what to set protein/carb/fat at

Options
Hi,

So I'm trying to drop 10 lbs and want to put on some lean muscle. I think I have a good grip on what my calories will be - somewhere around 1600.

Was just wondering if I should adjust my macros to something different than what they are - eat more protein? and what percentage?

Also, do I need to change sugars or any of the other numbers if I'm hoping to lose the 10lbs but gain some lean muscle?

Replies

• YiotaBro
    YiotaBro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 50 grams of fat and 113 grams of protein which is 25% fat and 25% protein on a 1800 calorie day.
    50x9= 450; 113x4= 453
    25% fat because I eat nuts and peanut butter every day .
    25% protein because I probably have something close to 113 pounds lean body mass

I am 5'7" TDEE is about 1850
    I eat 1800 to 1900 calories a day but it is set right now at 1800.

Hope this helps?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut fat AND put on lean muscle, you will need to eat at or near your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which is going to be more than 1600 if you're lifting weights enough to actually put on lean muscle.

So go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Put in all your information. Select "Lose Fat 5% calorie reduction" in Step 6..

Now, if you know your Body Fat %, put that in Step 8a and then change Step 8 to "Catch McArdle".

Look at the numbers at the bottom... You should be getting roughly 1g protein for each lb of lean body mass. Fat should land somewhere between 20 and 30%; carbs should make up the rest.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You may need to experiment a bit. I find that higher protein just makes me feel fuller but sometimes it's hard to get it in. My goals are 30% protein, 25% fat & 45% carbs. As long as I get 25% of protein, and not more than 30% fat, I'm happy. You determine how much protein you want in grams, and then figure out what your percentage in. Do a search--lots of info on this in existing threads.

You can pretty much find the answer to any question by searching.

Added to say my numbers are almost exactly the same as mandywe. Make sure you are eating enough.
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump