Dr. has me on high protien diet.

Options
He wants me to take in at least 90 grams a day.Meat is so expensive and so are the drinks. I love eggs but I can't eat them every meal. Any suggestiopns?

Replies

• hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Bag of frozen tyson chicken? Usually reasonable price
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some other low cost protein sources you might add are beans, tofu, dairy products (including yogurt and kefir), and whey protein. You can make your own shakes and smoothies with the whey protein.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Some other low cost protein sources you might add are beans, tofu, dairy products (including yogurt and kefir), and whey protein. You can make your own shakes and smoothies with the whey protein.

Good advice! I eat a lot of lentils. The protein in one cup of lentils = the protein in 3 eggs (18 lentils for one cup versus 6 for one egg).

I am a lazy cook and like lentils because I don't have to soak them and they cook in 30 minutes. Lentils and other dried beans are very inexpensive. You can buy a bag for about $1.50 in the bean and rice area of the grocery store, or pay a little more and buy organic lentils in your grocery/healthfood store. I eat them with a little brown rice and a variety of vegetables and use toasted sesame seeds (just toast in a fry pan) or tamari to season. You can also cook some for several days in a row. Almost no fat and zero cholesterol.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is cheap and high in protein.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    The drinks are NOT expensive --- buy yourself a 2lb jug of whey protein, mix it with some almond milk or milk and some water or coffee.... voila. This is extremely cheap and easy to make.

You can buy protein even at walmart....

I am a coffee/chocolate fanatic -- and a protein snob, so I tend to spend a little more and order on amazon.com
    My favorites are "about time chocolate" and "click espresso protein"
  • katietigar
    katietigar Posts: 9
    Options
    I like the Premier Protein drinks because at Costco they are less than $1.40 each with 30 grams of protein and only a few carbs. At first I thought $1.40 was still an indulgence but it is a lot cheaper than eating out or buying already prepared food at the market.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The drinks are NOT expensive --- buy yourself a 2lb jug of whey protein, mix it with some almond milk or milk and some water or coffee.... voila. This is extremely cheap and easy to make.

I think the original reference was to the prepared, flavored protein drinks some of which they sell for $5 at my health club's snack bar. Most things will be cheaper if you make them yourself.