Health scare motivates me to Healthy Living

Options
Hello

I have just reached my 59th birthday and a had a few health scares. Decided finally I must tackle my weight as it is certainly not helping my health. Have slipped lumbar disc and possibly now have hypertension. Both of these conditions will improve if I choose to help myself and lose weight. I do not wish to take medication if I can avoid it.To date have lost 10lbs using My Fitness as a guide. Want to lose at least 7 stones and I am sure I can do it. Logging on to this site and reading all of your blogs etc has been a huge help. So good luck to everyone and hope we can achieve the healthier lifestyles we need.

I live on the west coast of Scotland.

Any tips much appreciated.

Barbara

Replies

• katescountdown
    katescountdown Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Barb
    Well done on your great start!
    Feel free to add me as a friend I log every day and am very motivated!
    My diaries open to look at, Im also not exercising currently due to injury but wont let that stop me!
    Kate
  • Dekitara
    Dekitara Posts: 11
    Options
    The only tip I have is keep going :) Actually that's not strictly true....

Don't let one bad meal turn into a bad day, then turn into a bad week etc...I'm losing fat/gaining muscle after a massive rebound weight gain during my recovery from an ED. Because I'm still recovering, I get days where something will go wrong and I'll go to the kitchen and just eat everything I can reach. And as soon as I've stopped I get miserable and then have this feeling like 'Well, I've mucked it up now, may as well keep eating crap'. If you hear that voice ignore it. We all muck up occasionally, it's what you do after that counts. If I binge at lunchtime I'll eat the dinner I planned like normal, regardless of daily calories.

Planning! It might just be me, but I plan my day's meals (and snacks) at least the day before. That way I know exactly what I'll be able to eat the next day and so if I get the rumblies I don't have the urge to just grab a handful of biscuits.

Get through the awkward wibble stage. When losing weight our bodies do some strange things. Your weight loss goal is quite large and your body will be adjusting a lot as you lose. There will come a time when your skin will feel a little bit...wibbly. I'm there at the moment. It feels like everything up to this point was a waste because in my head I look worse than before. But no. A few weeks and some Vitamin E cream and the wibble will go. Hopefully you can avoid it, but if it happens, don't panic. Push through.

Eat enough. Never get the urge to drop your calories lower than your BMR because you think it'll speed things up.

Don't cut out entire foods. As soon as you tell yourself you're not allowed something you will want it more than you ever have. Variety is the spice of life after all. And this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Cakes and cheeses and things still have a place in our lives, and having less of them less often makes them more enjoyable.

Taste things. This sounds like a strange one, but the biggest culprit I found in my weight gain was that when I eat, I eat like a hoover. As soon as I started eating McDonalds fries slowly enough that I could taste all the salt and weird slightly beefy potato mush I was so grossed out I can't touch them now. Likewise as soon as I started eating salad vegetables slower I stopped disliking so many of them. They taste so complex

Get enough protein and fat. Fats are so so so essential for life as our body can't make some of the Essential Fatty Acids we need for our nerves and cells to work properly. Fat in food and fat on us are very different things.

This is becoming an essay and there are people on here that give much better food advice, but these are all the tips that helped me, so I hope they help you. You're off to an amazing start :D
  • Casaorso
    Casaorso Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, much appreciated your advice!!