Fitbit Flex - Swimming

Options
Been searching for a reliable answer. I am looking to purchase this to supplement my HRM for swimming. I would also wear it permanently for other activities as well.

I swim often, about 6 days a week and I don't want to buy it unless I am absolutely sure it is waterproof (meaning no significant damage can come about if used often in pools with chlorine present). It does say it's water resistant and can be worn in the shower but these are two different things.

Any advice is appreciate from someone who owns one and swims often.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    the info i read was the fitbit is waterproof but not for in depth swimming.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    there is a fitbit group on here...poke around there...and ask your question..you will get an answer
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I looked into this myself. Read that it's okay for things like showering and activities where there is short exposure to water but they are not designed for prolonged periods I.e. swimming. Hope this helps.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Still might consider getting one and just use HRM for swimming and record it later. It still seems like a great idea to use for everything besides swimming.

Plus all the syncing it does, also with the new Note I am getting seems like a good idea.
  • vipers19
    Options
    According to the manufacturer, the FitBit flex is safe in water up to 10 m and can be worn while swimming (though it is not designed to accurately track the activity). Hope this helps.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are not waterproof. They say they can be worn in showers but not recommended for swimming.

They are not useful for swimming anyway. They are a pedometer and cannot track swimming activities correctly even if they were waterproof.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't advise the flex for anything other than a quick dip - get wet and get out.

i haven't been able to prove it, but i think wearing it swimming is what caused one of mine to crash. thankfully, it was replaced, but i now take it off for any time longer than a minute in the pool.

there are hrm that are waterproof though...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've used it with "Press and Seal" cling wrap and it stayed dry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In the swimmers group on this board there is a thread about this - I can't remember what was recommended but it was one of the Polar ones. Join us swimmers.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    From the Fitbit help page:
    Water Resistance and Swimming

While it is water resistant and can be submerged up to 10 meters, Flex is not designed to track swimming activities. If you want to better reflect your swimming activity and calories burned, we recommend logging the activity on the Activities page of your dashboard.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i would also add, that any fitbit is meant for daily activity and NOT exercise.