What to eat before exercising??

Options
AngryManx
AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
So, I am just starting on the journey to get healthy, and I am struggling with food more than exercise. I also sruggle with portion control. But my main question right now is what do I eat before exercising? I'm an apple shape, and really would like to become more hourglass, LOL.

I realize that it's calories in vs. calories out, but I'm not sure if I should lean more to proteins or carbs or what to work off the weight.

Replies

• Shaunte86
    Shaunte86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Prior to working out eat carbs, after your workout refuel your body with protein. In terms of loosing weight in general I would stick to a lower carb, higher protein diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, I am just starting on the journey to get healthy, and I am struggling with food more than exercise. I also sruggle with portion control. But my main question right now is what do I eat before exercising? I'm an apple shape, and really would like to become more hourglass, LOL.

I realize that it's calories in vs. calories out, but I'm not sure if I should lean more to proteins or carbs or what to work off the weight.

Eat nothing. Eat after working out. It's hard at first ,then nice.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options

I work out at 11 am and if I don't eat a meal before working out I cant lift as much & tire out so about 9am I'll have an egg, and when I make my morning smoothie I'll put in a scoop of protein. I also make sure to bring a protein bar to eat post workout until I can get home to make lunch.

I don't know how you can workout with no fuel? you don't want to eat before so that your working out on a full stomach, you want it to be long enough to where your body is starting to use it as fuel when you go.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Yes. I workout around 19 hours fasted every day. Solid gains while losing fat.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're doing. "Exercise" is too broad of a term. Generally, you want carbs 30-60 minutes before working out. However, if you're not doing something very intense, you might find you don't need it.

Do what your body says. For me, if I'm desiring something super intense, I need to fuel up. If I don't, I'll still get a decent to good workout in, but I won't reach the higher level I want. As an example, I can wake up and just go walk for 5 miles without fueling up. However, if I go run a 5k without fueling up, my pace will be much slower.

As to after exercise, that depends too. If you're running, you want a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio (yes, that's 4 carbs, 1 protein and is according to many sources including Runner's World). This is why you'll see chocolate milk being touted as a good thing to consume after a run. If you're doing ab work then a 4:1 ratio is probably not that important.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Prior to working out eat carbs, after your workout refuel your body with protein.

Exactly what I was going to say :)

Carbs give good energy for the workout and the protein gets eaten up to restore what was lost.
  • Larenzia
    Larenzia Posts: 1
    Options
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i w ould never eat before exercising
    id puke
    exercising on a full belly
    not a good idea
    maybe eat something light then if u must
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i eat a rather large meal about 30 minutes to an hour before running 6 miles mon through friday.

my breakfast is an egg on toast, and a bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries, plus a cup of coffee and a shot (1 oz) of oj.

i have no issues with my run. but don't overeat for your body, especially if you're new to exercise. start eating light, but keep it healthy. protein is always good imo.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

It definitely doesn't work for everyone. You don't have to train fasted. Only if you want to.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    carbohydrates are the first your body burns during a workout.

after that, it resorts to burning to fat.

so the suggestion for the best performance during a workout is to eat a high carb meal before exercising.
    post-exercising, make sure you stock up on protein! this helps build muscle.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I would urge you to experiment a bit in an attempt to find out what tends to give you the best combination of gym performance and personal satisfaction while still maintaining your overall dietary needs and goals.

And that protocol will vary quite heavily from person to person.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I eat complex carbs (a diced and cooked apple in rolled oatmeal) before and as soon as I finish the workout, I drink coconut water + a scoop of protein powder. It helps with the muscle recovery and i'm not super sore the day after.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would urge you to experiment a bit in an attempt to find out what tends to give you the best combination of gym performance and personal satisfaction while still maintaining your overall dietary needs and goals.

And that protocol will vary quite heavily from person to person.

This.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I personally can't exercise hungry. My heart rate is much faster, i feel light headed and really struggle with my usual routines. So i tend to work out about an hour after breakfast of cereal, or if its evening exercise i have a banana and a yogurt before, then my dinner afterwards.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Timing is everything. Even the best foods can come back to haunt you mid-workout if not allowed to properly digest, so it's best to eat 45 minutes to an hour before you work out—longer after heavy meals. While certain foods settle well and hit the bloodstream quickly, exercising on a full stomach can still make you feel sluggish. Worse, it can cause stomach cramps, because exercise pulls blood away from stomach to the muscles.

If you can't wait more than 45 minutes between meal and workout, it's better to have a small snack than exercise on an empty stomach.
    Have an easily digestible, simple-carb snack like yogurt or fruit, and eat a full meal after exercising
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My workout begins at 9am as that's when the daycare is open at the gym. So I usually just have a small bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios and milk (I do the suggested serving size on the side of the box) with the kids.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat some prunes and/or dried cranberries about 30 min prior to working out then a banana 30 min after.
  • AngryManx
    AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually workout afterwork, so I have already been up and moving for around 11 hours or so. I just don't have time to workout in the morning. I was eating Chobani greek yogurt (with fruit on the bottom) before working out, but then one of the trainers remarked that it had a lot of sugar in it - around 19 to 20 grams. I try to lift weights twice a week, and cardio for 45 - 60 minutes twice a week, on different days.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting heavy (which is usually 5 days a week) I have a protein shake 1.5 hrs before my workout. If I am running I usually eat a banana or some fruit 45 minutes out....and water.....