Thigh and Tummy toning?

Options
HI - any ideas for thigh and tummy tonight? I will be lifting a little for shoulder and arm definition but want some good ideas for these bits.

NB -very new to execrise hence the question!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Are you asking how to build those muscle or how to lose fat from those areas?
  • NaomiMc_Ra
    NaomiMc_Ra Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A bit of both. With muscle building though i don't want a six packor anything, just so that once I've lost the weight the skin and mucles look good.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For the legs I do squats (normal or split), lunges (backward and fwd) and for the tummy I do stomach crunches, stomach cruches with a twist (opp knnes to opp elbows), leg extensions, plank, hip raises

I generally always do the above in tabata workouts (take 4 exercises and do each one 20 secs, 10 sec break x 4 so you have a 4 min work out, then change exercises) - usually do about 5-6 rounds which with a warm up and cool down and breaks gives me a 45-55 mins work out
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Do a beginner lifting program like SS/SL, 5/3/1, NROL4W, etc. and eat at a deficit.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do a beginner lifting program like SS/SL, 5/3/1, NROL4W, etc. and eat at a deficit.

^This. Best bang for your buck.
  • NaomiMc_Ra
    NaomiMc_Ra Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Probably being stupid but i have no idea what all those letters and numbers refer to!! Could you explain?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Probably being stupid but i have no idea what all those letters and numbers refer to!! Could you explain?
    Not stupid at all, they're different lifting programs. SS = starting strength, SL = strong lifts (basically the same thing as SS except one has you doing rows while the other has you doing power cleans), 5/3/1 = program by Jim Wendler, NROL4W = new rules of lifting for women.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

SS - Starting Strength
    SL - Strong Lifts 5x5
    5/3/1 - Wendler 5/3/1
    NROL4W - New Rules of Lifting for Women

^These are all lifting programs. They focus on compound lifts with increasingly heavy weights (you start out light and work up to what's heavy for you).

Starting Strength is a book by Mark Rippetoe. It's an excellent resource for form and the "why" of lifting.

Strong Lifts 5x5 is a free program you can get online. I think it's the best beginner program out there. It's very simple, easy to do, and doesn't require a ton of time. There's also a free iphone app to track your workouts (with an android app coming soon).

Wendler 5/3/1 is more of an intermediate program. It's great for people with a little more experience. You can purchase the book to get the program, which I recommend as it has a lot of good info. You can also find it free online (just not from the author).

NROL4W - I have the book, but I haven't done it. It's a more detailed program and requires more time. It was more effort that I was willing to give, but a lot of women love it.