Never been to a gym. HELP!

Options
I have recently been told by both my GP and my cardiologist that I need to get in to shape or else. When you hear from two seperate doctors in the the same week it's pretty scary. They both even mentioned bariatric procedure which I found shocking because somehow I hadn't realized how big I had really let myself get. Pretty horrifying realization, once I really stood in front of the mirror for more then 2 seconds and really looked at what I had done to myself.

So after a good cry ( or two) I have decided I am going to be proactive and start going to a gym. I have always avoided gyms like the plague and feel about thisbig anywhere around them. I can feel my self esteem drop even being next door to one. :)

So I need some advice on how to overcome this. I have no idea really even what to expect I guess I am stuck in the mindset that it's going to be a bunch of Jillian and Bob's and a lone fatty. (me)

I was thinking about using a personal trainer but again I do have limitations because of my heart and I am worried that I am going to get some roided out fanatic who has me flipping tractor tires.

As you can see I have worried about this forever. ;)

So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First of all, when at the gym, seriously, no one is judging you for being fat!!! If anything, you will get people that are willing to give advice if they see you are trying your best! I see the personal trainers at my gym working with all sorts of clients. They will have you work out based on your abilities. You won't get a Jillian or Bob type trainer. Make sure you tell them up front about your heart condition and your limitations due to it. They will work around it. (They may also want a doctor's release just a forewarning.) I am a member of my local Y. There are many classes available, the water aerobics class is a great low impact class to start out with. I used to fear the gym. Now I love it!!
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't have any magical cure for gymitis but I can relate to being a little intimidated at first. All I can say is push through it. Get in your own head and realize you are at the gym for you because YOU need it and to hell with anyone else and what they think or if they are looking at you. Soon you will find you don't care and frankly neither do they everybody is there doing their own thing and frankly hopefully/probably wishing you the best with your fitness. Try some of the free passes to find a place you feel comfortable using.
  • CoralBreeze
    CoralBreeze Posts: 49
    Options
    hey!

Firstly, everyone in a gym doesnt care who's around them, they're all just too busy doing their own thing to be bothered about what everyone else is doing. i used to be exactly like you and be so paranoid about going to the gym but its seriously not at all like you imagine.
    Does your gym perhaps do ladies only at any point? the gym i go to has a few hours throughout the week and at weekend that are ladies only.
    Just go for it, take an mp3 player or something with you and i guarantee you'll enjoy it :) x
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    First of all, when at the gym, seriously, no one is judging you for being fat!!! If anything, you will get people that are willing to give advice if they see you are trying your best! I see the personal trainers at my gym working with all sorts of clients. They will have you work out based on your abilities. You won't get a Jillian or Bob type trainer. Make sure you tell them up front about your heart condition and your limitations due to it. They will work around it. (They may also want a doctor's release just a forewarning.) I am a member of my local Y. There are many classes available, the water aerobics class is a great low impact class to start out with. I used to fear the gym. Now I love it!!

This. Gyms are filled with real people just like you. Using a trainer will actually help you learn all of the equipment . If you find a gym where you don't feel welcome, find a different one. Regarding Bob/Jillian, realize that is TV. I doubt they are even like that in real life. Your fears really are bigger in your head than in reality. Really.

Good luck and I hope this is the wake up call that gets you on the path toward health.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The gym can seem intimidating at first, but you get used to it. I use a leisure centre council run gym, and the people that go are not as pretentious or as smug as some of the private ones you go to. There are people of all shapes, ages and sizes. If you can get a buddy to go with you for a while that helps, and after you build up confidence you will be able to go on your own. I have several gym buddies, including my husband lol, they all like different things so i go with them or i go on my own, im not bothered. You get to know the staff and other regulars after a while too.

I started swimming 2-3 times a week for an hour, started to get a bit bored after a few months and moved onto the gym as well. I would only use cardio machines for the first 6 months, like cross trainer, and treadmill, then i found i needed to target specific areas, so moved onto the weights machines, etc. Once i got used to those, I got the gym staff to make me a program of cardio and weights, which was really good. I change this about every 6 weeks. Also try the classes. I do aquafit, which is low impact, and a bit like aerobics but in water. Its a good starter class. Zumba is a killer, but so much fun, and sh'bam ( both are dance routine based), is easier the zumber and also fun. Body combat is awesome too. It doesnt matter if you have two left feet, you just do what you can and you will find you improve over the weeks.

I would start gentle and add more as you build confidence. Dont expect instant results either, its not a quick fix. Dont let people put you off, you have to do it for you, not for everyone else . Good luck!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to a gym. DON'T GO. I can tell you I have never steped foot in a gym for many of the same reasons. Instead I did a lot of what I like. I started running, hiking, biking and kayaking. For stength I got kettle bells and handweights I got some Jillian Michaels DVDs and that's it. Start with wii workouts if you have a wii.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good for you for deciding to change your life and become healthy.

I'm sure you already know this, but you can work your butt off at the gym every day and not lose any weight if your diet isn't right. Use this website to figure out your calorie goals and do your best to meet that goal every day. Try to slowly phase out bad eating habits and introduce new ones. Log EVERYTHING (good and bad) on here, add some friends, and make yourself accountable. It's crazy how much it helps. Also, a food scale is really important for knowing correct portions. I got a digital one at Target for $20. Same thing with measuring cups/spoons.

I agree with what everyone said about the gym. There are all shapes and sizes there, and everyone is there for the same goal: to get in better shape. Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't even worry about that. You can also read reviews for gyms near you on Yelp. A lot of times people will comment about the clientele and trainers and it might help you pick one that you might like.

That being said, I lost 30lbs and reached my goal without setting foot in a gym. I just found that I made excuses not to go so I found it easier to set up a little something at home. I started with walking/jogging outside and doing Jillian Michaels DVDs. Anything you do consistently will help, and as you see progress it will keep you motivated. I kept a dry-erase calendar on the wall in the room I worked out in and wrote down my workouts and skip days and it helped me a lot.

Good luck!
  • Madmen4
    Madmen4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is a bit intimidating at first. I recently started back at a gym after a 13 yr hiatus. At 62 yrs old/ 5'7" and having balooned to 250lbs, I HAD to go back. Concentrate on your own workout, and if you can afford it, hire a personal trainer. My trainer made all the difference in my comeback. Don't just hire anyone however, get recomendations and interview them to discover what their philosophy is after you tell them your goals and expectations. Be as honest with your trainer as you are with yourself. Don't lie to either. If a certain exercise set is out of reach for your current level, tell them. They will find an alternate. Conversely, if you feel that you need to push harder, tell them that too. Also, by all means take it slow. You didn't get where you are now overnight, and you are not going to get where you want to be overnight either. Combine diet and exercise with adequate sleep and good hydration. You will encounter muscleheads, VERY fit people and people dedicated to working out as a lifestyle. But you will encounter many more folks just like you who are out to make a difference in their lives. Anyone that judges another's activity or fitness or whatever at a good reputable facility isn't worth worrying about. It has always seemed to me that the "too pretty" people or far more self-conscious than us plain old folks. Dedicate the time, the energy ( and the money) but start now, and accept no lame excuses from yourself rationalizing why you should not make a workout session. You will enjoy the difference that YOU make with your life.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a local private women's only gym (about a month and a half ago), and signed up for a personal trainer and it was the best decision I have ever made for myself.

Go to a few local gyms in your area and see what they are like. You will find one that is more appealing than the others, be it women only, one with a pool, whatever. Then just pull up your laces and go! No one is judging you, everyone is at the gym to better themselves just like you are trying to. I have a crazy amount of weight to lose, but I don't find the people at the gym intimidating at all. I have made some great friends there and have taken some awesome classes. Just like most things we fear we build it up in our heads to be worse than it actually is.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym about a month ago, I was nervous, a little terrified, and no matter how much I read about "no one cares" it never really sank in. Terrified. And so I forced myself to go and sign up (lot of mental bullying), I went to a gym near my work/home, they gave a tour of the different areas, let me look in the locker room (phew it has changing areas - yay), etc. then I signed up. Then it took another 2 days to actually go. And you know what? Everyone is right. No one cares. Some people will look, but I think they're not actually looking at you, they're working on their own thing and concentrating.

If you decide to go, take a tour, ask any questions, observe the atmosphere. Ask if they have an orientation where people can show you different equipment, and if they offer it, take them up on a gimmie 1 time with a trainer (if you can't afford it or don't feel comfortable with the person, then that's fine, explain that, move on. They offered it, you took it) which can also give you some idea on different exercises to try.
    Are you going to a gym (which is primarily weights) or a Fitness Center (weights, cardio, maybe swimming, etc). Do they offer classes? My gym offers cycling, Zumba, yoga, water aerobics, etc. and I do try and hit a class, knowing it may push me more than I push me. A lot of people recommend the rules of weight lifting for women if you want to get into weights (I'm a beginner, me and my 6pds. >.<) which I recommend in balance with cardio. I also do a lot of walking/slow jog on the treadmill as it's disgustingly hot and humid in Houston.
    I'm over 300pds, and I may not be fast, I may not be strong, but I'm still in there at least 3 times a week right in prime time with the hard core gym rats. Bravo to their accomplishments, and bravo for me being in their working out like I need to.

And sure, if you don't want to go to a gym/can't afford it, then honestly don't. You don't NEED a gym to lose weight and get in shape. There are plenty of videos you can work out with (don't push yourself too hard!), and you can get a weights (not a set, but maybe 2 or 3 different pounds) for $5+ (check used sporting goods stores too). I lost about 80pds with doing the Biggest Loser Cardio and Strength videos (with 3 and 6pd weights), and walking 5/days a week for a half hour a day, and logging what I ate.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your kind words. SO I went to gym today. It is one a friend recommended to me. There is a 7 day free pass that I printed out. I got a tour and worked out for about 45 minutes and then talked to the staff again about different deals they have going on right now.

I didn't push myself to hard. But I just orientated myself with the different equipment and watched how the trainers worked with their clients because I think I want to use a trainer for awhile to make sure I am doing everything right.

But I found that as I started working out I got so focused on listening to the music and what I was doing that I didn't really notice what anybody else was doing. I just kinda got busy doing my own thing.

Thank you for your encouragement it was the extra push a definetely needed.

Going back tomorrow!!!:happy: