How would i log weight lifting?

Options
I'm not sure how to do that. I want to work with a few weights first before I do the treadmill.

I'm aiming for 30 minutes of weights, but I'll start with maybe 15 minutes and 5-10 pound weights.

I'm not sure how many calories that would burn though. How do I find out how many calories I've burned through weights?

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Under strength training! It goes by reps, sets, and the pounds you're lifting. :)

Oh, and as for the calories, I don't think it tells you that, but I can definitely say you're burning more calories by doing weights before cardio, so good choice!
  • AngelBaby7041
    Options
    Under strength training! It goes by reps, sets, and the pounds you're lifting. :)

Oh, and as for the calories, I don't think it tells you that, but I can definitely say you're burning more calories by doing weights before cardio, so good choice!

YAAAAY. Now I feel like I just got a boost of self esteem!! :) Thank you
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is an option under cardio exercise. If you want to, you can log calories that way. It will just be an estimate of course. ;)
  • jboykin72
    jboykin72 Posts: 8
    Options
    Under cardio there is an option for strength training which will count calories for you. I'm not sure how accurate the calorie count is, but every little bit helps. You just put in how many minutes you train and it will calculate for you.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log my strength training. It's just such a pain logging every set of everything.
    I do cardio afterwards so I just log that, and just don't eat any calories I might get back from weights.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I log my entire daily workout as one single session and I type the calories burned from my Heart Rate Monitor.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely welcome! :)

YAAAAY. Now I feel like I just got a boost of self esteem!! :) Thank you
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I found this formula on livestrong.com the other day while trying to figure out how many calories are burned during weight training...it's pretty simple math:

Weight x minutes you've trained (including rest time between sets). Take this number and mulitply by either:

a) .055 for vigorous, bodybuilding type of training
    b) .042 (which is the number I used) for circuit training with weights
    c) .039 for strength training with free weights
    or d) .028 for lighter weight lifting with moderate effort.

So for me at 125 pounds, working out for 60 minutes circuit training, I burned 315 calories: (125x60)x .042 = 315.

Hope this helps!
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JohnLSinclair
    JohnLSinclair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My advice? Don't even bother. There's no way to accurately calculate it. Just go beast mode in the gym and be proud of your efforts. You'll notice your gains in the mirror. :)
  • runningforthin
    runningforthin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found this formula on livestrong.com the other day while trying to figure out how many calories are burned during weight training...it's pretty simple math:

Weight x minutes you've trained (including rest time between sets). Take this number and mulitply by either:

So for me at 125 pounds, working out for 60 minutes circuit training, I burned 315 calories: (125x60)x .042 = 315.

Hope this helps!

This is great, thank you!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about logging my weight training on MFP (just keep track of set/reps/weights elsewhere in a spreadsheet so I can track my progress).
  • purpleroses1021
    purpleroses1021 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your example. I'd have used the weight I was lifting not MY weight OOps.