I am also new here...

Options
My name is Cathy and I am 59 yr.s old. I have tried all kinds of "diets" over the last few years, losing and regaining weight, over and over. I started using this site on July 25th and am really excited and hopeful that this time I am going to make a permanent life change. I check into the Community tab often and can see that there is a great group of people here who are dedicated to their goals and who work to help/support each other. I so want to reach my goals so that I will be healthier and finally feel like I am "Me" again.

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Welcome not-so- Newbie!
    So glad you've decided to stick around and come out of the dark!!:flowerforyou:
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    since i started mfp i would say i have found something always keeping me motivated i love it. i will say this much though i think the key is to find what you really like and to know why you are doing this. with that said i will elaborate, if you are doing this for anyone but yourself you will fail maybe not right away but you will it is okay to say i want a healthier life so i can spend more time with family friends etc... but ultimately these are your goals. every time i have tried to lose weight in the past i would try these ridiculous diets that i would stick to for maybe a week or two and say forget it. when i stopped looking at my life as a diet and a way of life is when i started to succeed. what i mean is that i started saying hey i am gonna eat what i like but i am gonna portion it out and try to make some better choices but if i want something i am going to eat it. i found with myself if i do not give into something i want every now and then it only leads to binge eating and eating things i didn't even want because i was not satisfied beforehand. so moral of this story learn what you are eating still eat it but maybe cut back and portion it out don't give up what you like because this is your life and if you wanna stick with this plan it has to be something you can live with. as far as exercising goes i find myself to get bored very easy doing the same thing for awhile so i challenge myself to new things, i may not like them as well as something else but if i do the same thing for too long i don't want to go sometimes and it also gets too easy. so i say if you find yourself getting bored with exercises spice it up, you can do the same thing with food, reward yourself every once in awhile you are doing a great job and you should be treated. if you eat the same thing day in and day out you will get bored, fulfill your guilty pleasure it's not wrong remind yourself how good you are doing and deserve a little something i have found i have lost the most weight this way. i have lost 5 pounds a month and i am close to 30 pounds and i feel great i had lost weight before finding this site but i love this site it is wonderful. don't give up you can do it!!!!!!
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cathy, most of us have probably also tried all kinds of "diets" to get it off fast but not actually addressing the issue. This is a very exciting site and you will enjoy the relationships you will build so much as well as the life long success in making the right decisions when it comes to food choices. You will feel better than ever! I look forward to your success you can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and support :smile:
  • hannatrip
    Options
    Welcome !!! I just joined last week and I find this site very motivated.....especially since I downloaded it on my phone! I dont miss an entry now....when I find that Im getting lazy....I get on and read some of the posts and it really motivates me!!
    I am 56 and have diabetes so its pretty hard to lose it....I should have listened to my mom yearssss ago when she said the older you get the harder it gets to lose!!! haha she was right!!! :happy:

I sould be more than happy to be your friend if you would like to add me :)
  • adidasspf
    Options
    Welcome back! I can imagine it being hard to lose weight with diabetes. I wish the best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • newfiegal75
    newfiegal75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Cathy ,
    Im new this this site aswell. I joined last night and pretty excited about it.
    My parents are both diabetics so i know what you are going through. But with lots of motivation and encouragement you can do it. take care and maybe we can catch up soon :smile: