Does this protein powder sound okay?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I am thinking of adding a protein powder to my morning after my ChaLean Extreme workouts. I am thinking of giving up coffee in exchange. This protein powder may do the trick, but I am trying to eat fairly cleanly. Here are the ingredients. I'm guessing it's not really all that "clean." What do you think?

Other Ingredients: calcium caseinate, Fructose, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), instant espresso coffee, Nonfat Milk, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Magnesium Carbonate, Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Caseinate, Potassium Phosphate, Mono and Di-Glycerides, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, alpha-tocopherol acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Selenium Amino Acid Chelate, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, chromium dinicotinate glycinate, tocopherols added to protect flavor., Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Phytonadione, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about the taste, there is some nasty ones out there
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of adding a protein powder to my morning after my ChaLean Extreme workouts. I am thinking of giving up coffee in exchange. This protein powder may do the trick, but I am trying to eat fairly cleanly. Here are the ingredients. I'm guessing it's not really all that "clean." What do you think?

Other Ingredients: calcium caseinate, Fructose, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), instant espresso coffee, Nonfat Milk, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Magnesium Carbonate, Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Caseinate, Potassium Phosphate, Mono and Di-Glycerides, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, alpha-tocopherol acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Selenium Amino Acid Chelate, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, chromium dinicotinate glycinate, tocopherols added to protect flavor., Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Phytonadione, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12

If I can't pronounce it, it don't go into my body. I'd be worried though about fructose being so high up on that list....why not just drink a glass of milk pst workout, or have a tuna sandwhich.
  • Amy_B
    Options

If I can't pronounce it, it don't go into my body. I'd be worried though about fructose being so high up on that list....why not just drink a glass of milk pst workout, or have a tuna sandwhich.

Maybe just some chocolate milk? :wink:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Go out and buy yourself some Over The Moon chocolate milk. It's fat free, and high in protein :)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Maybe just some chocolate milk? :wink:

Don't diss the chocolate milk :laugh: it's my personal post workout drink of choice! Love it. :tongue:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I love it too! It sure as heck is cheaper than protein powder also. Maybe that'll be my go-to. Of course, I'm not sure I can quit having coffee altogether.
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options

Fructose is sugar that naturally occurs in fruits and some vegetables. Not to be confused with glucose of high fructose corn syrup, it is very low on the GI index and is sent to the liver for absorption without messing with your insulin levels.
    I have found that most protein powders do contain it in varying levels.

As for quitting coffee, try mixing decaf and regular together. You won't notice the difference after a little while. Just keep adding more decaf as you go along and soon you will be caffeine free. Then coffee is much easier to quit. It can be a special treat instead of a morning necessity.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pro-Complex protein powder is the best without a doubt. I have been drinking it for seven years now - they flavor is good, sugars low, etc. - all the good stuff. Started drinking it because it was the one my bariatric surgeon recommended it. The vanilla with 1/2 a banana, a few strawberries, cup of fat free milk is my favorite!