Left leg doesn't match the right? Please help! (pic)

Options
JamieG8991
JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
First of all, I know I need a tan! Ha! Ok, I tore my ACL 2 years ago in my right leg. I had surgery to repair it. I've been working out for 6 months now and this is how my legs look! So, my question is should I be doing more exercises for my right leg to make them even or will that leg always look like this??? Any help would be appreciated.
2j60prr.jpg

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem?
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I damaged my knee a while back and after it had healed my physio gave me specific exercises for that leg only to get it back to strength - it doesn't help if you've been on crutches as while one leg is rested the other is working harder than ever!

Might be worth favouring your right leg a little more when exercising but honestly, it's hardly noticeable though I appreciate it's your body so you're probably more tuned in to it's idiosyncracies! :)
  • JamieG8991
    Options
    Thank you both. My son said the same thing when I showed him the pic. He said he couldn't tell. You know what they say...you are your own worst critic!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I see it, but only because you pointed it out. Are you still babying that leg, even subconsciously?
  • ivyana25
    ivyana25 Posts: 76
    Options
    You could only tell because you pointed it out... Dont stress about it... I sprained my ankel 2 months ago playing soccer... I am running to make it strong but i guess i am babying it because i feel like i work out more on my good leg than on the other one.. even though i dont realize it... So i think you may be doing the same...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Stared for 30 consecutive seconds.... don't see it. </thread>
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    we are usually never perfectly symmetrical :)
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. My son said the same thing when I showed him the pic. He said he couldn't tell. You know what they say...you are your own worst critic!

I have scoliosis which causes my right hip to be an inch higher than my left hip and I always see it in pictures, when looking in the mirror, etc, and have had a lot of people tell me they don't notice it at all. For me though my right thigh and knee are smaller in circumference than my left side (my thigh can be up to an inch smaller on the right side).

And for the record, I don't notice any difference between your two legs!
  • Cocoapuff717
    Cocoapuff717 Posts: 155
    Options
    we are usually never perfectly symmetrical :)

True story.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They look the same to me! Gosh!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Looks fine to me...I can't even tell which leg you injured just from looking.
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, and I'm usually the only person who notices.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    there was another thread on this a while back and my guess was right, so i'll try it again.
    look at the wear on the soles of your shoes. does the right match the left?

if not, you might want to get it checked out, in case your hips/spine aren't properly in line. one poster had the same and it was fixed by a chiropractor. the OPs was due to always walking a pulling dog on the same side.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you do exercise for each leg (lunges or step ups would be some examples), always start with the weaker leg, and then only do the same number of reps for the second leg. You could also benefit from having a physio watch your form. Because I have injured my knees and my left knee injury was worse (I also have orthopedic issues in my feet and the left foot was and is much worse) I would be taking all of my weight into my right leg when doing squats. I needed an outside eye to help me learn to place the weight evenly on both legs (which felt strange to me because it was not what I was used to). Sometimes what you feel in your alignment is different from what you are actually doing (if you have had injuries). And on the flip side, regardless of this, I also injured my right hamstring and my left leg is more flexible, so I was left leg dominant for most of my life as a dancer.
  • JamieG8991
    Options
    I see it, but only because you pointed it out. Are you still babying that leg, even subconsciously?
    I don't think I am, at least I know I'm not when I'm working out.
  • JamieG8991
    Options
    If you do exercise for each leg (lunges or step ups would be some examples), always start with the weaker leg, and then only do the same number of reps for the second leg. You could also benefit from having a physio watch your form. Because I have injured my knees and my left knee injury was worse (I also have orthopedic issues in my feet and the left foot was and is much worse) I would be taking all of my weight into my right leg when doing squats. I needed an outside eye to help me learn to place the weight evenly on both legs (which felt strange to me because it was not what I was used to). Sometimes what you feel in your alignment is different from what you are actually doing (if you have had injuries). And on the flip side, regardless of this, I also injured my right hamstring and my left leg is more flexible, so I was left leg dominant for most of my life as a dancer.
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my left leg is two whole inches larger and it's super noticeable (from DVT and vein/valve damage). Even still, most people tell me they can't even see it. :noway: Honestly, if you hadn't said anything, I'd never have noticed the difference in your legs. As long as it's healing, I think you're fine. Some others had good suggestions about checking posture and if you're working out equally with both legs. That sounds like a good idea to me. I don't see the point in working the weaker one more than the other just to get them to match. For my own leg, I try to just treat them both the same as much as possible, and it's slowly getting better over time with circulation and endurance (though not smaller).
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Haha!! I thought I was the only weird one!! My left leg looks amazing!!! But my right looks blah.....
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    On leg day perhaps you should do some 1 leg only exercises with the same weight to even out the imbalance? For example leg-press with just one leg.