cutting out 500 calories- question

Options
Is that true? To lose 1lbs a week you could cut out 500 cals from you diet?I can do that. If that's what it takes. My fitnesspal app says I need 18700cals so if I cut back 500, does that mean I actually need 1370 cals?

I would try that, but I've heard so many stories that once you start eating "normally" again (more cals than the 1370 you"ve been taking in) you'd gain all the weight back, even more:(

And that's what keeps me unmotivated. I'm to paranoid.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You cut 500 from your TDEE
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    MFP can help you figure this out. Just choose a one pound a week loss in the settings when you do your goals. One pound of fat is 3500 calories, so you would need to eat 500 less than your maintenance calories a day or 1370, if your MAINTENANCE number is 1870.

Once you lose the weight you need to and start eating at the maintenance calories for your goal weight, you should see your weight loss stop, but you shouldn't gain anything. Especially since you lost at a moderate pace and hopefully worked out to keep your lean mass (muscles) up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    how many pounds total do you want to lose? it makes a difference in the equation.
  • AngelBaby7041
    Options
    how many pounds total do you want to lose? it makes a difference in the equation.

Well total I want to lose 190
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Then 500 below will work, but if you've got almost 200 pounds to lose, it's highly likely that your tdee is higher than 1800.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Then 500 below will work, but if you've got almost 200 pounds to lose, it's highly likely that your tdee is higher than 1800.

^^^ this. Unless you're really short, it's possible that your 1870 reflects the 500 calorie cut.
  • AngelBaby7041
    Options

^^^ this. Unless you're really short, it's possible that your 1870 reflects the 500 calorie cut.

I'm about 5'8, and I looked it up it said my TDEE is 2933, cut 500 and its 2433.
    Its what I'm suppose to do with that 2433, is what I don't understand. Does that mean I need 2433 calories?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you want to use MFP how it is configured. Set your weight loss goal for between 1 and 2 lbs, and the amount you need to eat will be calculated for you (with the amount you have to lose, 2lb will be fine at first).. Set the activity level at lightly active unless you are virtually housebound. When you get nearer to goal, start decreasing your weight loss goal to 1 1/2 lb a week and then 1lb and when you only have a little to go, decrease it to 1/2lb. If you exercise, log that exercise and eat about 50 - 75% of the calories burned for that exercise back.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Do whatever Sara tells you to do.
  • abadmum
    abadmum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would try that, but I've heard so many stories that once you start eating "normally" again (more cals than the 1370 you"ve been taking in) you'd gain all the weight back, even more:(And that's what keeps me unmotivated. I'm to paranoid.

I'm no expert, but isn't eating 'normally' the reason you put that weight on originally? My aim is at the end to have trained my brain and body that my 'normal' eating is the new lower maintenance calories,  healthier eating,  portion control and exercise.. perhaps that's what you need to do too.. otherwise you will just yoyo diet.. 
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would try that, but I've heard so many stories that once you start eating "normally" again (more cals than the 1370 you"ve been taking in) you'd gain all the weight back, even more:(And that's what keeps me unmotivated. I'm to paranoid.

I'm no expert, but isn't eating 'normally' the reason you put that weight on originally? My aim is at the end to have trained my brain and body that my 'normal' eating is the new lower maintenance calories,  healthier eating,  portion control and exercise.. perhaps that's what you need to do too.. otherwise you will just yoyo diet.. 

i disagree. to have put on weight you werent eating at maintenance, you were eating with a surplus.

yes you will probably have healthier eating habits when you have finished losing weight, but at the end of the day, whether its eating chocolate and cheese or salad and protein shakes you're eating, if you have a decifit you will lose weight, if you are eating your TDEE you will maintain weight an dif you are eating more calories than you burn off, you will gain weight.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Do whatever Sara tells you to do.

QFT