How much strength training should I do?

Options
Since I've started my weightloss journey (in December), I haven't once done any strength/resistance training...I know, that's bad. I know now that it's very important.

I just wanted to know how much I should do. I work out four times a week (30-60 mins per workout). Should I add strength exercises to that? Or, should I cut down the cardio and add some resistance exercises?
How many minutes? What types of exercises.

I'm just trying to start getting rid of this flab I've acquired since losing 20 pounds.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week works best for most, in a progressive resistance programme.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO buy the book Starting Strength, read it cover to cover, and do what it says. It's not perfect, but nothing is, and I find it to be the most comprehensive and consistently best beginner information resource and starting program out there.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week works best for most, in a progressive resistance programme.

This

You can start with a 3-day full body routine which is best for beginners (New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great program).

At this point I do a 4-day split, 1 day back/abs, 1 day shoulders/arms, 1 day heavy legs and 1 day light full body.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    IMO buy the book Starting Strength, read it cover to cover, and do what it says. It's not perfect, but nothing is, and I find it to be the most comprehensive and consistently best beginner information resource and starting program out there.

I agree. Do some research. I am very much in the same situation you are. Just finished my second week of weight training and I got to tell you...holy smokes it kicked my metabolism into overdrive! Find what works for you. I am not lifting any esoteric weights. Just doing main muscles at this point. I start with 15 minutes or so of high cardio to warm up, then go lift. Upper body day 1, lower body day 2. Cardio day three. Repeat and then take a day off. Works for me. Takes me about 40 minutes for my lifting routine. One thing...don't shy away from the legs. They suck, the exercises are hard, but they really are important. Just my advice and experience. Good luck!
  • saleh1988
    saleh1988 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you can train the whole week , but one or 2 days are cardio and 5 days for the rest of the body