Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't skip logging your calories, but instead of getting down about the results, treat it as a learning experience; look at what you love to eat and find ways to adapt recipes and/or orders if at restaurants to make things less calorie-intense. That's one of the things I've found that's easy and sustainable; log everything and analyze what does and doesn't fit well into your diet plan. Small changes to everyday items work really well; it might be as simple as switching condiments on a sandwich or cutting portions slightly that can make something that used to kill your counts into a healthier option. For instance, my family has always been big on Sunday breakfast, my father (also using MFP, down 30+ lbs since Jan 1) has taken to making smaller omelets, only using one egg yoke instead of two and cutting down on the volume of bacon or sausage.

In my opinion, you're more likely to succeed with your dieting goals by making many small adjustments, progressively changing the way you look at how/what you eat over time to make meaningful changes. Especially when other people (who may or may not want to share in your dieting) are involved, I've found it a much more sustainable approach to keep changes gradual.

A "cheat" day (closer to maintenance calories than target, nothing to high or absurd) every few weeks does help keep your metabolism churning and make the days you hit your target much more effective. I don't have a set schedule for mine but just pay attention to how I feel my metabolism is doing, if I feel like I'm stalling a little, I'll not pay as much attention for a day or two, still logging, and get back to my target going forward. Also, be sure to remember it's not just about the calories, even on "off" days, I try to keep to the same distribution of carbs/protein/fat, maybe even stay a little more low-carb than usual; I find the pie chart on the mobile apps are great for keeping an eye on this.

Lastly, as far as "making this a lifestyle choice", I would try and make logging habitual, that you don't eat anything without thinking about it beforehand or looking at it's impact afterward. Planning meals and logging ahead of time works well for me to plan out my day are hit my target consistently. Along the same thought as trying to adjust current eating habits, more than anything, I feel more educated about what to eat, how much to eat, and how to be healthy; making this much more than just a weight-loss tool.
  • enitsirhck
    enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So there a specific few days a week (two total) that I usually see the person I'm dating, and we usually go out to eat delicious food (unhealthy) or I try to cook something impressive (usually high calorie and unhealthy).

Yo, apart from all the other advice you're getting here, you need to STOP THIS HABIT RIGHT NOW. Seriously. You are going to mentally associate this person with eating crap food and then when you start seeing this person more frequently, you will end up eating crap food every time, until "cheat day" becomes "cheat week" becomes "cheat life".

Next time you see this person, plan to do something relatively active that you might have in common, go for a walk, bike ride, go to a museum or art gallery - try to avoid a mall or area with lots of fast-food - I do not care WHERE you live, you can find SOMETHING to do that does not have a built in fast food places to eat - and plan to eat at a specific place, preferably somewhere that specializes in something somewhat healthy like wraps, sushi, seafood (stick to steamed seafood and away from any butter/cream sauces).

Next time you cook for this person, for shoots sake, this is the internet, you can find TONS of impressive recipes that are NOT BAD FOR YOU! For main courses: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/ has TONS of recipes that appeal to all tastes and go light on the "bad" stuff. For desserts, my ultimate go-to is http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/ - the one recipe that people always request I make is her Chocolate Bar Pie (it's like mousse but made with tofu!!)

So seriously, be aware that you are setting up a very dangerous precedent in this relationship. My fiance and I both used to be heavy, and I know I tried to show my love by cooking "the good stuff" like mac and cheese, meat loaf, and lots of saucy cheesy dishes for him and giving him a triple portion because "he's a big guy!" One day we both realized that we couldn't go on like that - I've lost 40+ lbs and he's lost 60+ lbs - I make him tofu cake and steamed veggies and he still loves me just as much!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have had a "cheat day" or two just about every week since starting this weight loss thing in January. I'm down over 41 lbs. It works for me, may not work for everyone. I just tend to eat less healthy on weekends, I'm out with my family or whatever, it happens. I do also tend to be more active on weekends as we are usually outside walking around, biking, etc. instead of sitting in my office for 8 hrs. Usually dinner is what gets me and sodium. I just get right back to it during the week and drink lots of water with lemon to flush out the sodium and water weight gain.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days at all. No reason to, every reason why not.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    the only person you are cheating is yourself.......out of a healthy life and puts you are farther away from were you could have been if you had not cheated

why not earn the cals and enjoy the things you like,

Exactly.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't like calling it cheat days lol but I don't log on the weekends, but we usually go out and walk around a lot and I am very conscious of what I am eating so I don't over do it. I did last weekend and it set me back.
  • mcbriderosejennifer
    Options
    The weekends are my days, I know ill get back on
    Track Monday so i don't worry too much
    When I choose to have a frap or eat
    Out twice in one day. I figure I'm
    Loosin weight and having a day or two
    Where I eat worse is still tremendously
    Better then where I was three weeks ago
    I also figure I eat so good during the wk
    That it all pans out in the end anyway
    Also I don't deprive myself, for me
    This is about being accountable to not
    Eating three candy bars a day etc but
    More so being conscience of what goes
    Into my body
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food on weekends and that's when I'll eat whatever I want without worrying about it. I don't exercise on the weekends either unless it's a hike, swimming, or a round of tennis.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine as long as you are able to just have the day, and not have it turn into cheat week or month.
  • Nessie_333
    Nessie_333 Posts: 33
    Options
    You need to have a cheat day to stay sane! ;)
    I usually have an oven-baked whole chicken (I share it with my boyfriend) and I enjoy the skin too, I am having something sweet too, usually it's homemade cheesecake. It's one day you look forward to, that keeps you going.

Here is a good video by Brad Gouthro, on 6 cheat meal rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcvY85VSPcE
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who I have seen lose the most weight and keep it off have days or meals where they can indulge. Just try and still hit your macros.

It can be very negative to go, 'I am never going to eat this or that food again' and some people can't maintain this unrealistic way of life. If you're still losing weight I don't see why you can't have a cheat day or meal.

Enjoy it. :happy:
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal - just plan for it. I ate at basically maintenance level a few days ago, which was only the first or second time in two months I've eaten that much. Ate very little the next day, though (and it was easy to eat that little). Average the two days and I would've had two nice, normal days. Back to normal today.

Just look at a rolling 3-4 day average, maybe, or maybe take a look at the whole week. As long as you compensate for it regularly on some other days of the week, it won't even slow you down.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So there a specific few days a week (two total) that I usually see the person I'm dating, and we usually go out to eat delicious food (unhealthy) or I try to cook something impressive (usually high calorie and unhealthy).

Yo, apart from all the other advice you're getting here, you need to STOP THIS HABIT RIGHT NOW. Seriously. You are going to mentally associate this person with eating crap food and then when you start seeing this person more frequently, you will end up eating crap food every time, until "cheat day" becomes "cheat week" becomes "cheat life".

Next time you see this person, plan to do something relatively active that you might have in common, go for a walk, bike ride, go to a museum or art gallery - try to avoid a mall or area with lots of fast-food - I do not care WHERE you live, you can find SOMETHING to do that does not have a built in fast food places to eat - and plan to eat at a specific place, preferably somewhere that specializes in something somewhat healthy like wraps, sushi, seafood (stick to steamed seafood and away from any butter/cream sauces).

Next time you cook for this person, for shoots sake, this is the internet, you can find TONS of impressive recipes that are NOT BAD FOR YOU! For main courses: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/ has TONS of recipes that appeal to all tastes and go light on the "bad" stuff. For desserts, my ultimate go-to is http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/ - the one recipe that people always request I make is her Chocolate Bar Pie (it's like mousse but made with tofu!!)

So seriously, be aware that you are setting up a very dangerous precedent in this relationship. My fiance and I both used to be heavy, and I know I tried to show my love by cooking "the good stuff" like mac and cheese, meat loaf, and lots of saucy cheesy dishes for him and giving him a triple portion because "he's a big guy!" One day we both realized that we couldn't go on like that - I've lost 40+ lbs and he's lost 60+ lbs - I make him tofu cake and steamed veggies and he still loves me just as much!

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's habits like yours that end up with two very overweight married people. Look at wedding pictures for people married 10 years and currently obese.
  • taylorgang120c
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but whenever I feel like eating something I don't deprive myself and I make sure I don't over-indulge.

Love this! Good thinking!
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    hmmm my thoughts on cheat days well your really just cheating your self try making some healthy food on your dates healthy food can taste better anyways :smile:
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I don't really agree with this. I think there truly are exceptions. It is impossible to be perfect. No one is. I run everyday and eat very healthy but I know I won't this Saturday. Our oldest daughter is having her birthday party and I most definitely plan on having some cake. If I don't what am I supposed to tell her? "Sorry sweetheart, mommy has to always eat heathy so no cake for me." Talk about the start of making a little girl self conscious about what she eats. Instead of my usual ham sandwich I'm going to enjoy some Chick-fil-A nuggets. If the number on the scale is higher Sunday then so be it. I'll just run longer that day and go back to eating healthy. So yes, there are valid reasons to enjoy a "cheat" day every once in awhile.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I don't really agree with this. I think there truly are exceptions. It is impossible to be perfect. No one is. I run everyday and eat very healthy but I know I won't this Saturday. Our oldest daughter is having her birthday party and I most definitely plan on having some cake. If I don't what am I supposed to tell her? "Sorry sweetheart, mommy has to always eat heathy so no cake for me." Talk about the start of making a little girl self conscious about what she eats. Instead of my usual ham sandwich I'm going to enjoy some Chick-fil-A nuggets. If the number on the scale is higher Sunday then so be it. I'll just run longer that day and go back to eating healthy. So yes, there are valid reasons to enjoy a "cheat" day every once in awhile.

For people who actually have that control, it's fine. But I am the first to admit my problem. I know I wont be able to stop, so I just don't start. People like to say "Just use discipline and have it in moderation!" I liken this to an abusive relationship. I would not tell a woman to go back and get black eyes in moderation, or tell a recovered alcoholic to have drinks in moderation. I have seen people go from their lifestyle of simple over indulgence to respectful moderation. I gotta say, I have respect for that. I might even be a little jealous. But in the end, I hope to have made progress into being able to just stop at one moderate sized scoop of ice cream or piece of cake. I also always hear, "You over ate junk food because you were depriving yourself!" Junk food was my lifestyle. And I mean I was eating a lot of junk. I would have candy all day at work, a pint of ice cream after work, cookies while I was making dinner, potato chips after dinner and more cookies before bed. It was like a snowball rolling down a hill. The more I had the sweets or pizza, or what ever, the more I wanted it. But really, no one is invalidating cheat days here, just there are some folks who can't or don't want to. My daughter is having her birthday tomorrow. I won't eat any cake because I remember what happened when I had one innocent piece of cake on Easter. It was like I had hit the hungry button and I couldn't turn it off again. So for the time being, I will just have to live vicariously through the indulgence of others, and hopefully find what ever it is is that turns me into a ravenous beast upon the sight of any thing sweet.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I do it on a Friday night, after I weigh in. Then I just make sure I really pull my head in for the rest of the week. You've got to live a little :flowerforyou:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Why not just make healthier choices when you go out to eat and when you cook if you know you are eating unhealthy foods? It's about a lifestyle change, not dieting to lose weight and then go back to eating unhealthily. IMO anyway.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    every Sunday I go visit my Dad and we go out for lunch. I only have a main course and I see it as a `treat meal` rather than a `cheat meal`

I only have a small breakfast that day and sometimes I don`t bother with dinner as I am not hungry.

It works for me.

If what you do works for you then don`t sweat it