Third Shift Help!

Options
Help! I've been on 3rd shift since January and I just can't seem to find a routine for eating!! Suggestions!?????
I find myself eating at work, then I come home, eat, nap for a couple hours, wake up, eat, maybe eat dinner with the family later on, then nap some more before work, and then back to the cycle.. How do you third shifters do it??? I know a lot of it is confusing hunger with tiredness. How do you get a grasp on that??

Replies

• afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    Good Luck! I do the same as you. Hope there is some good advice coming....
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I work 6pm-6am - I don't have a family yet and fiancé doesn't mind if we dont eat together so I stick to IF - I eat all my calories with-in 6 hours and fast for 18 hours. Its been working for me
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I don't do 3rd shift, but I do sleep weird hours and work later in the day, so I generally eat mid-way through work, then again when I get home around midnight. I sleep for somewhere between 5 and 8 hours (usually starting between 3am and 7am), and if I'm hungry before work I'll eat "breakfast" then.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The thing that I have found that has helped me most is setting my day to begin at 7AM as opposed to midnight. That just makes more sense to me. The default diary ends at midnight which is a general time just after the time that those working day shift go to sleep. We go to sleep in the early morning. So beginning my new day at 7AM does the job for me.
  • evelynnelson77
    Options
    So I work from 6 pm till 6 am, and I know what your talking about. I have really had to adjust my whole day. First off you have to find your calorie number. then its all routine. Mine is:
    I east breakfast as usual - when I wake
    at least 7 hours no matter what
    I schedule my time to go to sleep. as in I know exactly what time I have to in my bed and I don't eat for 4 hours prior.
    Having dinner with your family is actually better because you get your bigger meal earlier in your day.
    I also try to do my work out or activity after my first meal.
    So my secret is actually adjusting my day as if 2 pm were actually 7 am and so on.
    Third shift is about getting everyone around you to understand that as well.
  • iwantanadipose
    Options
    I've been struggling with trying to figure out what will work best for me pretty much the entire 9 years I've been on third shift! The past 7 have been especially difficult since I now have a son tossed into the equation. Right now I'm working 4 nights a week 11pm-7am and then 3 nights off (my weekend starts in 40 minutes in fact!). Balancing it all isn't easy to begin with... but balancing it AND trying to get healthy? Eesh! Maybe we can figure it out together :)
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am a third shifter too. I have an open diary and I list my eating times and work times in my notes. I eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day. I starte my day after I wake up from my sleep. So my Lunch is usually my breakfast, and I eat breakfast when I get home from work, which is really like my supper. I do eat reg. breakfast in the morning though. Take a peak at my diary and maybe it will help you. (some third shifters log midnight to midnight, this doesn't work for me, for I work 3rd Mon - Thurs. then have to swing my shift around for a 10:30am to 7pm shift on Sunday.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work 6pm-6am - I don't have a family yet and fiancé doesn't mind if we dont eat together so I stick to IF - I eat all my calories with-in 6 hours and fast for 18 hours. Its been working for me
    This is what I do during my work week. I work from 11pm-7am and eat all my calories while at work. Sometimes when I super busy at work, I will wait until after I get of work and workout in the morning to eat.
  • iwantanadipose
    Options
    First thing first: lacroyx I LOVE your profile pic and ticker!!!
    How do you do your nights off?
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 3rd shift next week. This helped a lot!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    First thing first: lacroyx I LOVE your profile pic and ticker!!!
    How do you do your nights off?

Ahhh, forgot to check up on this! Sorry for the delayed response. On my nights off, Mon and Tues, it just depends on how my day overall is going to be. Sometimes I still just eat 1-2 meals, other times I'll do the typical Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner with snacks in between.
  • blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been on 3rd shift going on six years now. It took me a while to figure this out as well. You can do it one of two ways. First you can say that your day is when you wake up til you go to sleep. This means your breakfast is everyone else's dinner, your lunch is in the middle of the night, and your dinner is everybody else's breakfast. Or you can say that a days worth of calories is from midnight to midnight. This is what I do because on the first and last days of work, I stay up with my three kids and husband for over 24hrs. I know this isn't the healthiest of practices, but it is to ensure that I actually see them. So my diary would be like a normal persons on my days off. On my Mondays and Fridays, I have breakfast lunch and dinner, and an overnight lunch all in one 24 hour time period. The middle of my work week I don't eat a lunch during the day as I am sleeping. So when I wake up, I eat dinner as breakfast to finish out that day. Head to work and after midnight is a new day. I have my overnight lunch and breakfast as my dinner on this new day and then go to bed. I know this may sound super confusing, but it is what I have to do since I stay up those two days. It gets kinda funky weigh-on wise on the days I stay up, so I make sure my weigh-in day is on my day off after my body has had a chance to fully rest.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Did 7p-7a for 4 yrs and I still followed with the 12a-11:59p logging. I found it best to eat before I left work around 4 am, hit the gym then home to bed. I can't eat right before I sleep so no eating when I got home. On this shift I could never get a full 6-8hrs of sleep bc I usually did back to backs or if I was off that night I only slept a few hrs to be able to go to bed at a normal time with my husband. This helped me stay on a regular schedule on my off days. Here's how I ate on a night I had to work. I usually had bigger meals if I was off the night before or I would snack more throughout the day. This is what worked for me; I'm someone who can't do large meals and has to eat every 2-3 hrs. Hope this helps somewhat.

8-10 am Breakfast
    12-1 pm Lunch
    4-5 pm Snack or Dinner with Family
    7-9 pm Snack or Dinner depending on what I had earlier
    10:30p-12a Snack

That day ends at 12 am for logging.

2 am Snack
    4-5 am Breakfast
    If I went to the gym after work I had a post workout shake.
    Lunch was when I woke up
    Then repeat the cycle if I was working or if I was off I usually snacked more and then had dinner around 6-7 pm,
  • sbatz111
    sbatz111 Posts: 35
    Options
    Personally, I set my diary to run from noon to noon. I'm usually sleeping at this time, but it worked out much better for me. Working 7pm to 7am. I eat a large meal before work (when I wake up) with my husband. I "pick" when I'm at work, since I don't have time to eat a full meal. I bring a lunch bag with lots of fruits, veggies, and one 100 calorie snack pack.

When I started this, I had to remind myself that just because i BROUGHT all this food doesn't mean I have to EAT all this food. I eat when I can, and stop when I'm not hungry. When I get home, I eat the rest of my calories for breakfast. Some days I have lots left, some days not too many. Either way, I do my workout, then head to bed to start all over again.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Third shift here 9pm-7am
    Firstly, I operate on less sleep now a days (sadly)
    Lets say I wake up at 2pm after going to sleep at 830am. I'm allowed 1900 cals. We. I wake up I drink a 220 cal protein shake. Go to gym, have a Greek yogurts and one more scoop protein. Then it's time to go to work (yes kind of hungry ) but I saved my carbs so that I can eat more freely at work, where im lucky enough to be able to cook so I make some chicken and rice/red potatoes. Then ill have more plain Greek yogurt with some PB.
    THIS IS 4 days a week. Not the best routine but third shift sucks.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Third shift is awful! Over two years I would swear that's what put weight on me because I was constantly eating at work and I craved high carb food all the time, I think to give me that extra burst of energy through the shift. What I found works for me is to come home, and eat a small "breakfast" around 8 am. Some things I eat are boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, or nuts. I get up around 2, have a snack, then eat dinner around 5 or so. I usually catch a nap before going back into work then I eat lunch at work between 1 and 2 am and sometimes eat a smack around 5 am, usually high protein like nuts. The big thing for me was not eating throughout my shift which took lots of work. I am about to start 12 hour shifts next week so I'm hoping to figure out a good routine for that!
    Right now my shift is 11 to 730. My diary runs from 3 am to 3 am, so my 5 am snack goes on the next day. Also pack your own lunch with healthy things and eat small amounts at a time. I still have that hunger/tiredness confusion thing at times but bringing healthy foods allows me to satisfy that without compromising my calories.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know it won't work for everyone and is probably frowned upon, but what worked best for me and was an easy routine was as follows:
    5pm wake up
    6-8pm (kinda varied) eat 600calorie meal
    10pm start work
    12a snack, banana or apple
    2-3am lunch, 600calorie meal
    7am off work
    9am bed

Now if you're eating more than 1200/day or are exercising, you could easily add another meal in there somewhere. But that was honestly what worked best for me. Now, I stayed SUPER busy at work. If I had a slower paced job with access to food, it might not have been so easy.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I know it won't work for everyone and is probably frowned upon, but what worked best for me and was an easy routine was as follows:
    5pm wake up
    6-8pm (kinda varied) eat 600calorie meal
    10pm start work
    12a snack, banana or apple
    2-3am lunch, 600calorie meal
    7am off work
    9am bed

Now if you're eating more than 1200/day or are exercising, you could easily add another meal in there somewhere. But that was honestly what worked best for me. Now, I stayed SUPER busy at work. If I had a slower paced job with access to food, it might not have been so easy.

No reason for it to be frowned upon, it is what works for you! :) I have hypoglycemia and digestive issues so small frequent meals work best for me.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work 11p-730a. i start counting calories for my day after midnight. so my "breakfast" is what i eat at work, i usually aim for something around 300 cals. After work, i do one of two things:

8am gym for 1-1.5 hrs, home to shower, eat "lunch": something with protein/carbs ~400 cals, digest. sleep til noon-6. dinner with family around 7. nap 9-10. back to work at 11.

OR!

home to sleep, wake up 2-3pm, eat something small like a sandwich for lunch, gym 1-1.5 hrs, home. eat dinner at 7 with family. digest. nap. back to work.

i go to the gym 3x/wk and aim for every other day. my off days from either gym or work are usually when i sleep more and try to have a life. i try to stick to 1200 cals unless i workout, then i eat back at least half. i'm 5'4, and now i'm down about 17 lbs after 10 weeks. hope this helps, it seemed to work for me.
  • msigman1
    msigman1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is really hard to stay on track working third shift. I have worked third shift for years. What I do is take GNC Total Lean™ Live Lean & Fit Pak Dietary Supplement everyday. I split the pack up, taking half before I leave the house and the other half way through my work day. I make my meals ahead for the day. I eat a lot of protein for every meal. I am all about easy made meals. I get the eggbeaters egg whites only. I will cook the entire little container for two out of three of my meals for the day. They reheat well. I add dry seasoning to them because they do not have a lot of flavor. A low carb whole wheat wrap with fresh veggies and salsa. Super easy, quick, and yummy.