Overcoming Intimidation at the Gym...?

Options
Hi all

I've been a member of a gym for about 3 months now and I'm really enjoying it. I aim to exercise 3 times per week but at the minute I'm only doing cardio and would really like to start using some weights. The thing is...I'm very intimidated by entering THAT section of the gym. Mainly because that side of the room is full of men and I'm terrified of doing something wrong and having all the guys laugh at me. Stupid I know! But I figured I'm paying to use the gym so I may as well use it to it's full potential. Has anyone else ever felt afraid or intimidated? Would love to hear..

Replies

• GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would ask a personal trainer/gym instructor for some advice or even ask some of the guys there for advice. If you don't know what you are doing then you are just risking injury.

If you go in knowing exactly what you want to do and how to do it then you can just block out the world and lift.

Also with lifting, I would take a notepad to take notes of reps, lifts and weights so you can see your gains
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a personal trainer for a few sessions and let them know you want to start lifting, that way they can show you the ropes.

Do you have any friends who do a bit of lifting, you could go together to start with?

And in all honesty, you see so many of 'those' men who have terrible lifting form so try not to feel too intimidated.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I had the same fear as you do. A year ago I wanted to start lifting weights but there were only men in that section and I was out of shape as it was. So I didn't dare try. Months passed and I finally got the courage to ask my instructor for a routine. Felft very embarrased while lifting weights (Barbie weights and with horrible form).

The thing is; the guys turned out to be really nice about it and tried to genuinly help me improve my form or give advice. I felt a lot more comfortable and overcame the feeling of being intimidated. I even started crossfit a few weeks ago :wink:. Soemthing I would NEVER have dared last year.

I still suck, but I'm sucking less and it's loads of fun! The men really try to help and I'm getting a lot better. Hopefully in a year, someone will come and ask my advice :happy:. So just go and do it, overcome your fear! You're there for you anyway.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Everybody is scared of the freeweight section to start with but generally there is no need to be most guys will help you if you ask and personally speaking if I see a newbie lifting with poor form I will offer advice rather than laugh, if you are unsure of what to do get a trainer to give you an induction and write up a program for you
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear people touch on this issue because I'm (and I'm sure someone always is) going through that same thing. My pool is closing for the next 3 days and that is the only place I exercise (I know, I should explore more), but thought I'd venture into the gym, but I'm kinda nervous/intimidated about doing so. Enough to consider skipping a work out the next little while until the pool reopens.
  • prawnsmummy
    prawnsmummy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. No unfortunately I go to the gym by myself, even after trying to encourage some friends to join! I think I will take the majorities advice and book a session with a personal trainer. :-)
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Men have the same concerns y'know (so my friends tell me).

Depends on you as a person, but if there were a lot of regulars in that section, I bet they would make you feel very welcome if you said to one or some of them something like "hi, I'm new to this, I want to .... (insert reason) ... , I have no idea what I'm doing, where do you think I should start?

Consider that they are probably just as supportive of other people trying to achieve as the people on MFP.

Yeh, so there are always going to be some muscle heads, d*ck heads etc .. .but they are everywhere :-/
  • prawnsmummy
    prawnsmummy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, I have booked myself onto a 6 week empower programme with my gym :-) I get one meeting per week with a personal trainer. They'll weigh and measure me, give advice on nutrition and exercise etc. Will ignore all the intimidating muscly guys!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm doing cardio at the gym and weights at home for now, so I know what you mean. However, most likely they will help you instead of laugh at you if you're doing something wrong.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Going into the free weights section without an idea is probably very intimidating. I would advise going in with an exercise plan every workout even if its just written on a piece of paper. Also make use of the bodybuilding.com database to see how to perform the exercises correctly if you're unsure.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You're pretty attractive, I dunno why you're intimidated. People in my gym's free weights area are generally pretty nice and helpful. Talk to people who look like they have good form while they are between sets. Most will be more than happy to share some tips or stare at you doing a set of squats to give you some pointers. Granted, many of them will give you horrible advice, but, visual feedback can be helpful. Sometimes people get testy when I ask them how many sets they have left but to be honest they can go ____ themselves. Weightlifters are generally there the same days at the same times so if you develop a consistent schedule you'll always see the same people and become more comfortable around them. I'm sure you'll find some people willing to aid you on your form and what not (assuming u have some real lifters there). I see very few women lifting and if there was as many women as men it would be impossible to do anything at the pace I like. Maybe try and look at it differently. Don't feel out of place, feel empowered and courageous. After a few weeks it'll feel like its your domain and you'll wonder why you ever second guessed it.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I love the cardio section and but i just can't get over to the weights section as i feel intimidated. I know that they aren't looking at me etc or remotely interested in what i am doing, but feel very self conscious.
    Suppose once i get over that i will have no bother!
  • lornahurley
    lornahurley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, it's any help, I've been a gym member for over 10 yrs and never ventured to dark side, i've always stuck to doing weights in another part of the gym, trouble is there's no mirror there, so i can't see what i'm doing..So i knew this had to change when i wanted to start lifting much heavier weights.

I bit the bullet, you;ve just got to get on with it, take your notes, stand in background and see where you're going and what you need to use... Then i march right in there, plug in the ipod (to drown out all the grunting from the guys..!) and get on with it. I have to say, it gets easier every time.Some guys look a bit puzzled to see a girl in there, but mostly it's more in a total respect kind of way.

Like another poster said, if you go consistently, it's the same guys at the same times / days, they're all working to a schedule as well!

My next task if to take ownership of the squat rack, which is scheduled for next Weds, so bring it on..!