ideal weight?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I have estimated my ideal weight by doing a hydrostatic body composition test. I'm aiming for 23 - 25% body fat. I'm 5'9" and my 25% body fat goal weight was 172 but, since I gained 2 pounds of muscle, it's now 174. I'm no "body builder" though I do lift weights a couple days a week.

If you want to use a system like the one you mention to give yourself a general target and then go by how you look and how much energy you have, that is fine, but remember that "weight" consists of many, many things including fat, muscle, bone, clothing, hair, makeup, pocket change, etc.

Losing weight by losing fat or losing the same amount weight by losing fat, muscle and bone density will give you two completely different results. My suggestion would be to find a body fat assessment that is accessible for you and figure out your target goal based on that.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    im 5'1 i weigh 103, it says im supposed to weigh 94.5 with my biggest being 102.5 and my lowest being 86.5 not sure if that sounds right, but i can fit my fingers around my wrist so it says i would subtract 10% from 105
  • mallowslow
    mallowslow Posts: 2
    I'm 5'7 and weighing 70 kgs and I want to reach the 80-85 weigh.
  • Peanutbutterx
    94.5 is really skinny
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    94.5 is rediculous. Ignore completely.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I think that site gives weights that are a bit low. If I went to down to what they say is "normal" I'd be too thin. Perhaps that's just my body shape/size...everyone is different....but I wouldn't try to go that low.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I use that as a general guide, but instead of frame size, also look at muscle mass, you should be that + 10% if you have average frame, but carry a decent amount of muscle.
  • mine says between 116-132, which is where I am (131.8) and still not happy. Aiming for 120-125, so I guessed correctly the first time without that thing. You just need to go by how you feel too.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    94.5 is really skinny

Us short folk have it rough. I'm 5'2 and the low end for my healthy weight is 102 and the high end being about 130.
  • Peanutbutterx
    i dont have a lot of muscle im pretty small i dont really work out. my wrists are tiny this is the first ive heard of this frame size thingi always just went by bmi before
  • Peanutbutterx
    yes we do! us shorties have like a different standard for everything makes it more confusing
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    It says I should be anywhere betweeen 125 and 138 being 5'9". I have been 125, it wasn't pretty!!! I will stick with my goal of 140.
  • Peanutbutterx
    thanks guys : )
  • Peanutbutterx
    yeah i know what you mean.. i dont want to be too big but i dont want to be too skinny either just want a normal inbetween but its so confusing how much muscle you have what your frame is blahh plus im short and dont have any muscle so that doesnt make it any easier to figure out.. im 103 now and my boyfriend says i need to gain weight but every calculator ive seen says i should loose weight
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    At 5'10" its saying i should weight between 142 and 158, but at 160 i look like a crackhead. Not accurate.
  • Peanutbutterx
    hahah!! yeah i feel like i would look like a crackhead too at 94 pounds.. it says that should be my "ideal weight" i would have to eat like lettuce leaves every day to weigh that little...
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Mine came out to 135....Way to skinny for my body! Even at 156 I am told too skinny.

and

#5 Subtract eight pounds from your new number. Also add eight pounds to that number. This is a healthy weight range for your body <<<WHAT???

Ignore this idea!
  • Peanutbutterx
    yeah!! thats the part that got me too! i was like okayy i guess i could maybe get to 98... and then it says to subtract 8 from 94.5... i would be in my 80's... i weighed more than that when i was like 10..
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    It's just a number. Why worry about it? Focus more on body fat %, how you feel, how fit and strong you are, etc... We got too hung up on the numbers.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Not necessarily, depends on your frame, how muscular you are, etc. My mother, who is 5' 2", weighed 95/100 lbs the year she was married and looked great. We have plenty of pics. I assure you she didn't starve herself to get there, she was naturally slim and never concerned about her weight at all despite ice cream and potato chips for dinner every Sunday night. ( Gotta love my grandparents ;P )

Now, the week she got married she got terribly sick - an intestinal bug or food poisoning - and dropped to 85 lbs. Not good. That was too thin.

The site gave me what I consider a reasonable number. I'm a little shy of 5' 3" and have a large frame (thank you, paternal family). It suggests a weight of 125 lbs, a little higher than my current goal. I just dropped into what it considers a healthy range for me and I agree.
  • Peanutbutterx
    lol stealth. thats true, iw eighed 98 before an i thought i looked good but i got down to 87 at one point from not eating because of stress and looked like i was dying and had to gain weight immediately..
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've seen that formula before but I don't really agree with it. I'm 5'7" and have a small bone structure ... so I should only weigh 121.5 lbs?? I'm about 136 right now which is apparently what I should be if I had a medium bone structure and I'd say this is a pretty good weight for me. 121.5 lbs at 5'7" is VERY thin (close to "underweight" on the BMI charts). Also, I have tiny wrists but wide hips and rib cage so I don't know that going by wrists alone is the best way to determine bone structure. I guess that formula rubs me the wrong way b/c it just seems unrealistically thin to me.
  • Peanutbutterx
    i have a friend thats 5'7 and she looked SO SKINNY at 140 so yeah 121 would be insane looking
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    I think frame size measurements are hard to do accurately. I have very skinny wrists and can easily wrap my fingers around my wrist. However, I have wide hips and a big rib cage so certainly wouldn't say I have a small frame - definitely meant to be curvy! The ideal weight it gave me seemed pretty realistic though - a few pounds lighter than I am now.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    im 5'1 i weigh 103, it says im supposed to weigh 94.5 with my biggest being 102.5 and my lowest being 86.5 not sure if that sounds right, but i can fit my fingers around my wrist so it says i would subtract 10% from 105

I'm the same exact size. Well, a smidge under 5'1", but 103. I've never seen weight ranges that says 102.5 is the max weight for my height.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member

P,s, to the above...I'm the same height and weight as the OP. When I first started going through the divorce process 7 years ago...i was stressed and even with eating I lost a lot of weight...was down at 92lbs for about 18 months. I didn't look healthy.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    mine comes out at 122-138, which I think is about right, although 122 would be a tad too low
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    5'10 and supposedly should be 142-158.

I am about 138, and fairly low bodyfat. I have to struggle to get my pointing finger and thumb to touch around my wrist which is odd, as the trainers at my gym have told me I have a small build/am an ectomorph?

Either way, the most I have ever weighed is 150Ibs and that was when I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism, did not exercise, and ate a lot of rubbish.