Can my hypothyroidism make me depressed?

Options
I just wondered if my thyroid problem can make me be depressed?? Has anyone out there had this problem? Maybe my meds are not working anymore...my hair is starting to fall out in handfulls again!!
Please let me know if you have heard of this.....

Replies

• amy0776
    amy0776 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have the same EXACT problem, and my doc says the depression isn't related. She just says I'm a "normal mom with normal depression issues." Ugh...since when did depression become normal?? And my hair is coming out by the handfuls too - of course, that could be because my doc doesn't want to do any bloodwork. Maybe it's time for me to find a new doc!! : /
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it can! If you are just extra tired too I would call it a definite! I am checked every 6 months for any changes in my levels. If it has been longer than that, be sure to get checked!

I don't think there is anything normal about depression. Sure we all have down days but that doesn't mean we should always feel depressed! Remember to take good care of yourself so you can take care of others!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    YES! I was diagnosed last year. I felt sluggish, lowsy, lazy, and didnt like my self too much. I tried working out, I tried ani depressants/anti anxiety meds, and nothing worked. I finally went to the DR and got my thyroid tested, and bam. I dropped all other meds, started my thyroid medication, and I felt better is literally 2 weeks. I was more energized, I didnt hit the snooze butten, I had the enrgy to work out, get up early, and love life.

Maybe see if you need to up your meds and get tested again? I take a very small dosage but it was the boost I needed,

Good Luck :)
  • JaimeLeeper
    Options
    I was diagnosed over 3 years ago with both hypothyroidism and major depression. I think they are both related because they have very similar symptoms - except for maybe the hair issue. Like others, I get a thyroid test every 6 months and have had the thyroid meds adjusted 3 times.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh ladies, depression is most definitely a part of hypothyroidism. Look up any "Good Medical" site about Hypothyroidism and it is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism along with lack of libido, dry skin, tiredness, hair loss, no energy, being cold, lack of interest in things that you use to have interest in. If a doctor told you that depression is not a symptom then they obviously are not school enough in endocrinology. You should see an endocrinologist if you have been diag. with hypothyroidism.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It ABSOLUTELY could be your hypothyroidism--especially if you hair is falling out! That's such a classic symptom. Of course the good news is that it is easy to check your thyroid!

If it is NOT your thyroid and you are depressed anyway, please do not be afraid if your doctor wants to try meds, especially an SSRI like prozac, paxil or zoloft. I suffered terribly from depression for many years and was afraid to tell my doctor for fear of being labeled "crazy." I put my family through a LOT!! When I finally reached the point where I felt as though I were at the bottom of a deep dark well with no way to get out, I broke my silence. The doctor prescribed an SSRI for me and after a few weeks (it takes a few weeks to build up in your system) I felt normal again. Not like I was on a high or an artificial anything--just normal. What a relief!
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That is a great testimony knittygirl52! I bet there are a lot of women out there that maybe feel the same way and maybe they won't be afraid to say something now. Good piece of advise:):flowerforyou: