What do you eat before you work out?

Options
Loves418
Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
Actually this is my problem:
I am up at 545am with my son get him to school and back home. I eat breakfast about 7:30am. I work from 9am-12pm then I have a break where I want to hit the gym at about 12:30. Problem is I am hungry at that point. What can I eat before I workout that won't sit in my stomach and make want to puke while working out yet satisfy me? This week I ignored the hunger and got stomach cramps while jogging on the treadmill. :frown:
So if you eat before you work out what do you have. I was looking for something at around 11:30ish. Thoughts..

Replies

• kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi there,
    I know cliff bars work well if I eat them about a 1/2 to an 1 before a workout. I don't eat them often but it's a quick thing. Do you have a fridge at work or microwave? You could try having a banana with 1tbsp of peanut butter or a pb&j sandwhich. I would suggest just trying different things to see what sits well with your stomach. I work out in the mornings and sometimes will only have a piece of toast which works for me. If I have more time and don't work out first thing I always eat oatmeal. That fills me up and gives me energy.
    When do you normally eat lunch? Before or after the workout?
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Bananas and cliff bars are both great choices! Bananas are great because they don't make you cramp up :smile:
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a cross country runner, and being so, I need fuel before running that won't make me want to barf during a race. Some good ideas I've had are:

Apples ( without the skin )
    Bananas with just a LITTLE melted peanut butter drizzled on top for protein
    Raisins
    Applesauce

Any kind of white carbohydrate (bread, crackers, rice ) is a good choice because it isn't too heavy and burns up fairly quickly, giving you energy very soon after consumption without making you feel sick.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned I work from home..sorry..I eat at 2:00 then start work again at 3.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    10 grams of BCAA's and then fasted heavy weightlifting Mon/Wed/Fri Leangains style
  • alejandralozano89
    Options
    of course you're hungry! in order to accelerate your metabolism you should not let more than 4 hours pass by without a snack or a meal.
    so, if you have breakfast at 7:30, you should have a snack at around 11. a snack bar, fruit, trail mix or something. then you should be ok to have your lunch at around 2.
    :)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I either have a slice of whole wheat toast with almond butter (1/3 tbsp) or a whole small apple with 1/3 tbsp almond butter or a banana! :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    something fairly light like citrus, nuts, cheese, or carrots and pb.
    If i'm really hungry, i'll have part of a turkey burger or a combo of the above foods.

i shouldn't have said 'light' more like, compact. doesn't take up much space, but I get a little
    energy from it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    of course you're hungry! in order to accelerate your metabolism you should not let more than 4 hours pass by without a snack or a meal.
    so, if you have breakfast at 7:30, you should have a snack at around 11. a snack bar, fruit, trail mix or something. then you should be ok to have your lunch at around 2.
    :)

this is bro science. don't listen to them. just eat when you're hungry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    A slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and a small handful of almonds