Maintenance is scary

Options
Quick facts - I have lost 38 pounds since last July by counting calories and a combination of cardio and strength training. At this point I try to do cardio 4-5 days a week and strength 3-4. I met my original goal and kept going....from a size 10-12 to a (gulp) size 2-4. I have never been this thin (close but not quite) or this toned (I can see muscles!). So now I need to switch to maintenance, and it's much harder than i imagined. I now have a goal range of 4 pounds, but I'm closer to the bottom than the top. Because my weight has yo-yoed from the time I hit adolescence (diet - lose - gain - diet - lose - gain...), I am really afraid of gaining back weight. However, I don't want to be obsessed with eating all the time. I do plan to stay on MFP for a long time (years) and log what I eat and what I burn because it works, and I feel so healthy. Right now I'm trying to creep up my calories. I had been averaging around 1350-1400; this week I'm switching to 1500 and trying to really hit that. All the online calculators say that I should be around 1700, but I don't think I'm ready for that. Also, I have NEVER eaten back my exercise calories.

So, I'm looking for advice from people who have maintained but who may understand the yo-yo fear. Also, I weigh myself once a week only, but I have several chronically thin/healthy friends who weigh every day. I don't think this is a good answer for me, but do most people weigh every day to maintain their weight?

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Wow, I could have almost written your post, although I was never overweight in my life until after I had my son and this is the also the first time I've lost weight. Maintenance scares the crap out of me - I think that's part of the reason why I keep reducing my goal weight. (I'm only 1 lb. away from my UGW). I went from a size 18 down to a 3/4. I was also eating around 1350 calories and I've recently upped it to 1500 and don't eat back my exercise calories either. I have no advice, but can commiserate. :drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar spot. I'm not quite in maintenance yet, but I've been up and down a few times. I don't want to go up in fat again. I am still trying to get down in BF%, but I'm increasing my calories to help support muscle gain or at least not lose the muscle I have while I increase the intensity of my work outs. I've gone from eating 1500-1600 up to 1800-1900 depending on activity. I just started the increase so I will see how things are going in a few weeks and if I need to drop the calories again I will. I've gone from a 12 to a 4, but will probably end up in a 2 before too long. Since I am close, 5 lbs away, from my goal I figured I would try out higher calories as a good test to see what maintenance calories will be. It isn't easy. That is probably why people lose, gain, lose, gain all the time.

As for the weighing in every day, if you don't do it now, no need to start. The body will fluctuate during maintenance as it does during loss so I don't think it would help any.

I don't plan on stoping the tracking of intake for a while either. I also have fitness related goals so I still have something to go for. All the other times I got to my goal weight and went right back to my old habits. The changes I made this time are not just for weight loss, but for my overall well being. That way I don't just stop after the scale says what I want to see.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I agree - I think it's a little tough to transition to maintenance. It's almost like I can't believe I'm actually done with the weight loss, and I feel like I still have to be super careful. It's starting to sink in though, and I think I'm stabilizing. I've always weighed myself once a week and will continue that. I think there's too much variation day to day, and I also just don't want to focus on the scale on a daily basis. I'm continuing to track as well, as I'm focusing on nutrition and fitness. You're welcome to add me.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    1400 seems pretty low for someone doing 4-5 cardio workouts and 3-4 strength training workouts a week. How tall are you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can almost bet your true maintenance is well over 2000 calories if you train that much. I can also say there is a god chance you have been yo yo dieting because you cut calories significantly, which leads to muscle loss from under fueling your body. Its ok though because you recognize you need a slow transition to maintenance. I would recommend though dropping some of the cardio. Cardio burns a bunch of calories so you will be requires to eat more of you sustain that amount too. Ideally 1-2 days is all you need. Weight training is where you can gain the greatest benefit as you can still do body recomposition at maintenance.

But what are your next goals? Fitness, strength, lower body fat, 5k, etc.
  • cbediria
    cbediria Posts: 29
    Options
    I am TERRIFIED of starting my maintenance this time around. I've lost and gained the same last few pounds like 14 times, because as soon as I start maintaining, I lose control of my appetite and eat like a crazy person. When I'm in weight loss mode, everything makes sense, I know what I need to do, I know how much I need to workout, it's all good. So...I suppose I'm right where you are. I think what I'm going to do is increase very slowly while continuing to workout. I think keeping the routine of tracking your food diary is a good way to transition, and really focusing on healthy foods.

Good luck to you!! I, also, will appreciate any good vibes ya'll can send my way :D
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    you're not going to gain 20 pounds over night, so just watch what effect the calorie increase has and adjust accordingly.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have the exact same problem.
    I just want one day to be 'eat a damn pizza day' and I keep on telling myself that I'll do it next week because I'm scared to order one. I should also up my cals to 1700, but still sitting scared at 1400.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    add 50 calories to your daily total every week.... just keep at it until you gain weight and stay there for a while then continue upward... keep at it until you get as high as you can while maintaining weight... dont do something stupid like doing additional exercise to counterbalance the additional calories