How to Hire a GOOD Trainer?

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
How do you hire a trainer through a gym such as LA Fitness? We don't have many independent trainers in my area; only "trainers" (if you can call them that) where i have my gym membership.

I see them walking around with their "clients" completely clueless, letting them perform exercises with poor form, not even paying attention to them, and collecting a paycheck. Additionally they all have CERTs (but hey, not degrees). I'm fairly certain i could pass the test for their certification easily.

I want a trainer for the following-

1.) I want to be able to lift heavy and actually have someone spot me. I work out alone and feel like i've struggled to go up in certain lifts specifically so i don't pin myself/break my neck/etc.

2.) I was to be able to do 3 sets of 10 pulls up, dips, and go up about 5-10% on all of my lifts

3.) I want to lose another 4 % body fat

4.) I want to try new things that I cannot with the current set up of equipment (for example, clean & press, jerk, etc.)

I DO NOT want a "trainer" who is my age, is less knowledgeable, doesn't know what the hell their talking about, and wants to put me on their same generic "plan" i see them put everyone on. I also don't want one to tell me about my diet/eating routine as they spout broscience like a mofo; and I physically cannot eat meat.

So here's my question... how do i hire a trainer to do the above.... WITHOUT offending/pissing them off/ telling them they aren't good enough and really find someone who's willing to work with MY goals?

Does anyone else have a trainer through a national gym chain? What are your thoughts/opinions?

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I belong to LA Fitness too. When I met with the first trainer they assigned me, I explained that I wanted to lift heavy and do a lot of compound lifts. He said "Uh huh, sure we can do that" and then proceeded to have me do 50 reps of something on machines. I tried again to explain my goals without much luck. So I decided to try another trainer. When I told the new trainer my favorite lift was the deadlift, his eyes lit up. LOL.

My new trainer is ALL about form. We did nothing last night except hang cleans. Over and over to get my form correct. It was brutal. And so much fun!!

If I had to do it over again, I would talk to the LA Fitness training salesperson and explain exactly what you are looking for and ask them to match you up with a trainer. THEN I would interview the heck out of the person they set you up with. It is worth "burning" one of your sessions to go over your goals with them. Based on the criteria you laid out in your post, I would ask the following questions:

1) I want to lift heavy and I want to focus on XYZ lifts. How would you incorporate that into a routine?

2) How would help me in accomlishing my goal to go up in lifts and do 3 sets of pull ups, dips, etc? Please be SPECIFIC!

3) I want to lose another 4% of body fat. What nutrition and activity advice could you give me to help meet this goal?

4) I want to try new lifts. What types of lifts could help me meet my goals and allow me to learn something new?

Bottom line, I would try several different trainers, interview them each, and if none of them meet your standards, then complain to the gym management. (I was about at that point when I started working with this new trainer and we "clicked.") And frankly, I wouldn't worry about offending/pissing them off. You are paying a LOT of money to buy their services. If they aren't up to the task, too bad for them. I'm pretty sure I pissed off the first trainer I worked with at LAF, but oh well. I've seen that he's working with fewer and fewer clients these days, so my guess is I'm not the only one.

Feel free to message me if you have any speicific questions.

Edited to correct typo.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My young (24) nephew is a "personal trainer" at one of the large chain fitness centres in the city I live in.

His "training" consisted of a week-long program taught by the chain itself that he (or should I say his parents) paid $500 for.

He and his parents are offended that I wouldn't hire him to be my personal trainer. Like I really want a 20-something kid without any officially recognized certification training a middle-aged woman.

He also spouts "broscience like a mofo" (I love that statement!!) and doesn't seem to understand that there are limitations to my performance based on my age, fitness level, etc.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I will say that my trainer is 24 also. He has a bachelors' degree in exercise physiology and is working on his masters' in physical therapy. Even though he is young, he seems to get what my challenges are as a 47 year old out of shape woman. So far, I haven't heard him sprout any broscience.....but we've only worked out for 6 weeks. There's still time. LOL

I wouldn't discount someone due to age, but I would discount them due to lack of education, experience, and/or an understanding of my goals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Excellent responses so far, thank you!!

Anyone else have a positive/negative experience with a trainer from a chain gym?
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I am also a LA Fitness member. Last night I there was a trainer training a girl and for the 15 min that I was with them in the same room, he just talked about himself and HIS goals. He would tell the girl" ok, now you'll do 20 side crunches", and then when she started he went on" ... so you know I've cut out salt out of my diets, and it was all fine, but yesterday it was hell... I really don't like brussel sprouts, but I eat them because they are the best vegetable calorie/fiber wise out there.... I climbed rope over the weekend, and it's about the legs and not the arms....". I just thought to myself, that I hope he's her buddy and not someone she pays.
    Extensive interviewing seems to be great advice. Definitely don't settle.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The trainers at the Y I go to seem to be on the upper end of average... but I train at a different, independent gym. I started with looking at the trainer bios, but interviewing is the key - I lucked out and the trainer I picked from his bio really listened to what I said my goals were and was immediately on board.

Definitely don't worry about offending them with your questions - you are hiring them, which makes you the boss. And it's especially important, because you're hiring them to tell you what to do - if you don't agree with what they're saying, you're not going to do it and then what are you paying them for? PLUS it's their job to push you out of your comfort zone, so you'd really better trust that they know what they're doing. Obviously don't sign up for the yearlong package right out of the gate - the gym I train at offers a three-session starter package (one interview/discussion/fitness evaluation, two training sessions), and I think that's a great idea.

Although for an alternate point of view, I know one of my trainer's clients walked in, said that if he could make him puke he'd sign a contract, and then did exactly that. But I'm not sure I'd recommend that decision-making model.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    "bro science"...you sicken me at times....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ask how much he/she squats? Ask him to show you.

Ask how he/she feels about carbs, dairy, milk, ect. (The correct answer is: whatever fits your macros unless you have sensitivities.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I've personally found that trainers with degrees seem to be less broscience then those who just are certified without degrees. I also believe that physiques give you an indication of how much they may believe in certain training methods.
    Also WATCH them train others. That will give you an idea if you like their style of training and also philosophy of training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition