Zig Zag Diet or Calorie Shifting

Options
13»

Replies

• kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I ate unlimited negative calorie fruits and vegetables all day long and it kept me full!! Every time I started getting overly hungry, I would eat a couple oranges, or an apple, or some carrots or some other veggie and it would tame the need.

But...an orange has 75 cal, apple has 100, etc so you'd reach your 600 calorie mark pretty quickly! Just doesn't seem healthy to me.

check out negative calorie foods on google or yahoo, they are foods that you burn more calories digesting than are actually in the food to begin with.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    this months muscle and fitness has a 90 day challenge in it and part of it is calories shifting. it calls it differently, high, med and low calorie day, and suggests you do that for the entire 90 days. very interesting. of course for their body builders the numbers are extreme but the same principle can apply to lower calorie intack. they adjusted by approx 200-300 a day, then repeated the cycle. so far I am having excellent results with that. I know its all water weight loss, but back on track watching the scale drop so quickly is very enspiring.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Shred DVD...

I got it at HMV, but you can also order online from Chapters, Indigo, Amazon, etc...
    ENJOY!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times when I've hit a plateau and found that it works. I eat higher calories for a day or two and then go lower again. My trainer recommends a three day pattern: one higher and two lower calorie days.
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I created a spreadsheet which does this based on what my average calorie burn is suppose to be. It really works it out nicely for me. I can plan out what I am going to eat for every meal 3-4 days in advance. If ayone would like a copy just let me know. It is in Excel 2003 format.
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi there

I will take a copy please.

Mags
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I have!! ...and it absolutely does work! :happy:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    question on this topic then...I am supposed to eat 1800 calories a day. some days i get close, some days not so much.... it can vary by a few hundred from day to day just by food choices, meal chosen for dinner, etc.. so, would this work like a zig-zag by default without doing it intentially or do i need to go over that 1800 occasionally?
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Hmm so just curious. I was wondering if I set my cals to lose 1/2 lbs per week ( as oppose to 2) that gives me about 1800cal to work with in a day. I exercise a lot some days ( like today I'm biking 40k then running 10) but yesterday I did nothing. If I just always eat the 1800, and not worry about exercise cals, would that work too?
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I am giving it a shot to see if it helps in continuing my weight/fat loss. I will give a report at the end of the week and let everyone know how it comes out.
    I'm very interested in the results. Best wishes.
  • mrsparker
    mrsparker Posts: 12
    Options
    Why are you not suppose to eat the same breakfast every day? I eat my bowl of bran flakes with skim milk and strawberries every morining and my 2 cups of coffee. Is it with other meals to or just breakfast.:ohwell:
  • 2BHEALTHY
    2BHEALTHY Posts: 62
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ATE FOR THE 600 OR 500 CAL. DAY..... DOESNT FRUIT HAVE ALOT OF SUGAR. i LOVE IT THAT YOU LOST SO MANY CAL. IN ONE WEEK i WOULD LOVE TO DO THE SAME..
  • 2BHEALTHY
    2BHEALTHY Posts: 62
    Options
    Shifting your cals does work. Your metabolism takes a few days after cutting calories to begin to decrease, so then you increase the amount of cals for a couple more days, then keep doing this till you are taking in the maximum amount of calories per day that is suggested for you or you decide. If your metabolism begins to dcrease it wont have time, because you will be upping your calories every few days, and exercising daily keeps it high, and keeps you from losing muscle mass. I have been doing this for about 2 1/2 months now, and when I started, I did 3 days at 600 caloires and then 4 at 900, and I lost 5 lbs for that week, and for 2 1/2 months it has stayed off, and I lost more than just that 5 lbs, the week after I did the 600/900, I did 1200, and lost 3 lbs. I have not gained any of it back, and am still losing. I dont advise that you go as low as I did, but you can shift your calories low and as long as you up them every 3 or 4 days your metabolism will not have time to drop.
    OK i WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ATE (500-600) A DAY THX
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I am giving it a shot to see if it helps in continuing my weight/fat loss. I will give a report at the end of the week and let everyone know how it comes out.
    I'm very interested in the results. Best wishes.

I have been continuing my carb/calorie shifting from the past year and things have really gone well. I have been trying to keep things slow and steady to try and build muscle while still loosing fat. I have lost about 35 lbs and more importantly 20% body fat. I intend on keep this pace as much as possible and maintain my current weight as much as possible and reduce fat to 8%.

This is such a science and statistics thing I just love it. I have made a tone of improvements to my spreadsheet including a 2-Way, 3-Way and No-Carb cycle program. If this gets any more fun I do not know what I will do with myself. :happy:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

This is such a science and statistics thing I just love it. I have made a tone of improvements to my spreadsheet including a 2-Way, 3-Way and No-Carb cycle program. If this gets any more fun I do not know what I will do with myself. :happy:

You're my kind of dork! :wink: I'm having so much fun tinkering with workouts, calories (zig and zag), nutrient combinations.... I'm in my own little dorky heaven!

Add that I just started to run? HEAVEN! Stride length, shoe style, incline, distance, speed and results..
    *giddy handclapping* This is soooo cool!