Which veggies to replace chicken and fish

Options
I've been looking to go to a more plant based diet but have always been worried about losing strength and muscle ( I know an old myth ) also I have always been the guy who is the "manly meat eater" so pride has been a factor as well ( silly I know)

Anyways I want to be healthier and have heard so many good things about going plant based but I'm not sure what I should do to replace chicken, fish, and eggs.

I like raw veggies broccoli is my favourite, cauliflower is great too. I've also started eating raw almonds. So what do you guys use to get your protein?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    IMO, there is no plant based protein that can compete with animal based proteins (meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy). Soy is probably the best - edamame/mukimame. However, even with those, you will be picking up a lot of carbs with them, so if you are trying to eat high protein from a plant based diet, you are really going to have to limit carb intake from other sources.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There is no single type of plant based food that supplies the full range of essential amino acids (in adequate amounts). Generally you have to combine sources to get the amino acid "equivalent" of meat/animal protein. Common combinations that work are rice and beans or corn and soy. As GauchoMark said, though, it's hard to keep carbs down on a completely plant based diet.
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    yah I see that the carbs skyrocket when trying to replace the meat and eggs. I'm not trying to become a vegan or anything just trying to cut back on meat a bit but man it is tricky trying to replace meat in meals and not resort to tofu or soy.

So far the best stuff I've seen is white kidney beans (8g protein per 1/2 cup) or raw almonds but sadly their calories are almost double that of eggs and don't even come near the protein of chicken or fish
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I could never give up meat. I will say I'm eating more veggies and enjoying them tremendously, and as a result I'm eating less meat. But give it up? No way. So now I'm enjoying cauliflower, broccoli, zuccini, butternut squash, turnips, brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc. Nuts I like, but I have a diffcult time portioning them.

Personally, I don't think eliminating meat is a good idea, and if you enjoy it, why stop eating it?

So, instead of eating a 12 oz. steak, have 4 oz. and a small potato and plenty of veggies! :drinker:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    There is no single type of plant based food that supplies the full range of essential amino acids (in adequate amounts). Generally you have to combine sources to get the amino acid "equivalent" of meat/animal protein. Common combinations that work are rice and beans or corn and soy. As GauchoMark said, though, it's hard to keep carbs down on a completely plant based diet.

This is really OLD information that has since been proven to be untrue. I don't eat meat, cheese or dairy at all. My protein comes entirely from veggies, nuts, etc. It can be done. I am in better health than I ever was eating animal protein.
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    My protein comes entirely from veggies, nuts, etc. It can be done. I am in better health than I ever was eating animal protein.

That's awesome I'll keep looking into it and I'll check through your diary for ideas as well. Thanks!