the evening with maybe a 20-30min before it
    saturday - some type of workout still trying out classes

I think just doing something, I tried to lose weight for a year without dieting and have lost almost as much since May when we joined the gym
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    My routine changes every single week..I constantly shake it up..but here was this weeks

Sunday, 1.5 hours of muscle conditioning, 1 hour step class, 30 minutes of core, 20 minutes of swimming

Monday 45 minutes leg workout, 30 minutes crossramp, 1 hour step and flex, 30 minutes pilates

Tuesday 1.5 hours of full body muscle, 1 hour step, 1 hour zumba, 25 minutes plyomterics

Wednesday 30 minute HIIT training jump rope, 1 hour step, 1 hour muscle 30 minutes of biking

Thursday, easy day...45 minutes muscle 45 minutes HIIT training on treadmill

Friday 2 hour run, 1.5 hour muscle 30 minutes core 1 hour cardio kickbox

Saturday 1.5 hours of crossfit, 1 hour of hot yoga 1 hour of muscle work

I take NO days off, it's not necessary to rest if you are stretching and relaxing the muscles, rest days are overated..IMO only, don't bash me, if I took a rest day, it would turn into 2 then 3..lol...I need to maintain a routine.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Typically, I workout 5 days a week.
    Every other week I'll workout twice a day a couple of days out of the week....this is probably the most successful weight-loss regime for me, but I can't maintain that level of intensity every week.

Types of workout:
    Zumba 3 x weekly
    Elliptical 4 - 5 times a week (same issues w/my ankle)
    Yoga, as often as possible
    WiiFitPlus on the weekends

Newest change: Weights, 10k steps & intervals twice a week.

Probably one big plus comes from protein powder w/in 30 min after each hard workout.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    I workout three times a week with a trainer. She never has me do the same workout twice. It's usually about an hour and is circuit training. She has me do a lot of moves that involve multiple body parts/muscle groups.

I also do two-three additional workouts of 45 minutes on the ellyptical.

I've been doing this for almost a month now. I also throw in an occasional 30 Day Shred.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I've done a lot of different things, but right now my routine is 30 minutes of strength plus 20 minutes of HIIT cardio, three times a week at the gym. 45 minutes of strength training (I have my own weights and bench at home) plus a 45 minute fastwalk three times a week, and 1 day I do a three hour walk through the 4 markets for my weekly groceries :laugh:
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    I work out 5x a week. I take weekends off. I do cardio daily - 30 minutes 2x a day. 3x a week I also incorporate weights - that's typically a Mon/Wed/Fri schedule. Weights take about an hour and I always do that routine at night.

I've also started to incorporate Tabatas on Tuesdays and Thursdays (thanks imagymrat :D)
  • Thanks guys - you're making me think that I do need to focus on getting weights into my routine. I just struggle with it because I get so bored - even taking a Group Power class - just dull. But I think I know I have to do it. Also seems like 5 days a week is what alot of you guys do.

Hooah - Protein Powder - how does it help? Please share? I've been struggling with pre and post workout snacks lately. I don't eat enough before so I have a tough time getting through my workout and afterwards I'm starved I snack before I have time to finish my healthy dinner.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    This past week I have done something everyday and I'm going to try to keep that going.

S - jog 2 miles
    M - jog 2 miles, week one of hundred pushups and curls
    T - 45 min cycling class
    W - jog 2 miles, week one of hundred pushups and curls
    R - jog 2 miles
    F - 45 min cycling class, week one of hundred pushups and curls
    S - jog 2 miles.

I'll be doing almost the same next week except trying to run farther and i'll be adding abs to the mix.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Mine go along the lines of

Monday - interval training on the treadmill for one hour
    Tuesday - four mile walk
    Wednesday - interval training on the treadmill for one hour
    Friday - interval training on the treadmill for one hour
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Thanks guys - you're making me think that I do need to focus on getting weights into my routine. I just struggle with it because I get so bored - even taking a Group Power class - just dull. But I think I know I have to do it. Also seems like 5 days a week is what alot of you guys do.

Hooah - Protein Powder - how does it help? Please share? I've been struggling with pre and post workout snacks lately. I don't eat enough before so I have a tough time getting through my workout and afterwards I'm starved I snack before I have time to finish my healthy dinner.

I tell ya, if I didn't replenish I'd hurt the rest of the day and eat my way to feeling better!
    I'm certainly not the expert, but it definately works wonders for me, especially w/in 30 after a good workout. EAS protein mix with a half cup of plain yogurt has been life-changing for my continued success.
    There's all kinds of suggestions out there, but I need the increased protein to fend off the aches and fatigue I used to get...

You're on the right track....get a program and schedule your days....you'll do great if you keep it real:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.