All Day I Dream About...Food

Options
Yes, I admit it. I think about food constantly. When I'm not eating, I think about what I could be eating if I just took a few steps into the kitchen. When I am eating, I'm thinking about what I want to eat later. I really want to lose weight and I know I should cut back. But I feel like I'm torturing myself by thinking about food all day! Has anyone found a way around this besides meditation?

Replies

• autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    Options
    I used to be more obsessive about food but I've discovered when I'm full and not hungry the thoughts tend to disappear.

I plan ahead meals, wonder about what foods to make in the future, read recipes online, read nutrition books, also i'm obsessed with myfitnesspal (logging and reading other people's diaries to get food ideas).

If you love food so much (and who could blame you :) ), why stop thinking about it?

Keep yourself busy, like work, reading, exercising, etc....

Or other option: indulge in your obsessions, learn and read and think as much as you can about it.
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough? when I was an anorexic I was the same way (not accusing you of being anorexic haha, just wondering if you're eating -1200) :-)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein...like 20 grams per meal. I love food. I think about it all the time. Protein helps me eat to live instead of living to eat.
  • bubblegang
    bubblegang Posts: 2
    Options
    Lucky you. Me, I want chocolates.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Do some exercise - anything from a small walk to a full gym sesh will distract you. Taking up a new hobby, espicially one where you meet new people, also helps keep your mind off food. When you are tired or after exercise some reading or sudoku is a quick fix to stop thinking about food. Last but not least if these dont work put your foodie thoughts to good use and cook up some recipes you've never tried before! Good luck :)
  • krystleneal
    krystleneal Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice!
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you ever though about trying to eat low carb? I used to have this same problem, but mostly with sweets. Other foods to though. Now that I eat low carb, I don't have this problem at all anymore. Sometimes I actually dread eating because I'm not hungry. When eating low carb, you are eating more fats, which make you fuller, which makes you not want to think about food.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Addicted to the food channel. My food board on pinterest has like 500 pins. I love to cook, bake, anything. It helps me to excersise or just do anything besides let my mind wander to that place.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time, too.
    I don't restrict myself and have 'forbidden' foods because that makes me miserable as sin. I eat pretty well and I eat what I like within my calorie limits. But still, always thinking about food.
    I plan what I want to eat later in the day, or the next day, or on the weekend. I think about it while I'm exercising, too. The only thing that seems to take my mind off food is work, because I'm ridiculously busy for those eight hours. But the rest of the time, generally thinking about food. Or kittens.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel you, girl! it's usually just chocolate, though. I can obsess over a chocolate bar for hours, and no matter how much I eat of other foods or how full I get, I still can't get it off my mind. It's usually at that point where I cave in and eat one, however that doesn't even help the craving usually... ahh I must be addicted