Body Image and Proportions

Options
Hi everyone! I joined this forum a month and a half ago (I think) and I've been losing inches/pounds or both since I started (it really keeps me accountable). But I've realized one thing- All my life I've had long, leaner legs and I don't think the tops of my thighs ever touched (but after I had a growth spurt and after this weight gain after college started), I noticed them touching and I felt really bad about it. I've lost some weight now, and it's less noticeable, but I'm wondering 1) Is this normal for certain body types, and if so, which ones? 2) If I CAN get rid of them and get the long, lean physique I'm trying to attain, will squats and lunges with weights help me tone my thighs (near the top and knee areas)?

Thank you so much everyone, and I realize that the thigh touching is a common thing online (tumblr, etc), but I just want to be happy with the way I look, and be healthy. I'm not going to be miserable if they do touch, but if there's something extra (in terms of exercise) I can do, to make them not be that way, then I'd love it. :)

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Walking has done amazing things for my legs! I'm now up to 10 miles of brisk (15 minute mile) walking a week and slowly adding more.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks so much! So you think if I regularly walk on the treadmill/elliptical at least twice a week, I'd keep my legs toned and in good shape (not touching :tongue: ) ? :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's normal for many people to have thighs that touch. Whether they do or not depends on how wide your hips are. Wide hips = your thighs won't touch unless you're very obese, narrow hips = your thighs will still touch even at low body fat percentages, unless you starve yourself to the point you look like a skeleton. you can't change the width of your hips. Be a healthy body fat percentage and love your strong healthy legs for being strong and healthy. Strong and healthy looks great on ALL body types.

Don't obsess over ridiculous things like whether or not your thighs touch, because honestly no-one outside of silly tumbler "thinspiration" pages even cares. In fact it's kind of rude to stare at a stranger's thighs long enough to work out whether their thighs touch or not when they stand with their legs together. And if someone judges you according to whether or not your thighs touch, that would make them so unbelievably shallow that if you turn the magnifying glass on them rather than on yourself, you'll see you won't want to give that kind of person the time of day.

learn to love yourself for who you are, and eat healthy and exercise, and look after your body. Don't try to force it into a shape it's not meant to be, and love it for the shape that it is when you're fit, strong and healthy.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words. You're absolutely right; I shouldn't force unnatural things upon my body and just try to maintain a long, lean look, instead of nitpicking at each and every facet of my physical self. I'm just going to try to keep them toned. I really appreciate it. :heart:
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Never have I heard a guy say "wow, her thighs don't touch- that's hot!" I use to have that, but looking back I looked awful! What my brain remembers is not the same as the pictures! I am not saying that is the case for you, but sometimes our new bodies are a lot better or equally hot, just different. Just keep an open mind.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You are 18. "All your life" you've been a child. The proportions you had as a child have little bearing on the proportions you'll have as an adult.

MOST women's thighs touch at a healthy weight and body fat percentage. It's just where a lot of women store their fat. It's "healthy" and natural for women to have that fat. We can't get as low as men and be healthy.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Thank you. I will stay positive :)
  • lizcr13
    lizcr13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel! It really hit me when I went on vacation and wore shorts for the first time since last summer. I gained weight over the winter, and even though I never really thought about my thigh gap, I noticed once I lost it. I'm the same age (and on tumblr too much) so I understand the whole "need for thigh gap" trend. I think it has to do with body shape as well as where you gain weight. I gain weight around my hips and upper thighs, but even just starting to burn a little extra fat and getting more muscle has reduced it a bit. I think it's not the actual gap people notice or care about, just having toned legs looks good whether they touch or not.
    It's really dang hard, but i'm just trying to accept that my body will look better once it's in better shape, even if somethings wont change. I think body size and body image go hand in hand, if one isn't healthy the other one won't be. Good luck with everything and squats and lunges are definitely your friends!:)
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    Leg lifts and leg v's have done wonders for my thighs. Along with my stationary bike. But I think the leg v's are the biggest help.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    My thighs have always touched except for 1 very brief time in my life. That was when I had been training for a bodybuilding competition and had dieted down to less than 10% body fat. My periods stopped and everything. As soon as I put on a healthy amount of body fat, my thighs were back to touching.

So short answer, Yes, I think it has a lot to do with body type and genetically where you are predisposed to carry fat.

Touching at the top is normal, it's when they're still touching down to your knees almost that you need to worry about it.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    You are 18. "All your life" you've been a child. The proportions you had as a child have little bearing on the proportions you'll have as an adult.

MOST women's thighs touch at a healthy weight and body fat percentage. It's just where a lot of women store their fat. It's "healthy" and natural for women to have that fat. We can't get as low as men and be healthy.

EXACTLY! You've been comparing yourself to a pubescent you... you weren't fully grown yet. You're just now approaching maturity, your body shape and proportions will continue to change as you mature for the rest of your life. You are a human, not a mannequin.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Took the words out of my mouth. Or off my fingers.

I think my thighs have touched from the second I hit puberty. Didn't matter if I was a healthy weight, overweight or very underweight. It's just the way my body is built. I can't change that any more than I can change the size of my shoes.
  • JulianneHemphill
    JulianneHemphill Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pilates? It's really great for getting the long lean look.
  • onedayatatime12
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive, encouraging responses. I've realized that this is my pubescent body type and I have to learn to love it and accept it. I will try and tone as much as I can, to make them more shapely, but even if they do touch, I could care less-because I know I'm healthy. And no I have not tried pilates, but I'd definitely look into attending the classes at my local gym. Once again, thank you everyone- it means more to me than you know! :heart: