Walk/Jogging

Options
Hi everyone!

I am trying my hardest to start jogging. I mean I really want to become a runner. Like the ones that won't even let rain stop them from running. I mean like the ones that you see in shorts even though it is quite cold out. I want to run and even started to do so but here is the problem. The muscle on the outside of my shin hurts like hell the next day and for a couple more days after that. I mean I went walk/jogging either Wednesday or Thursday of last week and my muscle is still sore. I wear air max sneakers that are fairly new. I guess my question is is this normal? What type of stretching should I do to prevent this? Is it my shoe? I find that this set back is really frustrating me because I want to be a runner! I even aspired to run a half marathon b4 the year is over. But at this rate who knows when I will be able too.

Desperatly seeking some guidance
Shima

Replies

• mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I am not a runner at all. But my sister in law was having the same problem and it was her shoes. She went to the local shoe place and special ordered her shoes to fit her needs. and I havent heard her complain since.

1554715.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fivedaily
    Options
    I think it's called shin splints. I've had it also, and yes it does hurt. From what I recall, the only "cure" or the only way to make the pain go away, and not get worse, is to stop jogging/running. I think it takes about a week. If you continue to jog, it will get worse. Now this is just what I recall and I'm not saying this is what you have, but look it up.

What a wonderful goal to want to be a jogger. Perhaps taking it easy at first will help? Starting at three times a week and then working up to five days??? I'm a walker myself, and nothing can stop me from my daily walk. I love being outdoors and it helps me deal with stress. You said you wanted to have the motivation to jog no matter what the weather. Have you thought of making your initial goal to jog a 5k race? Or just make weekly goals of miles and then work up to how fast you want to complete that mile. Before you know it, you'll have the jogging "bug!"
  • shimacrema
    Options
    Did a little research and I think shin splints is exactly what I have. I found some great exercise and stretchs for it. I am also going to invest in some Vibram FiveFinger shoes. I always found that I run the fastest barefoot so Im really looking forward to getting a pair. Thanks to everyone.

SHima
  • exercisediva
    Options
    Yes you have shin splints. I get them all the time when I start running. You have to do the exercises to strenghten your shins as well as visit a running speciality store to get the right kind of running shoe. Good luck!
  • cina409
    cina409 Posts: 23
    Options
    Shima I feel you! I always see those ladies running and say I'm going to work my way to doing that. I do really well on the elliptical but I want to be a runner. I run a little but not like I want to. I guess we just have to keep at it and we will get there. I got those Skechers shape ups and love them for the support they give to my feet. I can walk for hours and not feel any pain in my legs or feet. I just got them about a week ago so I'm going to try to run a mile today in them and I will let you know how they feel.