High Blood Pressure members - HELP!

Options

Replies

• luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've had blood pressure problems since I was 17. Had pregnancy-induced hypertension that never went back to normal, and even now (12 years later) without medication my BP runs about 150/105. Everyone else has given pretty good advice already. All you can do is adjust your diet accordingly and hope your BP stabilizes. Just don't let yourself get discouraged if you have to go on meds. I have taken 3 different types over the years, and have tried repeatedly to go off of them, with no success. I just think there are some cases where the natural methods just aren't enough. Good luck!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I take lisinopril as well, and have actually had the best luck with it. I was put on it after I had my twins and what I was taking (Aldomet) was no longer working. I initially took a Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiozide combo because I was retaining fluid after my pregnancy. I would recommend checking into it, it did wonders for me!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I take lisinopril as well, and have actually had the best luck with it. I was put on it after I had my twins and what I was taking (Aldomet) was no longer working. I initially took a Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiozide combo because I was retaining fluid after my pregnancy. I would recommend checking into it, it did wonders for me!

I am going to see about switching to that one soon. I don't know why my dumb doctor didn't consider it when I came to her complaining of water retension. She put me on a beta blocker and it was aweful.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If you have been hypertensive for the last 26 years, it might be time to take some pills.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Blood pressure fluctuates and chances are your body was just stressed when you got your reading. Follow doctor's orders eat a low sodium diet (the DASH diet is generally recommended), exercise when you can, consider some meditation...

If worse comes to worse, they may prescribe blood pressure meds... but that doesn't mean you'll be on them forever. When I was diagnosed with hypertension I was 24 with regular BP readings 180/120. I took the Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiozide combo pill for two years and was eventually able to wean myself off them entirely.

Now I'm medication-free with 120/80... still though... when I get overly stressed out or visit the doctor (it's called "white coat syndrome") my BP skyrockets.

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I've learned a lot about health. Here are a few suggestions to try:

1) Sodium chloride, which is what you get in table salt from the store, is not really good for you. You should look into getting some Himalayan salt. It is gray and has magnesium, which helps lower blood pressure. Granted, you don't want to overdo it, but if something really needs salt, that would be what you should use.

2) Watch Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. You might want to consider trying the protocol in the video. It might help. At least, it helped the people in the video.

3) Cut out all refined foods from your diet. This includes refined oils, white flours, and sugar. These things irritate the circulatory system and put you at higher risk for heart disease. You can lower your risk by cutting them out.

Good luck!
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Also, try deep breathing before and during the blood pressure check. On the out breath, think "relax". This helps me a lot. It can lower my blood pressure in seconds!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I am going to see about switching to that one soon. I don't know why my dumb doctor didn't consider it when I came to her complaining of water retension. She put me on a beta blocker and it was aweful.

I took lisinopril for over a year while I was losing weight. It worked, but I was one of the "lucky ones" who got the coughing side effect. The frequency of it did decrease after awhile, but coughing to the point of vomiting really sucked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I've had issues with my blood pressure since I was 15. I don't currently drink or smoke (2 years smoke free). I've been a member of MFP for around 2 years. I've tried paleo, vegan, Weight Watchers, low carb, high protein and a slew of other things. Up to a week ago I was running 3.5-4 miles on the treadmill 3 times a week. Hurt my knee, went to the Dr. today and he was more concerned with my blood pressure. It was 162/95 they took it again 10 minutes later and it actually went up. They want me back in the office in 6 weeks and all he said was eat a low sodium diet whatever the hell that is, keep exercising and drop some weight. He mentioned that he could give me pills for the blood pressure and weight loss. I'm not one to take pills just to take pills and i've been fighting this issue for the last 5 years. I do all the cooking at the house, but am running out of time and ideas. Therefore I am asking the MFP community or those of you that have high blood pressure issues for some help with diet because something has to give.

Thank you in advance for the help
    Fatboy235

Diet can help, but it doesn't always fix it. I eat a very low sodium diet, run and walk upwards of 20 miles per week, lift heavy weights, and am at a healthy weight and BF% and I still have to take my BP meds...I'm off everything else though.

Often times, hypertension is just genetic. I take lisinopril with a diuretic and a beta blocker...I haven't had any negative side effects and these keep my BP completely normal, which is the most important thing. My grandfather died young from never addressing his high blood pressure issues...blood vessel burst in his brain. My dad also neglected to do anything about his and was diagnosed with kidney disease due to his high BP when he was 50.

If you can't get it under control with diet and exercise, definitely take the meds and save your life.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    My diary is open and is working for me. I have been taking BP meds for 23 years. Taking 12 pills/day my BP would not stay below 150/100. Three weeks after starting MFP and seeing how much sodium is in processed food I had to stop all but 3 of them because I got the salt out of my diet.. Fresh boiled or steamed vegetables = 4-6 cups of them/day with no salt make up the bulk of what I eat. One pinch of salt = 295mg sodium. I dont put salt on anything. I aim for 1,000- 1,200 mg of sodium/day after he saw I was averaging 414 mg/day and said that was too low. If you have any questions about my diet send me a msg.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If you've had high bp since you were 15 and you are not 40, I don't see what the doctor is assuming you'll accomplish in 6 months that you couldn't accomplish in all those years?

I"m going to ask my sister to point me to the study that showed therapeutic garlic pills were as effective as regular bp meds without the side effects. Magnesium is also something that you should look into. Is there any chance you could see a naturopath?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your BP at home for a week?
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Take the medicine for HBP. Not work having a stroke. I have been on medicine since my early 20's and check my blood pressure a few times a week and it is always boarderline to normal. I know pills aren't all that exciting, but if you are doing everything else to prolong your life, why not try to control the blood pressure through medication. Do the smart thing.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Also, invest in a BP monitor for your home. Walgreens has a very good brand, very reliable and reputable. Get the one with the electrical cord, not battery operated. Chart your BP 2x a day for a few weeks. It could just be that you have a severe case of White-Coat Syndrome, and your BP goes up in the doctor's office. It shouldn't go that high, but...

Yep I had a bad case of white coat syndrome. My BP was like the OP's at the doctors. she lent me a BP monitor to track my BP at home 4 times a day for a week. It also showed my BP as high every time. Doc wanted to put me on Meds straight away but I declined as I was having trouble with taking my BP with the monitor at home and thought something was not right.

The next day I went and bought my own monitor checked it for a week the same and if anything my BP is actually low at 110-118/70-77. The doctors monitor she lent me was later found to be faulty also. It pays to check things out completely before going on meds.

My average BP for yesterday was 118/70.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I was 250 Lbs I had a little bit of BP like 139 but I felt dizzy and nauseous. Once I started exercising I started feeling better. I was also drinking a veggie shake in the morning containing Nopal, orange juice from a fresh orange, half a stick of celery and a tblsp of oatmeal . The power ingredient is Nopal Cactus, it has very powerful antioxidants and helps with lots of those problems, I did it for a month then stopped for a month and again. I drink it once in a blue moon but see i grew up with nopales and I like them lol Go with natural remedies. Good luck!
  • jonipaxton
    jonipaxton Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello There,

Wow...some GREAT insight & advice from many people, I also understand BP issues as I had been prescribed with meds for it myself but am now off due to weight loss & some great natural supplement's (fish oil, Co-Q-10 & garlic) this can work wonders for you, check out a Vitamin World if you get a chance!!!

I wish you success & wellness on your journey!

Warm Wishes,
    Joni
  • amykens
    amykens Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, genetics can contribute to high blood pressure. The fact that you have had issues since you were a teenager, I think this is probably true for you.

Making sure you are drinking enough water, and watching the sodium levels in whatever you drink are other areas you can look at to see where you are getting excess sodium.

You should also see if they have tested for other issues like thyroid problems to see if they are contributing to your hypertension also.

Good Luck!
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have High BP, but I have worked in a doctor's office as a Medical Assistant. As someone else has said already, it may be possible that you have "white coat syndrome." It's a real thing! You should definitely monitor your blood pressure at home if you can- or go to the same machine at the same store once a week to get the most accurate results. Keep a log. If you are doing adequate cardio and are following a low sodium diet and your BP is still high all the time (not just at the office) I would think that it may be genetic. Nobody likes to be on pills these days, but it could be a necessary for you. There are also herbals and supplements that may help- maybe talk to your doc about it? Keep up all your good work and best of luck to you!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have High BP, but I have worked in a doctor's office as a Medical Assistant. As someone else has said already, it may be possible that you have "white coat syndrome." It's a real thing! You should definitely monitor your blood pressure at home if you can- or go to the same machine at the same store once a week to get the most accurate results. Keep a log. If you are doing adequate cardio and are following a low sodium diet and your BP is still high all the time (not just at the office) I would think that it may be genetic. Nobody likes to be on pills these days, but it could be a necessary for you. There are also herbals and supplements that may help- maybe talk to your doc about it? Keep up all your good work and best of luck to you!

The machines in stores are not reliable for accuracy. The are used by so many people all day long, each day. They get bumped and jostled and knocked around by the people using them, by the cleaning crew, by little kids climbing on it, etc. They are rarely checked and recalibrated. You're better off spending the $50 and having something that you can use at home and that you know isn't being messed with.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

The machines in stores are not reliable for accuracy. The are used by so many people all day long, each day. They get bumped and jostled and knocked around by the people using them, by the cleaning crew, by little kids climbing on it, etc. They are rarely checked and recalibrated. You're better off spending the $50 and having something that you can use at home and that you know isn't being messed with.

Yes--I have checked the accuracy of the machine at the pharmacy we use and I've checked the accuracy of the one at our doc's office against ours at home. The one at the pharmacy varies the most from ours at home.