Skinny fat and hating it

Options
ppdes
ppdes Posts: 83 Member
Hi!

I am what they call a skinny fat ectomorph. Looking to build some serious muscle.
My 167 cms - 147 pounds frame has 31% body fat and this is the reason for my low vitamin D levels and slightly higher than normal blood sugar levels . So I joined MFP - to prevent a health problems and get fitter and well-toned too.
I hope to learn from all you guys and motivate and be motivated through the message board and networks.

Cheers

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Welcome, you've come to the right place! Good luck!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm "skinny fat" as well, at least I think I am. :/
    Feel free to add me. We'll help each other out. :smile:
  • StephanieLee85
    Options
    erh me too ! im a small person with jelly belly and legs feel free to add me as well or anyone for that matter :D:D
  • yogabycrystal
    Options
    new here looking for support its hard enough losing weight will you join me on my journey ?
  • themeIcanbe
    themeIcanbe Posts: 23
    Options
    Skinny fat....what a great phrase, says it all. Often get "you don't need to lose weight" until I'm spottted in my bathers, or the muffin top hanging out and is in sight or I haven't covered the saddle thighs or......then the tune changes!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I recovered from skinny fat. :bigsmile:

The 3 best things I learned to beat the skinny fatness was to (1)stop doing obsessively huge amounts of cardio (I was a cardio bunny doing 5-6 cardio workouts per week, but now I am doing no more than 2 max), (2) make sure to do plenty of strength training using a sound program that utilizes heavy weights and the progressive overload principle to ensure progress, and (3) make sure to not undereat by calculating TDEE and taking a small (15-20%) percentage away from that and making that my calorie goal.

I got skinny fat by doing way too much cardio, not nearly enough strength training, and undereating (cause women are, for some weird reason, pretty much taught to eat like birds and do aerobics to get skinny). I was averaging 1400-1500 calories per day, doing 5-6 cardio workouts a week, and little to no real weight training. I ended up my goal weight with 30% body fat. :noway: I then started focusing on strength training, weaned myself off of the cardio, and recently upped my calories to 1800 daily. I am now actually heavier than my old goal weight at 136 pounds now (goal was 125) but I have just 22% body fat and am wearing the same clothes I was wearing when I was 125 pounds (only I look better in them now...hello muscle tone!).

Good luck in your journey!
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Great to receive support and motivation so soon, especially by people who've been there and done that. :smile:

Would be awesome if we all could exchange tips... I have added all of you, do accept.

@Lyadeia, you dont look skinny fat at all and wow! your photos totally motivate me to get going.

Thanks a bunch everyone . :drinker: (*thats protein shake I'm waving)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Also skinny fat & trying to beat it!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat here!! I've taken up lifting to become a female hardbody :)
  • Ivanhoemum
    Ivanhoemum Posts: 6
    Options
    Bump