has weight loss taken over your life?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
Female, 25, 5'6
SW in May 2012: 157
CW: 134lbs
GW: 124lbs (depending on how i look then)
Heaviest weight: 180lbs

I used to be care free, a lot heavier than i am now mind, but i had fun, i was spontaneous and enjoyed life. This isn't me being vain or anything because i have suffered with some terrible low self esteem and still do, but i have a fairly pretty face and i am quite charasmatic but my weight has always been in the back of my mind, i have never been happy with the way i look, even when i was having all the fun (i just seemed to be drunk most of that time and not worry!) and i know, if i get to how i want to look, i will be at peace with myself and not feel so self conscious, but at the same time....

But i feel like this calorie counting, constant exercising is taking over my life; i don't have the time for my friends in the week anymore because i am fitting in my five days of exercising after work which means i don't get home until late, if i don't exercise i get anxious and terrified that i am going to wake up with all my weight back on, i find myself checking out the nutritional information on absolutely everything and feel so guilty if i have an extra bowl of cereal or indulge in some cookies on a sunday.

I am always on here, reading posts, googling different things about weight loss etc.

i know it's a lifestyle change and for me to be where i want to be, i feel like i'm going to have to be paying constant attention all the time, even when (i finally and hopefully) reach maintenance. I am starting to miss my spontanious "oh it's friday lets go and get hammered" nights out or the "sod it, it's two pizzas for the price of one tuesday, lets get a pizza tonight" without feeling full of remorse and worried about the weight gain.

The one thing i want is to look how i have always wanted to look, but i didn't want the constant 'on-edge' of it all.

Does anyone feel the same? or has anyone over come feeling like this?

Replies

• clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's certainly taken over my life, and I'm OK with that. I need to keep it in the forefront of my mind because it's such a huge lifestyle change that I always need to be aware of what I'm doing ever day in order to make daily choices that will affect my future.

I was always bothered with my weight, but never actually did anything about it until last year. I got so out of touch with my body that to see changes take effect often blow my mind. Also, a lack of patience also affects how I think of weight loss (always when I get down a dress size, I then start 'calculating' how long it will take me to get down another dress size). And am I doing the right amount of exercise? And someone else says this, whilst someone else says that.

I'm OK with it though - I think that when I get to my maintenance stage things will calm down a little. At least, I'll be trying to get things to calm down - at the moment it's still a new and exciting hobby and of course with new hobbies I always obsess over them at the beginning!

At the moment, I'm not so attached to missing the "oh sod it lets eat x, y and z" feeling because to me that led to my huge weight gain and I associate it with a feeling of unhappiness. I've never been much of a drinker either. But I do have that feeling of "well, I did have a treat a few days ago, and I don't really need this one so I'll skip it" which is better in my mind. Also, I don't have much of a social life at the moment - I imagine if I did things may be different!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    First of all. I do not think of "weight loss" but "getting rid of weight", like good riddance.
    You may think it is a semantics issue but not for me. If I lose something I try to find it or replace it. I do not want the extra weight back. I do not need it in my life.

Being healthy is a journey and it requires my dedication, time and focus. Yes to all that.
    I want to be healthy and my time and energy are well invested on keeping myself healthy. I believe that it is cheaper to be healthy than the alternative.

Keep in mind the "alternative". Do I really want to be overweight, pre diabetic, with high cholesterol, and other ailments ?

Good luck in your journey
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel. In fact, we are similar in weight too. My SW was 157lbs, I'm now 133lbs and I'd love to get to 126lbs. However, I also miss the carefree me, going out for dinner with my BF, the occasional Chinese just because it's Friday and enjoying a glass of wine and full fat cheese & onion dip & chips with friends!

I find myself putting my workouts before spending time with loved ones and getting really anxious if someone suggests a night out as all I can think about is the damage it'll do on the scale rather than how much I'll enjoy myself!

It's hard to find a balance. I'm very all or nothing and so finding a middle ground can be tough.

Hopefully we will both be able to work out a good compromise as I don't want to give up my new body but I also want to remember that life is for living!

Good luck on your journey :) x
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It definitely has taken over my life but I didn't quit living..I eat out and indulge every now and then. Don't deprive yourself. Just watch what you eat, split meals in half..

Don't stop living and having fun.. you just have to find a balance..
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I feel like weight gain has taken over my life. I just think about the next time I can go heavier. Its an addiction I don't think I can stop it. I'm not sure I want to stop it. I don't even care about losing weight anymore. Oh god what have I become. Time for pop tarts and ice cream tonight again.

41458.original.JPG?fm=jpg&q=65&sharp=15&vib=10&w=521&h=521&fit=crop
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So when does a diet become an eating disorder??
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at my heaviest I was 180. I'm now 125. Since September my lifestyle has completely changed. I love to workout/exercise, but I have a balance of having a life as well. Try getting your exercise in while having fun i.e. I go and play kickball, volleyball or dodgeball with friends in the evenings or on weekends. I also go dancing or canoeing. You don't have to be tied to a gym to burn those calories.

I aim to eat healthy, but if I want pizza or a burger - I'm going to eat it. I just make sure it's not every night. :wink: Same goes with sweets and sodas. It's all about moderation.

It sounds like your on a restriction rather than just changing your habits to be healthy.
  • hannahsearle
    Options
    This is called an eating disorder. Any kind of obsession with food, yes, and everyone has just admitte to having one. I know because I have had it. The difference is I was never big and got very skinny, so it was noticeable. But even if your not technically 'underweight' that doesn't change the fact that diet has become an obsession and is controlling your life. If you can't losen up a little bit I would seriously recommend getting help.
    You can still eat healthily without havin to count calories
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do think about it a lot, but honestly, it's taking up some of the time that I had filled before with food. I get excited when I think about my progress, and I want to continue that journey even if it does get tough sometimes.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I drive by York Barbell all the time. I like the spinning guy lifting the big weights. It makes me happy.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I find myself putting my workouts before spending time with loved ones and getting really anxious if someone suggests a night out as all I can think about is the damage it'll do on the scale rather than how much I'll enjoy myself!

It's hard to find a balance. I'm very all or nothing and so finding a middle ground can be tough.
    This sounds really familiar! I am someone who can get obsessive about something, whether it was planning my wedding, researching a zillion things when I was pregnant, and now, with weight loss. I am thinking five steps ahead and wanting to polevault into maintenance so I can stop obessing so much. But...I have to do the work first. Hopefully not at the expense of some life balance though.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I feel like weight gain has taken over my life. I just think about the next time I can go heavier. Its an addiction I don't think I can stop it. I'm not sure I want to stop it. I don't even care about losing weight anymore. Oh god what have I become. Time for pop tarts and ice cream tonight again.

*gasp* Becareful, I think you're becoming addicted! Everytime you add even 5 pounds to that squat bar you slide further and further down the slope to complete junkie. Your testosterone is going to shoot through the roof and you'll be overly aggressive.

Soon you're going to be like Crankstr...strutting around the forums and yelling "NO!" or "SQUAT B*TCH"
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that, but I realized I don't have to. It depends upon your goals. My goal is to lose weight and live healthier. I know that if I eat around 2000 calories a day, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, the weight will come off and my body will benefit. I don't worry about how other people reach their goals and I don't care about what other people think about my methods.

I hated working out in the evenings after work, so I don't do it anymore. Instead of walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes and lifting weights. I take a series of short walks during my work day and do more physical activities outside. I can do a 15 minute walk before work, a 15 minute walk during my morning break, a 30 minute walk during lunch and another 15-minute walk during my afternoon break. Now I'm exercising more and have more free time in the evening. Instead of lifting weights, I've been improving the landscaping around my home, swinging an axe, digging with a pick and shovel.

None of that will turn my into an athlete, but it will help me lose weight and live healthier!
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is called an eating disorder. Any kind of obsession with food, yes, and everyone has just admitte to having one. I know because I have had it. The difference is I was never big and got very skinny, so it was noticeable. But even if your not technically 'underweight' that doesn't change the fact that diet has become an obsession and is controlling your life. If you can't losen up a little bit I would seriously recommend getting help.
    You can still eat healthily without havin to count calories

I'm sorry but I think that's an incredible oversimplification of a very complex and serious issue. Thinking a lot about weight loss and making regular changes that control your life does not automatically mean an eating disorder. Many of us are going from living largely sedentary lifestyles where we put no thought in to what we ate, no idea what calories were in anything.

Counting calories is necessary in order to see what calories are in our food choices, and making changes to those choices. Trying to change habits set over many years is going to require a large amount of brain power in order to stop doing things automatically, and that can lead to thinking about weight loss a lot. Similarly, reading up on health and nutritional information can go a little crazy when you come across conflicting advice, so trying to search for correct advice often occurs too. Like I said, it's like a new hobby full of things I've never actually thought about in my daily life.

There may be several factors that are similar to an eating disorder - like I said, being preoccupied with food will happen if you're used to eating anything, and then trying to think of a more healthier meal. Weighing yourself on a regular basis will occur because you want to see if your choices are having an affect. Other people who are not well educated on healthy weight loss may worry about your weight. Having a family with no interest in healthy foods may mean that, if you cook their meals, you will cook meals for them but cook a different meal for yourself. Living with an unsupported family may also affect how you eat meals, and how secretive you are about your new lifestyle. Having spent time eating at a low calorie amount and then realizing if you want to lose more you need to up your calories may mean you feel like you're over-eating for a bit and having to eat when you're not hungry.

Many of these things are then similar, but don't equate in my mind to an eating disorder. It can certainly get out of hand and move nearer to becoming one, but nothing anyone has said so far is indicative of an out and out 'eating disorder'.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel. In fact, we are similar in weight too. My SW was 157lbs, I'm now 133lbs and I'd love to get to 126lbs. However, I also miss the carefree me, going out for dinner with my BF, the occasional Chinese just because it's Friday and enjoying a glass of wine and full fat cheese & onion dip & chips with friends!

Hopefully we will both be able to work out a good compromise as I don't want to give up my new body but I also want to remember that life is for living!

Good luck on your journey :) x

This is exactly how I feel too. The reason I got into the mess I did in the first place was going to the pub all the time and getting home so late/tipsy that a takeaway was easier than cooking. Now, my friends haven't changed their habits, but I have. I feel TERRIBLE about missing a workout, or even the idea that I might have to miss a workout, because friends will ask me to go out. It really is about finding the right balance. Sometimes say yes. You don't have to indulge the way your friends are, you can plan food/drink around social occasions, but sometimes, yes, let your hair down and go for it.

We only live once.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Completely! I am so boring nowadays. All I think about it calories in and calories out! On the upside, my partner is loving the extra friskiness! hehe, My best friends are MFP, tape measure and weighing scales... Nothing goes in my mouth unless it´s been weighed and measured.

Oh and anyone wishing to state this is an eating disorder, that´s ridiculous.. I´m still very overweight and the reason I´m so motivated is because of a hospital appointment I have in July. If I want to go out and eat Sushi and drink 3 bottles of wine, I will but I´m not going to ruin my progress over it by being gluttonous!
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The obsessing, for me anyway, is usually about fear, and the fear makes me feel the need to be 'ever vigilant' to protect myself from all the things that could possibly go wrong, again. This is where faith comes in - faith that what we learn, the tools we collect, the support we receive, the desire we have will, rather than paralyze us, sustain us and propel us closer to our goals. I think once we're able to assure ourselves of this, it's easier to stop obsessing.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Life is about what you do...not what you don't do.

I have never thought that focusing on weight loss was "deterring" from other aspects of life, but rather that I am "choosing" to better my health, and if it means other parts of my life aren't as prevalent....so be it.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I am fitting in my five days of exercising after work which means i don't get home until late, if i don't exercise i get anxious and terrified that i am going to wake up with all my weight back on, i find myself checking out the nutritional information on absolutely everything and feel so guilty if i have an extra bowl of cereal or indulge in some cookies on a sunday.

I don't know how long you've been at it, but these sort of feelings I find can happen when you're still pretty new to losing weight in a way that fits your lifestyle, or if you're losing weight fast and are accustomed to seeing quick and steady progress. My weight loss has been pretty slow, but it's also allowed me to go out with friends on weekends and not care about what I eat or drink for a day or two, or even skip a week of exercise.

Do I think you have an eating disorder? My guess would be no, but I haven't completed my WebMD course yet so I don't feel comfortable diagnosing you just yet! But I do believe that obsession can lead to an eating disorder quite easily, I've been there.

If you feel like you are sacrificing too much of what makes you happy and satisfied in your life, slow down, reassess your goals and your weight loss timeline. For me, not seeing much movement on the scale for a few weeks or even months is sometimes worth taking breaks from a vigilant calorie-reduced diet or exercise routine (which is actually really good for you periodically while you are losing weight, changing your body is a stressful thing, physically)
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My two cents- you need to figure out how to make this a lifestyle change. You don't sound like you can do this forever. Maybe start looking at your weekly calories and go do fun outdoor workouts with friends- hiking, swimming, skiing in winter, biking. I know i use to go out dancing I would seriously burn some calories! (i didn't drink so that helped). You don't have to be at the gym all the time (unless you like it). Maybe check into eating TDEE-15%- might give you more room to indulge sometimes. I can see myself eating and working out this way in ten years (eating at maintenance of course). That is why it will work.