Duh question of the night

Options
So here is my duh question of the night. I know this has been asked a million times but honestly, I am too lazy to look through these post to find the answer.

I have eaten my calorie goal for the day of 1620. However, I still have about 1,000 calories that I gained from exercise. Am I really supposed to eat most of those calories back? I have absolutely no desire to even contemplate what in the fric-frac I could possibly consume at this hour besides copious amounts of alcohol but (1) I don't have any and (2) major hangover the next day and ain't nobody got time for that.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes. And if it were me, I'd have a peanut butter and banana bagel with a side of chicken. :laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    That is a crazy amount of cardio.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I would spread at least 500 of those calories over the next couple of days. And boost your intake on other days you exercise a lot. Lowfat chocolate milk is an awesome recovery drink. Just sayin'.

MFP isn't about trying to eat the fewest possible number of calories. It's about learning to eat at a healthy level for your body - not too much and not too little.

So you do need to eat all of your base calories and at least half of your exercise calories. Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the cardio.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I average 600-1000 calories of exercise a day....if i'm hungry I'll eat some back focusing on protein and complex carbs if I'm not hungry I don't worry with it. Listen to your body!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Huh?? Um no. Workout hard. And re-fuel what your body needs. That list the other post-er prepared was something I'd recommend. Increase your activity if anything, but WORKOUT HARD. :) Keep it up
    Cut back on the cardio.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    if u are hungry eat if not dont
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well Damn!! This is good information (or confirmation of what I already knew). I will definitely have to re-think my heavy cardio days and try to spread more throughout the day so I am not at such a large deficit late at night.

And thank you for the quick responses!!!
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options

About half of that is from zumba. The rest is just from running around work all day (fitbit). Today was a very high activity day for sure.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That list the other post-er prepared was something I'd recommend.

Aww. Thanks! This is such a common challenge that I did a blog post from all the responses that I've seen so I can cut and paste it as needed :happy:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A slice and 1/2 of pizza-they'll bring the food to your house.
    Peanut butter and anything. Forget the sammich,. just scoop it out of the jarLOLOL!
    Chicken and mayonnaise on bread. Add some avocado. A side of a banana-or two.
    Walnuts and craisins.

All sorts of things can up the calories.

Ice cream. Topped with fruit and fudge sauce.