Drinking alcohol whilst trying to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• wmbrett
    wmbrett Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer very regularly - up to 3 beers a night. But MFP has helped me understand that I should be drinking fewer microbrews - some of those had 300+ calories per beer. I exercise just about every morning in order to account for my beer drinking, while still trying to lose about 2 lbs per week. I'll drink a Guinness if I don't exercise, since it has relatively few calories. Soon I'll be at the maintain stage - then I'll have to adjust my beer drinking accordingly - but happily.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For some people drinking a glass a night stalls weight loss. I think if you are insulin resistant or have allergies to molds in food or even a sulphite intolerance (hello here) you will have issues with a nightly drink.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Each person is different. If I drink I retain water like crazy, and its too much sugar for me. As soon as I cut out the booze I can lose weight, if I don't it sticks like glue. If you feel like you are stalling, try one week without it and see how it goes.
  • ECos81
    ECos81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I seem to lose more when I cut out booze (unfortunately!) I love my red wine and still have a glass now and then, but on occassion when I tend to overdo it, my body seems to hang onto water longer. I've also heard your metabolism significantly slows down when your drinking. I haven't done research on it, but when I cut booze out for the month of April I noticed a pretty big difference.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, having a nice rum cocktail daily seems to slow down my metabolism, thus slowing my weight loss. i had to just give up alcohol during the week, and drink sparingly on the weekends.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do drink (wine--no more beer!) and can still lose weight/lean out but it does seem a little easier when not drinking. Cost/benefit, though, and to me, the benefit exceeds the cost. Back before kids, when I needed to stay constantly 100% lean, I just didn't drink Sunday-Thursday, but drank whatever I wanted on weekends. That worked pretty well, too. But, man, a glass of wine every night is key for dealing with 2 kids while my husband is deployed! :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I lost 35-40 Lbs and drank alcohol the entire time. I refrained from drinking a lot of beer, but I did not hesitate to drink wine or booze.

You cannot store calories from alcohol...most of the damage comes from the **** you eat while you're drinking and afterwards (even if it's not crappy food) because your body has no choice but to store all of that as fat as your metabolism is fully dedicated to metabolizing the alcohol.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever, whenever, as long as it fits my calorie goal! Sometimes I end up a bit over in carbs but I don't stress it. I love my wine and won't give it up!! I think you should be fine as long as you are logging it accurately. I haven't had trouble losing weight this way and I've been told I'm much more pleasant to be around when I've had my wine as opposed to when I'm abstaining :drinker: :blushing:
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I lose weight much slower when I drink wine, but life is so much more fun with wine in it :drinker:

^This! I love drinking wine. Just be cautious with how much you are drinking and log it! Drinking it a few nights a week won't hurt too bad. As long as you are still under your calorie goal for the day, you'll see some weightloss! But we're all different, so if you are drinking wine and aren't finding the results you want, you may want to cut it out or reduce it more.