Camping Veterans!

Options
2»

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We are more "KOA" type campers (camping "light" haha) but I always bring cast iron skillet, matches, little stove, booze, smore stuff, food, bikes for kids (or we rent them) camping chairs, napkins, plastic silverware, sleeping bags, light for at night to walk to the bathroom, something to start fire (extra papers or lighter fluid, etc.) If you are going on plane though, that would be totally different...
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Depends on if at a camp site or park, or if hiking it in solo lite. If campsite camping: Dry wood (you'd be surprised how often you'll need it as many sites have crappy and or wet wood) a corkscrew if you're a wine drinker, bottle opener if beer drinker. One rarely forgets the booze but often forgets the method of opening it. Mosquito repellent (if you're Canadian you'd better bring a King size can :bigsmile: ), and sunscreen. Water, hand sanitizer and toilette paper (sites frequently have either cardboard paper or none at all) Clothing - layers, remember both warm and cold attire and rain. First aid kit.

Soloist or backpacking in lite: Thermorest, Bug repellant, Bear scare (bell and spray), toilette paper and hand sanitizer, water or portable water filter, first aid kit.

**** I just realized that in my photo collage 3 of the pics are of me camping the first was me in my tent the year I learned the importance of having a barrier under you that is NOT air mattress (air gets cold and you get cold) I now use a thermorest with double folded wool blanket on top of it, but under me if lite and if campsite I bring a huge rolled up bed foam. The second is me wearing the gilligan hat and that' s the trip when I learned the importance of remembering sunscreen. The third is me pointing at the back of my SUV full of everything and the kitchen sink.... where I learned the importance of packing everything and the kitchen sink (I seriously pack a wash bin now for a sink) lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It all depends how and where you like to camp!

I take, in addition to tent, sleeping bags and personal stuff:

-SAS Arctic Survival Guide (cuz I live in the Arctic)
    -SPOT emergency beacon
    -First Aid kit
    -ax, multi tool, knives, matches, lighter, fish hooks, twine, rope
    -firearm and/or bear spray (I prefer the firearm)
    -cast iron pan and basic dishes
    -food and water (duh) or skip the food if you know how to hunt and gather your own, water optional if you are going to boil/filter local water
    -comfortable camp chair
    -stove and fuel
    -some kind of bug protection (i use bug jacket and non toxic bug repellent)
    -vodka (but not too much, and carefully rationed. Being passed out and oblivious in bear country is not very wise)

This girl LOVES camping.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Telephone number for the concierge desk and room service menu...I HATE camping:P
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Beer.
    Bratwurst.
    Clean Socks.
    Water.
    A map.
    Toilet Paper.
    Matches/Lighter.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I also want to know - if you are going camping and have to go on the plane first, how on earth do you pack all the things you need without spending a million dollars on baggage fees?

THIS!! Lol we are traveling by plane to our destination!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Water canteen
    Good quality knife.
    Hand saw
    Strong cord, like parachute
    Toilet paper
    First aid kit
    Water purification ability
    Collapsable pot

Really, I could go on and on.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I also want to know - if you are going camping and have to go on the plane first, how on earth do you pack all the things you need without spending a million dollars on baggage fees?

Seriously? Ow Forget it.
  • JaneDough_
    Options

Seriously? Ow Forget it.

Forget what? And yes, seriously.

How-to-Pack-Backpack1.gif

This is how our checked bags will look like sans the food. We are taking a shelter canopy that one of us can carry in hand. I can pack a roll up table and I am bringing a rei chair.

So, so far I have

-solar charger for phone and camera

gift-guide-23-1111-mdn.jpg

-rei chair that I can easily back.
    2797145.jpg?1367623403

-canopy

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5yaXZlcmNvbm5lY3Rpb24uY29tL1Nwb3J0aW5nLUdvb2RzLUJSUy9DYW1waW5nLVN1cHBsaWVzL0NvbGVtYW4tMjAwMDAxMDAwOS1TaGVsdGVyLmpwZw==?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.riverconnection.com%2FSporting-Goods-BRS%2FCamping-Supplies%2FColeman-2000010009-Shelter.jpg&d=23d3db53d8237f6c8a501d8095f765f931a9439d

-Sleeping pad

- Two lanterns

[more to come, also bumping for the great ideas]
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bug spray! And benedryl just in case you run into something that stings. :)

Have fun!!! :)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK... if you are going by plane, you are obviously limited to what you can fly with.
    If you can, hit the Army/Navy store and purchase two large duffel bags. The big green canvas ones you see Soldiers carry during travel. You can easily put a tent and two blow up matresses in one of them.
    In the second one, put your clothing and pots/pans/dishes.
    Once you land, purchase your food and a cheap styrofoam cooler. You can also buy starter fluid and matches if needed.
    Once camping is finisned, give the extra food away and pack everything abck up in the duffel bags.
  • JaneDough_
    Options
    OK... if you are going by plane, you are obviously limited to what you can fly with.
    If you can, hit the Army/Navy store and purchase two large duffel bags. The big green canvas ones you see Soldiers carry during travel. You can easily put a tent and two blow up matresses in one of them.
    In the second one, put your clothing and pots/pans/dishes.
    Once you land, purchase your food and a cheap styrofoam cooler. You can also buy starter fluid and matches if needed.
    Once camping is finisned, give the extra food away and pack everything abck up in the duffel bags.

Wow! Thanks for the idea! My ex is in the Army and has a huge Army dufflebag! Wow, totally derped on that one! I can borrow his poncho and multi-tool! XD