Daily weigh ins? GoodxBad?

Do you think weighing yourself daily is a good thing to do or a bad one.
I'm just wondering what others opinion on this is because I am trying to decide If I want to weigh in daily or weekly...

I personally like to weigh myself daily because I like to see progress through out the week so I am less likely to binge....
What about you guys?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Bad.

I weigh every two weeks.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I used to but it became obsessive and started affecting what and how much I ate.

I still weigh maybe 3 times a week which is still bad enough...

Weekly, two weekly or evn monthly would be better.
  • Body_Peace
    Body_Peace Posts: 82
    So should I weigh myself and take new measurements once every two weeks? ;p
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Whether it's good or bad depends on you. Keep in mind that day-to-day weight can go up as well as down. So if that might be discouraging, then it might be better to go for weekly weigh-ins. On the other hand, if you don't get discouraged and keep in mind normal fluctuations, daily can be a good way to keep track and get a better feel for your progress.

Personally, I get on the scale daily but only record weight for progress once a week. Just for kicks, I actually weigh 3 times (pre-workout, post-workout, post-workout shower), which decreases each time due to water weight.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Whether it's good or bad depends on you. Keep in mind that day-to-day weight can go up as well as down. So if that might be discouraging, then it might be better to go for weekly weigh-ins. On the other hand, if you don't get discouraged and keep in mind normal fluctuations, daily can be a good way to keep track and get a better feel for your progress.

Personally, I get on the scale daily but only record weight for progress once a week. Just for kicks, I actually weigh 3 times (pre-workout, post-workout, post-workout shower), which decreases each time due to water weight.
    I agree. It depends on the person. Some people can't weigh daily without getting obsessive about it, and it can turn into a problem and affect their eating.

I also weigh daily but only do "official" (read: recorded and measurements) weigh-ins once a week. I know that my weight is going to fluctuate for various reasons so I pretty much ignore the non-official days, but I like to be able to see if I'm on track. If I'm going up a pound or two each day, I want to know and figure out what's going on so that I'm not surprised and have a small freak out when I do an official weigh-in and have "suddenly" gained like 5 pounds in a week or something.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It doesn't matter how often you weigh, as long as you understand what the number on the scale represents. Fat mass, lean mass, water retention, etc. It shows instantaneous overall weight and is not necessarily an accurate reflection of progress, especially in such short timeframes.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    It depends on you. I weigh daily, in the morning, before showering or eating and after using the bathroom. I generally don't eat big meals, and won't have much more than some fruit after 6 or 7 at night, so I generally don't see any real fluctuations the next morning. If you tend to eat big meals later at night, you may get discouraged as you may see some fluctuations from the previous nights meals. I really like to see where I'm at every day and it doesn't stress me out too much if I see a small fluctuation. It's also better if you have a digital scale that shows tenths of pounds (or kg) as its easier to see small changes in weight loss. Plus, you can get an idea of your weight trend. If you register a 3 lb gain one day but your weekly average is still on track, you can probably assume that that one day was due to factors other than weight (water, food, etc).
    I measure myself once a week. Again, these are all personal depending on what's okay for you.
  • rmich222
    rmich222 Posts: 11 Member
    I weigh every morning first thing, i just like to see it daily
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I am a big fan of daily weighing and recording but you need to have the right mentality to do this. You will come to understand the fluctuations and I think that is very cool. I can tell you 99% of the time correctly if I am going to be up or down BEFORE I step on the scale.

There are lots of apps to track daily weighing. I use Libra. Every day we see numerous posts "I'm up 2 pounds, is this water weight?" If you track daily you won't have to ask this, you will already know it!

The biggest problem I have with strict weekly weighers is that you can swing wildly over a week's time. What if the day you weigh is one of those spike days? That's really going to bum you out after a week's hard work.

Always weight first thing in the morning, it's the only consistent reading you can get. Just for fun I sometimes weigh myself right before bed and right when waking up. Two days ago I dropped 4 pounds in 8 hours sleeping! How crazy is that? (no pooping)

All that said, if the daily swings are going to bother you, don't do it!
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    I guess it depends on the person. I try to weigh myself at least once a week in the mornings after going to the bathroom.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    I weigh daily because I like numbers. I use an app the tracks the trend. As long as I am under the dotted line, I don't stress. I don't let the number control me. If I go up a lb, it isn't because I ate over 3500 calories the day before so who cares. No matter what it says, I eat my normal calories (unless it is going up steadily of course). Some people freak out with the number. If it controls you, weigh in every 1-2 weeks.
  • kabdu108
    kabdu108 Posts: 14 Member
    So should I weigh myself and take new measurements once every two weeks? ;p

Me too - I am of the same persuasion. I weigh immediately upon rising wearing the same clothes every morning. My weight fluctuates by about 3-4 pounds but will eventually drop to a new lower baseline. That's the number I record on Sundays. I've been plateaued for almost 2 weeks and have been very frustrated. Watching my weight go up a pound a down a pound was difficult. However yesterday I hit a new lower baseline, and I'm glad I weigh every day - but I won't record the weight till Sunday - :)
  • seanyldn
    seanyldn Posts: 13 Member
    Much like rekite2000 above me, I'm a daily weighing data nerd too. I've found that having weighed daily over the past five months and tracked everything I eat, I'm really quite good at understanding my bodily processes now.

This proves really quite helpful for me as I'm an avid runner, and getting the right balance of energy reserves in me from slow release foods etc, and not having to eat before hand is useful... knowing how much I will lose from the run, and what I should eat to put it back on correctly, and how long it will take before I know my actual post-run weight. It's all great for really understanding how I work.

Yes, I think twice about eating a lot of things.. but to be honest, that's no bad thing... and I know how to recover it well after giving into temptation and posting up a 3000/4000 calorie day!

Give it a go.. just remember to do it the same time every day, otherwise you won't really get to understand how your weight fluctuates properly. (First thing in the morning, post toilet, pre breakfast works best!)
  • Body_Peace
    Body_Peace Posts: 82
    I'm defiantly doing daily weigh ins...they just seem to work better....and having control and knowledge I think would make me feel better
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    My obsessive personality would love to have me step on the scale everyday.
    But that would just lead to more obsessing during the day, so I only allow myself a weigh-in every 10-14 days.

I actually keep my scale in the original box it came in, and store it in the coat closet. All to make it more difficult for me to cheat by "just checking" on my weight everyday.

Yes, I admit I have "issues"!
  • SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    I have to weigh myself every day to keep myself accountable. It's the first thing I do in the morning. If it fluctuates by a couple pounds, I don't really think much of it (unless I've hit a plateau, in which case it frustrates me to no end.) When I stop weighing myself, I start packing on the pounds. I make excuses like "Oh, so what if I had McDonald's two days ago and Texas Roadhouse yesterday? So what if I ate more burgers and ice cream than should be humanly possible in the past month? It's not a big deal. I don't need to weigh myself. I haven't gained any weight." Then it gets to the point (months later) where I'm AFRAID to step on the scale - and that's a place I hate to be.

Okay, so maaaybe my scale and I have a bad relationship... but I'm in denial. Is there such a thing as scale addiction? If so, I might have it. Sometimes I step on my scale ten times a day... :embarassed:
  • Perezrachel
    Perezrachel Posts: 12
    I like to weigh in daily for similar reasons - keeping myself accountable, watching progess, etc.
  • Angel4ever44
    Angel4ever44 Posts: 26 Member
    Once a week for me. Stepping on the scale everyday tends to play with my head.
  • flirtingwithforty
    flirtingwithforty Posts: 11 Member
    I weigh myself everyday, but only record my weight on Mondays. Like someone else said, it helps me feel accountable for what I eat each day (knowing full-well that daily weight can fluctuate based on many variables.) I SHOULD do my measurements, though. Perhaps this weekend.
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    I weigh myself everyday, sometimes twice a day. I just need to reassure myself that what I am doing is working. I do not let 2-3 lb fluctuations bother me and I do not alter my eating because of them.