Tesco Shocker

Options
Morning Guys and Girls!

Last night my other half did dinner for us...I had about 550 calories left over for it so he threw a tesco meal in the microwave. Tesco Oriental Kung Po chicken and rice.

On the plate I had about 4 small pieces of diced chicken, a lot of sauce, couple of cashew nuts, and some rice. How many calories can that possibly be? there wasn't much to the meal...

Curious, I sought the package out of the bin

ONLY 730 CALORIES!!!!! That's disgusting considering how little I felt I actually ate! That was a single meal for one person!

Not a happy bunny! Took me over my intake. :(

Replies

• CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    weight wtchers are good and you can get tesco light choices :)
    x
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes, you're right, they're loaded with calories for the small amount that you get and sometimes expensive to buy. Unfortunately a lot of processed packaged foods are loaded this way. If you can, cook from scratch then at least you have control of what's going in your meal. i know this can be time consuming but long term you will be healthier and happier with the results. All the best.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    scary! Home Bargains sell fresh food now. I buy they cooked chicken fillets, so I can cut them up and throw them in the pan if hungry. You might have been better with that and half a jar of something like sharwoods
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This isn't a preachy "I hate ready meals" post, because I KNOW how easy (and cheap) they are - god knows I lived off them for years when I was shift working - but...(always a but) I generally steer well clear of them for two reasons.

a) For the calorific value, they are hopelessly small and
    b) I end up feeling disgusting because they are usually packed full of additives, salt and sweeteners (especially the low-cal ones)

If you have the time, I'd definitely recommend cooking from scratch - even if you think you can't cook, what you DO cook will probably be far nicer - it's also really exciting finding new recipes. Something I used to do when I was really, really busy and didn't have time to cook in the evenings/low on cash was cooking for maybe 2-3 hours on a Sunday and then freezing portions and defrosting/reheating later in the week/weeks later. It IS time consuming for those 2-3 hours, but it is financially more efficient and you have a say in what you eat.

But honestly? Don't sweat it - the occasional ready meal and going over your intake slightly is NOT going to make you gain weight you've lost. You may feel a bit bloated, but they aren't particularly harmful to most people.
  • ultimuttginge
    Options
    Oh dont get me wrong I do eat healthy but after a long day in work last night my OH just threw somethingin for me. Comes to something though when you think under 600 calories should be enough for tea? lol. Couldn't believe it! Even he was surprised when I told him. Mind you I remember a colleague of mine buying a Tesco Chicken and something sandwich for her lunch and nearly spat it out again when she read that there were almost 600cals in it?!
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    weight wtchers are good and you can get tesco light choices :)
    x

I've heard weight watchers can be a bit iffy, but the light choices range is fantastic! Great portions too!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Kung Po is very sugar heavy - its no surprise its calorific. It wouldn't matter which supermarket it was from - its the reciepe not the store. You'll note the ASDA version is the same - http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/frozen_ready_meals/asda_chinese_kung_po_chicken_and_egg_fried_rice_375g.html
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Haha... not shocked at all, and it's not unique to Tesco. Sorry for your underwhelming meal - consider it lesson learned! Check labels first, preferably when you're buying the things so you're disappointed later.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Tesco do have plenty of ready meal dishes that are far lower than that and do taste ok. the fresh ready meals are often around 400-600 cals and very filling as well as tasty. Thai, Indian and more come in those selections and they are not full of rubbish either. (After a long day at work sometimes all you need is something quick and easy lol) And then there is their specific low cal selections too.

We have a Tesco about 20 mins walk from where I work so I often use buying some lunch as a focus for getting in extra exercise and when there I tend to choose the fresh sushi meals to take back to work. The larger packs are only 295 cals so I can fit in fruit/drink or even quavers too.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Fat has 3 times the calories that are in carbs and protein. The sauce probably saw to that.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I kind of expect all those ready made meals to be high in calories and all sorts of additives and sugar, which is why I avoid them. But like someone else said, one of these meals once in a while won't kill you or anything.

I try to have always have something I've made in the freezer for those nights when I don't feel like cooking--chili freezes really well, for instance. So do things like sauces, curries, etc. I also always have some eggs on hand if there happens to be nothing in the freezer. Eggs are fast and you can do all sorts of stuff with them for dinner, especially if you've got a few veggies hanging around your fridge. Frittatas are a favourite around here.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    "Low Fat" or "Low Calorie" ready meals are generally horrific.

You could try the Marks & Spencer "Fuller For Longer" ready meals though. They are generally quite good and the higher protein content helps with keeping you full.

They are quite expensive individually but they usually have good deals where you can buy 3 for £10 I think.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The ready meals are fatal. I was stunned when i first started on here and actually looked at what these meals had in them. The weight watchers meals tend to be around 3-500 cals max. The vegetarian meals are also on the lower side providing its not like asda extra special cauliflower cheese (if memory serves that was around 800 cals) Also the marks and spencers fuller for longer meals are spectacular. They are rather pricey at around £4-£5 each but they are also around 400 cals and they really do keep u feeling full.

What helped me was the MFP app on my phone. Open your diary for a day and you can quick scan the meals with the barcode scanner instead of struggling with small print and it tells u EXACTLY whats in the meals (meaning the bits you log on your diary.. Ie carbs protein, calories etc) It also doubles up as a fun toy for the kiddies to amuse themselves with if your trying to entertain them while you shop.

Good luck on your journey xxx
  • LBizzle117
    LBizzle117 Posts: 5
    Options
    Kirsty's ready meals are available from Boots and Sainsburys and they are like 260-400 calories and no crap in them, gluten free etc. Give them a try! Their sausages are yummy!!
  • echippendale
    Options
    i have tescos eat live and enjoy meals, they are fab and under 500cals, there also very filling. im forever looking at calorie contents on food now . x
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Kirsty's ready meals are available from Boots and Sainsburys and they are like 260-400 calories and no crap in them, gluten free etc. Give them a try! Their sausages are yummy!!

Sausage & sweet potato mash? Yes please!

Bang a huge side of veg on to that and you will be golden for hours...
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Had a talk yesterday from David Gillespie of Sweet Poison book (eat no fructose) . When asked about what food to avoid he said.
    1 eat nothing that has a label
    2. Eat from the edges of supermarkets. In Australia that is fruit, veg, fresh meat. Fish. Dairy. Fozen veg. Some assembly is required.
    3. Nothing with "Lite" in its name.
    While this was focused on eliminating fructose from your diet, its also pretty good advice for healthy eating! :happy:
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Make your own food :drinker:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Tesco do Brannsiters frozen jackets - just 3 ins in the microwave - quick fry a steak and add a bag of salad - around 450 calories and very filling.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Have to say, dont be fooled by things that have "lite/low fat option" written on it..

Myself an hubby did a test on the mayo for this...

Helmans light mayonnaise has more fat than tesco light mayonnaise

Tesco value has even more less fat than tesco light mayo...

needless to say, we now have tesco value mayo :D