How do I know what my macros should be?

Options
I'm kinda new to this and am a little unsure of this whole 'macros' thing. How do I determine the % of what my calories should come from for my fitness goals?
Thanks for any help,
Tom

Replies

• tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I would like some knowledge about that too. I have read and seen that protein should be approximately 1 g (some say 0.7-0.8g) of proteine per LBM and fat should be 0.35 g per LBM. Anybody with more knowledge who can confirm or invalidate?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    it all depends on your goals (lose weight, gain weight)

mine for example are:

1700 calories
    40% protein (170 g)
    35% carbs (149 g)
    25% fats (47 g)
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I was told to lose weight and have lean muscle mass to stick with 40% carbs,30% fat and 30% protein. Usually if I go over in any category it's protein.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with my macro percentages right now-playing around with 2,000-2,100 calories and F50/P25/C25 for percentages.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I would like some knowledge about that too. I have read and seen that protein should be approximately 1 g (some say 0.7-0.8g) of proteine per LBM and fat should be 0.35 g per LBM. Anybody with more knowledge who can confirm or invalidate?

I've heard similar to this as well. Set protein and fat based on your body, and then make up the rest with carbs. I have mine set to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. 143g carbs, 48g fat, 107g protein. That's about 1g per pound of my lean body mass for protein, and about .45g fat per pound my lean body mass. The rest is carbs. I've seen good results with these macros, though sometimes I have a problem with going over on carbs.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

Dang this is helpful. Wish we saw info like this posted around MFP more often.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Dang this is helpful. Wish we saw info like this posted around MFP more often.

I used the Mifflin-St Jeor equation and found that my basal requirements are 709 cal per day, with my activity set at sedentary I get 850 cal per day. Yet I am told not to go under 1200, and when I do the very low calorie, high protein low carb, that is when I lose. I did Jenny Craig and could never get below 142 lbs, and it took me 3 1/2 years to lose the weight (35 lbs).

This is the equation that I used:
    /Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
    MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
    WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

And this one supposedly OVERestimates my needs. Something isn't right.
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Pending any medical reasons to eat a particular way, I wouldn't stress it. I would focus on eating clean (i.e. half your plate filled with vegetables, a quarter filled with protein, a quarter with grains or starchy vegetables, and a sprinkling of quality oil).