A more filling spring salad..

Options
Montarosa456
Montarosa456 Posts: 133
I’m always trying to find new/interesting ways to eat salads, plus I’m sure the good weather will come sometime soon (please) here in the UK and that just calls for salads.

I like to make sure that my salads are full of colour, low in fat; contain some leafy greens (I’m amenic so need an iron rich diet) and some lovely slow releasing carbs. Oh and protein is pretty handy too, because let’s face it going in for the cookie jar ten minutes after eating won’t reduce my body fat!

From personal experience sometimes just leafy greens are not the path for keeping full and I found by grating a couple of carrots the whole dish became more of a substantial meal without loading on calories.

This is today’s salad:

2 Carrots Grated
20g Spinach
20g Beetroot
80g Chickpeas (roasted without oil, in ground garlic and mixed herbs, salt and pepper)
67g Quorn Chicken (I am veggie – Feel free to sub for real chicken)
Drizzle of balsamic glaze

Using my calculator (and of course different brands have different calories) this came to 317 Cals – 48g Carbs – 4g Fat – 27g Protein

I’d be really interested in any other/similar filling salad ideas? I love chopping an apple and adding that into my salad or when I need more (healthy) cals I add nuts/dried fruit.

Replies

• StarrySkiesYvaine
    StarrySkiesYvaine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nice topic! :)

Salads can be so versatile as you say, they don't have to be sliced cucumber, sliced tomato and a bit of shredded lettuce!

Good idea re: carrots - I never think to add them. I love apples and seeds/nuts in salads too.

I had a really nice one at a restaurant last weekend:

Red & yellow pepper - sliced
    cherry tomatoes
    black olives
    artichoke hearts
    about 4 teaspoons of onion marmalade
    a small amount of goats cheese
    cucumber
    mixed leaves (stereotypical Italian style salad leaves)
    a little drizzle of balsamic glaze

It was one of the best restaurant meals I've had in ages.

My other half's mum makes an amazing salad with roasted veggies (red & yellow pepper, courgette, aubergine) and roasted garlic, cous cous, goat's cheese and a simple harissa dressing.

Do you have Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's 'Veg everyday!' cook book? That has lots of nice salads in it - I really want to make the herby peanutty noodley salad (his own name for it, not my made up one!)