nursing mothers out there ?

Options
lolymommy
lolymommy Posts: 11 Member
Are there any other moms who are working off pregnancy weight? I am nursing and very interested in being sensible and realistic.

Replies

• Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of still nursing, my little guy is 9 months old and on formula while i work, but he was exclusively nursed until about a month ago.

I found that i was hungrier than ever while i nursed, but i also found that i was using it as an excuse. Don't let your calories get too low, but moderate exercise and reasonable food consumption will go a long way! I found that once i got some parameters set up, i lost weight really fast! (i think because i was nursing!)

feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support!
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i am. i set up everything so that i had a 1200 calories that i am supposed to eat everyday. i try to go over that but not by more than 500 calories. also in the exercise under cardiovascular you can check breastfeeding and it will count those calories burned. i just put down enough minutes to make it 500 calories bc that is the average you burn nursing. i have been losing a lb or more a week.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing, my daughter is 14 months. I've lost 80+ lbs while breastfeeding. Just take it slow that is the key!
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing as well. Just take it slow, listen to your body, and make sure to eat back the calories you use making milk. Feeding that baby is the most important thing in the world!
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am no longer nursing, but I am still working off my pregnancy body. I had to stop nursing at 2.5 months and I continued to pump until 6 months whenI completely dried up.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks postpartum and currently trying to figure all this out! I lost all my ticker weight last year till I found out I was pregnant, have already lst the baby weight but wanted to lose another 40....(I am 5'3 and 185....wanting to be somewhere around 150-140.
    Right now, it just seem like I am just hungry!!! Kellymom says not to "diet" until after two months so you can recover and such, but I feel great and mostly ready to get started up again....who knows, right now I m just trying to log consistently again! Lol!
  • Blessedby2boys
    Blessedby2boys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5.5 week postpartum with my 2nd. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. I have already lost 30 pounds (tons of water retention this time around). I had a c-section and complications afterward, making my hospital stay longer and recovery more difficult. I am feeling really good am cleared for activity next week. I breastfeed exclusively and I am hoping to keep up my supply while working off a pound a week.
  • emiliobo
    emiliobo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new as well and breastfeeding. My son is 4 weeks old and feeds non stop!
    I put on 49 lb while I was pregnant and have lost 29, I am still overweight and 70lb over my goal.
    I only bought scales and got back on MFP one week ago and have lost about 3lb already!
    I am being careful and am logging my breastfeeding as 500 calories a day under excercise, you can also log it as minus calories under food.
    Im not being too strict with myself and have gone slightly over my calorie goals each day as I'm still technically in the recovery period and they say you shouldn't diet for the first six weeks. I made sure I didnt start until I was properly back on my feet, I'm feeling strong now and am over the moon that I have seen results already.

Be great to stay in touch with other nursing mums on here!
  • laurieskiles9
    Options
    My son is 16 weeks and he is still EBF. I too log breastfeeding under exercise. I am super paranoid about not taking in enough calories for breastfeeding too.I made sure to up my water intake too. Good luck to you!
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Haha where have you ladies been? I've been looking for other nursing moms to share support with. I'd lost 20 pounds before joining MFP then I lost another 30 before getting pregnant where I gained that 30 back. I'm now trying to lose about 40 pounds but it's been so difficult not being able to really diet. Finding time to workout has also been crazy. My sons 4 months old please add me as a friend I would absolutely love having you ladies as my support and be yours as well. :happy:
  • Snunu
    Snunu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm nursing mom of 3,5 months old baby boy and would love to have some support and motivation from other moms. Congratulations to you all with your little angels!

Please someone explain to confused mom like me what is an absolute minimum of calories i should fuel myself with in order to lose those extra pounds and not to drop BF (I'm so much afraid that the milk disappear if I go too low with calories but have no any idea what is that minimum magic number. I plan also to make some sport minimum 5 times a week.

Any help will be much appreciated!!
  • Snunu
    Snunu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing, my daughter is 14 months. I've lost 80+ lbs while breastfeeding. Just take it slow that is the key!

WOW! Congratulations!

Some more info about your weight loss would be great! Please share with us how did you eat and exercise. I guess everybody will be interested. Thank you!
  • charlay
    charlay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a nursing mom of a 21 month old little girl. (Yep, you read that right, we're still going at almost 2.)

I too am trying to lose weight. I'm tired of being overweight and want to be able to be a positive role model for my kiddos. Plus, I'm a doula and really want to not be so big in all the pictures I take with client! So if you have questions about what's healthy and not, I can answer those! I'm a breastfeeding peer counselor trained via LLLi as well.

Friend me if you like! I'm always up for new friends!
  • emiliobo
    emiliobo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a nursing mom of a 21 month old little girl. (Yep, you read that right, we're still going at almost 2.)

I too am trying to lose weight. I'm tired of being overweight and want to be able to be a positive role model for my kiddos. Plus, I'm a doula and really want to not be so big in all the pictures I take with client! So if you have questions about what's healthy and not, I can answer those! I'm a breastfeeding peer counselor trained via LLLi as well.

Friend me if you like! I'm always up for new friends!

Hi Charlay!

Do you have any info on the minimum calories we need before our milk dries up? I think for all of us breastfeeding is our main priority right now and I'd hate to put this at risk in order to lose the weight faster...

Amazing work on the 21 months too! Congrats! X
  • jodiegarnett
    Options
    Hi!! I am still feeding my 2 year old. He is the youngest of my 7 darlings, and my last!!!! Lol. So time to lose all my babies weight :) I do TDEE -20% then added another 200 calories to that for the breast feeding. So I eat 1800 a day and dont log exercise. Only been at it a couple if weeks (1200 did not work at all for me) and the inches are melting off, 4.5 in the last 10 days :)
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i nursed my last 2 babies till 2 yrs old. and this one being the last will prob nurse a little longer. before i got pregnant this last time i lost 40 lbs while nursing his sister. but i didnt start until she was 10 mo. and then it took my almost a year. hopefully this time it wont take so long. lol.

it is so nice that there are so many other nursing moms out there for me to talk to!

anybody can add me. the more the merrier!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I nursed my first one to 22 months and I am currently nursing my 14 month old. Under food you can add breastfeeding and pick how many times a day you do it and it will give you negative calories. For instance: My calorie goal is a bit above 1200. First thing I do is enter "Breastfeeding 3-5 times a day, -400 calories" under breakfast and now, I get to eat 1600 calories a day! I have been doing this off and off for 6 months and have no problems with supply issues and moderate success with weight loss. I made sure to set a 1 lb a week max weight loss goal.
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am looking for breastfeeding mothers , as friends, for support. I nursed y 6 yr old daughter for 8 months, and my newborn son will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I plan to nurse him until he turns one year old.

I have joined the Post-Partum Group and the breastfeeding support group. However, I need moms who are going to log on everyday. Before I got pregnant, I had logged on faithfully for almost a year. I am trying to get back in the groove of logging on. My dairy is locked at the time, but I have no issue opening it for others to see. (I changed it when I was pregnant, and wasn't eating exactly what I should've been) I have my calories set at 1800, but from the looks of other moms I may change it to 1700. Please add me.
  • spacegirl3
    spacegirl3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just discovered how to add the additional calories for breastfeeding. You can do it under food or exercise. I have about 10 pounds to go. I look forward to everyone's motivational words of wisdom. Its so hard to convince myself to leave the baby with Dad go exercise. I am breasfeeding exclusively, love the bonding time. Nice to see other working nursing mothers out there.