Cardio first or Strength Training first

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Another vote for doing cardio and weights on separate days.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    I don't do the cardio warm up before, I just stretch real well, hop on the foam roller and do a couple warm up sets for that muscle group.. I do cardio on separate days, or a hiit session after I lift
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I have been told different things but i tend to just warm up on the rower, Do my program whatever that might be then cardio

My trainer said you suppose to use up/ burn or carbs etc etc doing your weights first ( i have no idea what the science terms are that just all i can remember so don't quote me haha) so that when you get to do your Cardio it should be really hard like you've really got to push your self.

That's how i Know if iv done enough weight training, When I'm pooped when i get round to cardio.

If Iv done weights etc ill prob only do 30min ish cardio after then come in the next day and just do cardio.

whatever works for you i guess, I also do a lot of group fitness classes that have a mix of both.
    It has to do with glycogen storages, but people don't deplete them if they're going to do a couple of biceps curls and then do ab crunches then peace out.
  • rebekahheiner
    rebekahheiner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, I was told that by a personal trainer for the Marine Corps and the Jacksonville Jaguars. So, if I'm misinformed, I guess SHE'S misinformed.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I like cardio first as a warm up. The hit the weights once I have about 30 minutes of HIIT in. All good.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I like to split them out on to different days. Means I can give my all to both activities.

That's exactly what I do. I never lift and do cardio on the same day unless it's a weekend when I can do one early AM and one later in the PM. I couldn't imagine having the energy to do one right after the other.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've worked with three personal trainers and all three had me doing cardio first...It is a matter of preference. I could not start lifting weights until I am good and warmed up.
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always switch it up......it's good to keep the body guessing.

Agree ... Ive learned to always keep the body guessing, switch it up... I don't know which way is better but it helps prevent things from getting too routine and stagnant
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,588 Member
    Options
    unless you're training specifically for cardio performance, you do weights first.
    This. Use your glycogen advantageously.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've worked with three personal trainers and all three had me doing cardio first...It is a matter of preference. I could not start lifting weights until I am good and warmed up.

IMO a warmup session is different that a cardio session. And yes, you should warmup before you lift.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,588 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you do cardio then strength. Something about your muscles burning more productively when you're at your target heart rate. I may be misinformed, but it's worked for me. Sometimes, I'll do half my cardio, a set of each of my weight lifting, and then the other half of my cardio and another set of each exercise. That way, I don't burn out too quickly and my heart rate stays up the entire workout.
    It's broscience. Muscle burns glycogen based on intensity of work. Keeping ones heart rate up through out a work out works on conditioning, if that's the goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I may be in the minority here, but I like to split them out on to different days. Means I can give my all to both activities.

That's exactly what I do. I never lift and do cardio on the same day unless it's a weekend when I can do one early AM and one later in the PM. I couldn't imagine having the energy to do one right after the other.

Me too...if I do an intense cardio session before a lift, I could never get my weights up and get my progressions...too much weight with jello legs from running; hell, sometimes the cardio I do on my non-lift days interferes with my recovery and my lifts suck *kitten* the next day. Conversely, after a good lifting session, sometimes I can barely walk down the stairs to the locker room and out to the car...let alone get in a good cardio session.

OP...it really depends on your goals. I'm doing a progressive weight training program right now, and it pretty much kicks my *kitten*...I can't do jack on lift days other than some light walking at lunch. I try to jog 3 miles on my off days...but sometimes I can't get there because my legs are shot to **** from my lifts the day before. If I was training for an endurance event it would be another story and I'd probably put more emphasis on cardio.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I've tried it both ways and for me, I have to do my weights first. If I do cardio first, it really negatively affects my performance with weights. Plus, I turn into a total whiner during my lifting session, lol.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have to do my cardio first or do some before and some after. If I do weights first, two things happen. 1) I get wrapped up in my lifting and run out of time for cardio, since I am on a tight schedule when I am in the gym. or 2) I do my lifting and then go to run and just run out of steam. Especially right now that I am training for my first half, any days where I am lifting and running I run first. It just works MENTALLY for me better and I do better on my run. I have read time and again that you should do weights first, but any time I try my workout just isn't as good to me. So i guess I have decided to just do whats best for me, I only do weights and cardio on the same day once a week now, so it doesnt really seem to mess with my progress at all. :smile:
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I personally, on days when I'm doing both cardio and lifting (3x a week), lift first. I do warm up with baby weights (2kg atm) for a few minutes doing some squats, extensions, presses, etc. before switching over to the heavier weights.
    Back in the gym days, I always used to do pump then combat. But I don't know if it's just habit. I do feel quite tired after cardio most days, so not sure what it'd be like to do weights with thighs feeling like jelly meat if I switched it around to try. I'd probably stare at the weights rack and go "nah" :laugh:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi .. I would have to agree with what everyone else said. It depends ;)

You can do light cardio before weights.

You can do serious cardio before weights if you only do a couple of light weight exercises after.

If you do serious weights then do cardio after weights.

If you don't want to lose any muscles also keep your cardio after weights shorter than 20-25minutes. If some muscle loss is acceptable then do more cardio that's fine.

Doing weights and then cardio actually works out well for fat loss (this I've only read about not verified). Apparantly it has to do with your sugar energy being depleted after weights and your cardio then addressing mostly fat later.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes...I believe you are right...I did a shorter cardio workout and then lifted and then a longer cardio...come to think of it.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options

This is what I do also. I do a 10 minute warm up on the treadmill before I lift, and cardio on non-lifting days. If I do a proper weight training session I'm too whipped to do cardio.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Eh.

I do 20 minutes of cardio early in the morning so I'll be a little more awake for work. I lift in the evenings.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 20-25 minutes of HIIT then 30-45 minutes of lifting on upper body days. I never feel too pooped out to wreck it on weights. My doing the cardio gets me amped up, as much as I hate it with a passion.
    On leg days I do 15-20 minutes of HIIT then 30-45 minutes of lifting, then 10-20 minutes of steady pace cardio on the elliptical. I read that it helps with the blood flow and reduces soreness. I've done it the past 3 sessions with no pain the next day! (And yes I'm still pushing myself, my weights have gone up every week)

Buuuuuut, to each their own. :flowerforyou: