Buying a FitBit-best one to purchase? Your results?!

Options
I think that I really want to splurge on a fitbit...I've been having trouble figuring out how many calories to eat, keep fluctuating on weight, and really just want to make this summer worthwhile!

I saw someone on Craigslist selling a new fitbit in my area for $50...others on ebay are for more. Any recommendations on which one to purchase? I'm a college student on a seriously limited budget but want to make an investment in my health, I think :)

For those who have them, do you definitely recommend one? Have you seen it improve your weight loss goal drastically?

Thanks!!

Replies

• rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and it is so amazing! I think it's like $60 on amazon. I really recommend it!!!! It keeps you moving and really gives you insight into your activity level. Plus the fitbit apps sync with MFP pretty seamlessly.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I bought the FitBit One last week. (TBH it was an impulse buy.....I was at Best Buy buying 3 new kitchen appliances and after spending $1500, I thought what's another $100. LOL.)

I chose the One over the Zip primarily because it tracks floors climbed (but admittedly I work in a 1-story building) and it tracked sleep (and I'm a great sleeper....get 8 hours a night and rarely have insomnia).

But I'm a real technology geek and I love data. The primary reason I decided to get one is that I had worked out my TDEE a few weeks ago. I used several calculators and I suspected they were all too high of estimates. I was right. After using my One for a little over a week, I'm far more sedentary than I though I was, even working out 4-5 times a week for 60 minutes or more. And even though it is still an estimate, I feel the One is giving me a more accurate estimate of my real TDEE than the calculators.

The other thing I like (so far) is that it's a daily TDEE, not just an average. Yesterday I burned 2290 calories (it was a gym day). Today I've only burned 1812 (non-gym day). Yesterday, I was able to eat 1888 calories. Today only 1474. So I know I'm always eating at a deficit and really never eating more than I'm burning.

BTW, if you own an iPhone or a few select Androids (Samsung Galaxy III or IV or the Note), you can sync either the One or the Zip via Bluetooth so you always have realtime stats.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I forgot about the Flex. Pretty sure it syncs via BT to the above phones as well.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so whilst I have a fitbit....because of my metabolic issues it didnt help me at all. Just thought I would mention it as a FYI.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I found it completely worth it ... this recent comparative review of the One and the Flex is a good read to help you work out what you want.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/05/fitbit-flex-review-peer-pressure-sucks/

Remember it is a pedometer and so it does have its limitations in terms of recording some forms of exercise - I recently added an HRM to my toolkit to measure a wider variety of my cardio workouts (since I do a lot of variety - dancing, rowing, cycling as well as classes) and they work so well together.

Go ahead! SPOIL YOURSELF!! :)
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just got the Flex, love it.
  • smltwngrl
    smltwngrl Posts: 18
    Options
    I bought my fitbit one in march.. and I LOVE it! It seriously gets me moving so much more! I am of the competitive nature, and I hate seeing certain people above me on my friends list. I love all the graphs and calculations that the fitbit does for you. It's a great little device. I had wanted one for probably about a year when I got it, but thought that I could hold out. In hindsight, I should have gotten it sooner. Rather than sitting on the couch when I need a study break, I will go walk around the block. It is a great motivator and definitely worth the money. It gives you a great target for each individual day as to how much you should be eating.

Sorry for the rambling. I LOVE it!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit One a couple of weeks ago; it keeps me accountable (and is a lot cheaper than a personal trainer), it integrates with MyFitnessPal, and I like the sleep monitoring feature. As others have said, it's a real eye-opener to see how much (or little exercise) you get. I log food in MyFitnessPal, and all activity in Fitbit.

Only downside is the size; I keep a close eye on mine because I'm afraid I'll lose it. Even smaller are the wireless dongles; I thought I lost mine, ordered a couple replacements from Fitbit (which arrived in a couple of days), then found the original one when it dropped out of a sock when I was doing my laundry.

Totally worth the investment to me.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit one about a week ago. I like it though it has it's issues. It sometimes counts steps and stairs while I drive around. It doesn't always count the stairs I do correctly. Yesterday I went up my 6 flights of stairs to my apartment and it only recognized 4 of them. It also doesn't take into consideration when you're standing as apposed to sitting, and since I work a standing job that includes some walking, I have to manually log my standing and I have no idea what to truly add it as. I use it more right now, to help motivate me to move a bit more, once I have it for longer and can see how my cal intake/ what it (fit bit) says for my TDEE and how that matches up with my weight loss I may be better able to work out what's the correct calorie count for my work stuff.
    I have to take it off to ride my horse (which I do 5-6 days a week) or the steps and stairs go crazy.
  • etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I cannot rave enough about the fitbit one - I absolutely adore mine & most of the weight I've lost so far in my ticker has been lost since I got mine & started to move more & follow it's calorie goals.

I hate when I have to take it off to charge it, apart from then, and when I'm in the shower, I wear it all the time.
  • vingogly
    Options
    Regarding accuracy ... I've found you can log activities like driving in your car on the Fitbit site, and it will adjust your numbers accordingly. I log my morning and afternoon commutes as "riding on a bus". Any device like this isn't intended to be a scientific instruments, and its measurements won't be precise (for that matter, the scales you buy for your bathroom aren't going to give you exact measurements, either).
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    fitbit one has the most information in the device, also is properly lit so you can read it in the dark and the sleep tracking is great. in short its really awesome.

my mom bought the fitbit zip and regrets it cause you cant charge it, it has to have it bettery replaced and its not back lit so you cant see it at night

the new minimalist one is good if you want it to look like a fashion accessory, but obviously its not going to tell you much other than how much activity you have done.

if you are running, get the one, its got distance, activity level, cals burned, timer, everything you need.

the one is the one. haha.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Regarding accuracy ... I've found you can log activities like driving in your car on the Fitbit site, and it will adjust your numbers accordingly. I log my morning and afternoon commutes as "riding on a bus". Any device like this isn't intended to be a scientific instruments, and its measurements won't be precise (for that matter, the scales you buy for your bathroom aren't going to give you exact measurements, either).
    BTW, there is a cell phone app called DriveBit that could help with this. You tap start when you begin driving and stop when you arrive, and it automatically updates your FitBit with your drive time so it won't record errant steps.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit one since December 11th and I love it. It gamifies movement for me--I like the corny badges and competing with myself. It made me realize how sedentary I am and I went from an average of about three thousand steps a day to about 6500. Its altimeter doesn't always measure stairs correctly--but I crouch at the bottom and do a little jump at the top now and that usually does the trick. My husband got the zip which doesn't count stairs, and in the two weeks since he's got it, I am now averaging over 8000 steps a day because he's really fun to compete with. We are considering getting them for our teenage daughters too. Most of my weight loss has been because of dietary changes, and it's really tapered off in the past month, but now I'm running up stairs without getting breathless and all my t-shirts are longer because my belly is 5 3/4 inches smaller than it was 29 pounds ago. I feel good and that's my goal: health :)
  • kazlee66
    kazlee66 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a fitbit One and I love it! I wear it 24/7. it tracks my steps, calories, floors, distance and sleep. I only take off when having a shower. it's great. So worth the money.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    BTW, there is a cell phone app called DriveBit that could help with this. You tap start when you begin driving and stop when you arrive, and it automatically updates your FitBit with your drive time so it won't record errant steps.

ill so have to do that.
  • vingogly
    Options

Will be downloading DriveBit on my iPhone in the next few minutes. Thanks for the tip!
  • vingogly
    Options
    Unfortunately, DriveBit is Android only so those of us running iOS are out of luck.
  • torymichaels
    Options
    I've had my One for almost a month now and I have absolutely no regrets about buying it. I was stunned to discover I was more active than I thought (without putting much effort in above and beyond my daily routine), I was coming close to 8k steps a day (the default goal is 10k), and considering I have an office job, clearly I don't just sit on my duff. Heh.

It gave me a much better idea what sort of calories I burned (estimate-wise, I mean), and i always feel the challenge to get and go well above the 10k goal. For the month of May, i've been averaging about 11.3k steps a day. I've recently started walking for exercise (rather than just my daily routine activities adding steps) and now with the 3+ miles I want to walk most days of the week, I land somewhere between 15 & 17k/day.

The stair feature is awesome, though as others have said, it's not always accurate. But having that line on my dashboard just pushes me to hit goal. I don't like uncrossed "t" and "i"s, so to speak. Hehe.