Options

Replies

• calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Did it look like this?
    wf_zps3ec2853d.gif

Haha love it!!

The dropping weights and the super loud grunting= everybody please look at me I'm the ****!! But just makes them looks stupid
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I worked at a gym....don't drop the weights! Especially the heavy ones! Those suckers WILL break. Couldn't tell you how many dumb bells I saw busted because they were dropped. Not to mention it's annoying as hell!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've read there is nothing beneficial about the negative on the dead lift. It can be down right dangerous for other oly lifts. If you have bumper plates, and a lifting platform, why not?

We don't have any of those.

We have two bars, and one's already bent.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The dropping weights and the super loud grunting= everybody please look at me I'm the ****!! But just makes them looks stupid

Things that will help you get that last rep and break PRs:
    1 - Metal in your playlist.
    2 - Tapping into your primal instincts by grunting.
    3 - Not being afraid to drop the weights if you fail your rep. You'll get 'em next time.
    4 - Not giving a damn that others might think you look stupid. Likely that you are progressing while they are spinning their wheels (sometimes literally, on the hamster wheel).

Things that will hinder your progress:
    1 - Being judgemental about what others are doing.
    2 - Not focusing on what YOU are trying to accomplish.

As for the OP, some lifters drop the deadlift at the top in order to prevent injury during the eccentric part of the movement. And some do this even with warm up sets. If the gym owners do not have a problem with this, neither should anyone else. If the noise distracts you, you aren't focused enough. Go join Planet Fitness, and good luck with your progress.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

3 - Not being afraid to drop the weights if you fail your rep. You'll get 'em next time.
    4 - Not giving a damn that others might think you look stupid. Likely that you are progressing while they are spinning their wheels (sometimes literally, on the hamster wheel).

As for the OP, some lifters drop the deadlift at the top in order to prevent injury during the eccentric part of the movement. And some do this even with warm up sets. If the gym owners do not have a problem with this, neither should anyone else. If the noise distracts you, you aren't focused enough. Go join Planet Fitness, and good luck with your progress.

No planet fitnesses in this country.

He's broken all but the final barbell left in the gym, which he is now dropping. He's not warming up, that's his max and it's half my suitcase deadlift. His attempts at clean make it clear he has absolutely no idea what he's doing.
    I pointed him out to the PT that is Olympic qualifed, hopefully everyone will be happy if he can give him some lessons.

I hope idiots break all of your favourite equipment because they've been watching crossfit videos on YouTube :)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

He's broken all but the final barbell left in the gym, which he is now dropping. He's not warming up, that's his max and it's half my suitcase deadlift. His attempts at clean make it clear he has absolutely no idea what he's doing.
    I pointed him out to the PT that is Olympic qualifed, hopefully everyone will be happy if he can give him some lessons.

I hope idiots break all of your favourite equipment because they've been watching crossfit videos on YouTube :)

If the owner(s) of the gym have no problem with him breaking equipment and potentially losing revenue as a result, then the problem is with them. If an idiot is breaking equipment at the gym I go to, and the owners don't seem to want to do anything about it (including replacing the equipment), I would find another, better gym.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There's a very important part of weight lifting called Time Under Tension. Lifting involves the eccentric (easy or negative part of the lift), isometric (pause between easy/hard) and the concentric (harder or positive part of the lift). Slowing or for argument's sake completing the eccentric part of the lift is extremely important for muscle tension as this is when the muscle lengthens. So if you just drop the weights on the easy part, you're basically excluding 1/2 of the lift and therefore getting 1/2 the time under tension and 1/2 the benefit.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

If the owner(s) of the gym have no problem with him breaking equipment and potentially losing revenue as a result, then the problem is with them. If an idiot is breaking equipment at the gym I go to, and the owners don't seem to want to do anything about it (including replacing the equipment), I would find another, better gym.

I did. This is the last in the city. They're all chain gyms and don't care about fixing or replacing anything. If I could afford my own/had somewhere to put it I would.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There's a very important part of weight lifting called Time Under Tension. Lifting involves the eccentric (easy or negative part of the lift), isometric (pause between easy/hard) and the concentric (harder or positive part of the lift). Slowing or for argument's sake completing the eccentric part of the lift is extremely important for muscle tension as this is when the muscle lengthens. So if you just drop the weights on the easy part, you're basically excluding 1/2 of the lift and therefore getting 1/2 the time under tension and 1/2 the benefit.

Assuming that someone dropped the weights after each rep, then yes they would get 1/2 the benefit. I 100% agree with your comment as a "scientific" reason not to drop weights.

Besides that, it just so damn obnoxious! I was working out with someone who was basically lifting what I was and he dropped the weight at the end of each set while I placed it back under control. I was like "c'mon man! You really don't have to drop these weights, do you? Or maybe they are too heavy for you and not for me".
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

This.

If you are dropping your warm-up weight to "prevent injury", then hire someone to teach you how to dead lift.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bar slipped out of my hands yesterday while deadlifting w a snatch-grip. Had to drop it to prevent injury. I did feel embarrassed, though.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Watch this short video. It will answer all of your questions about the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-LFQRICR4
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this either assumes they are dropping the weight between every single rep, or that missing out on the negative of the final rep is sooopah important, or that there eccentric portion of a heavy deadlift or clean somehow outweighs the injury risk.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally like giving old people heart attacks
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lift. Heavy singles and Oly lifts with bumper plates can be dropped. I've done heavy Kroc rows for max reps and dropped the weight the 4-inches to the ground because I'm frickin' exhausted when I'm done. If I'm doing DB bench/incline bench you better believe I drop the DB's down to the side. I control the weight as far down as I can go but I'm not rupturing muscle tissue or a tendon to lightly set it down. That's why most of the gym floors are rubber. If people around me don't like it then they should go to a gym where weak people lift or where people don't push themselves.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Go to a heavy deadlift single at 95%+ of your 1RM and then come back and post that nonsense.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Go to a heavy deadlift single at 95%+ of your 1RM and then come back and post that nonsense.

Sweetie I DO Deadlifts @ 95% of 1RM and I never drop the weight. Lower it quickly yes but in control.

Just curious "what nonsense" my reply contains? What scientific benefit is there to blowing off the eccentric part of lift?

I guarantee you 99% of the meatheads in the gym dropping weights aren't going for a 1RM on their lifts.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Sweetie I DO Deadlifts @ 95% of 1RM and I never drop the weight. Lower it quickly yes but in control.

Just curious "what nonsense" my reply contains? What scientific benefit is there to blowing off the eccentric part of lift?

I guarantee you 99% of the meatheads in the gym dropping weights aren't going for a 1RM on their lifts.
    When in doubt, go with the opinion of an authority on the subject.
    From the rulebook of the United States Powerlifting Federation:

"6. Causes for Disqualification of a Deadlift
    6.7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands."

I know, not very impressive for the bro's and gym bunnies that might be watching.

Just more nonsense, I guess....
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Bar slipped out of my hands yesterday while deadlifting w a snatch-grip. Had to drop it to prevent injury. I did feel embarrassed, though.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping when you have to.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Dropping weights.. who cares.. I hate the *kitten* who dont rerack the plates..

I dont get why people care unless its someone doing overhead olympic lifts in a place where its clearly making it dangerous for other gym goers.

I'll add that if you should be in control unless your deadlifting something like twice your bodyweight (and thats still not much)

I also agree that DB bench is a scenario where you'll be dropping weights when you get to big dumbells.