Question about TDEE

Options
Hello all!

I'm sure this has been answered a hundred times. I apologize if it has.

When I started here at MFP, I was given a goal BY MFP of 1570 calories per day. About a week or so ago I went to scooby's workshop and calculated my TDEE - 20% and apparently I should be eating 1800 calories per day.

Here's the question - I ate back calories with the MFP goals that I earned through exercise. Should i continue to do this doing the TDEE method?

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Curiously enough, I just re-did my scooby's workshop calorie calculator and it says I should be eating at 1597 calories per day for TDEE - 20%. I chose an activity level of sedentary.

Even more curious, I went through MFP and let it calculate my goals for me through the guided way and it gave me the same recommended calorie intake per day to lose 1 pound per week.

Is that just an odd coincidence? I was always told that TDEE was different than the MFP calculations.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think that MFP sets your goals based on your activity level and then adds any calories you gain from working out into the mix. So if your goal was 1500 calories, then you burnt 250 it would make your new goal 1750.

However, with TDEE-20% it is supposed to include any calories you normally burn on a daily basis, so with it your workout calories are already factored in (that's why it asks you if you work out an hour 3x a week and so on). So for example, it would set your daily calories at 1750 from the get-go because it would already calculate in that you were going to burn that 250 calories working out.

Hopefully that makes sense!