30DayShred, is this normal??

Options
Okay, so I've been on and off trying to lose weight for months, but I haven't been able to stick to it. A mix of problems (excuses) hinder me every time. Like being a little strapped for cash, so cheap carbs are the easiest things to buy. Counting calories is easy, it's the excersize that's getting me!

I saw a few poundage results last time a tried a few months ago. I went to the gym for cardio every night. I lost like four pounds, but I couldn't see or even feel and difference at all. I know four pounds isn't a lot, but it was discouraging. I also realized I wasn't seeing much, because I was ONLY doing cardio.

Now, I just started Jillian's 30 Day Shred. It seems to be pretty popular here. I love it! But, I'm having mad trouble with it. The first day I did it with a few 5 second breaks and I was fine. But the next morning when I woke up, my legs hurt so bad I could barely stand and had to fall into my chair to sit down. My legs kept randomly giving out and buckling. The second day was just as bad, but I forced myself through 12 minutes before I felt like I was going to die.

I skipped day three and did cardio myself. Now it's day four. The pain has subsided, but my legs feel super weak. I can definitely do it today if I try, but I'd just like someone to tell me if it's normal or not. I'm sure it is, but it's super discouraging to be in such pain. I almost fell down the stairs!! Haha.

Hope someone can help me, I'm trying really hard. I wanna be healthy again:)

Replies

• gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That means it's working.... Mine was hurting to after a few days, but now it's subsided... Keep it up!!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal! Keep at it. It's worth it!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Whenever you do any new exercise that you haven't done before, your muscles get sore from being worked in a different way than they're used to. It hurts, but it's not a bad pain, it's just a reaction. If you're REALLY sore, then taking a day off is the right thing to do, but otherwise try to push through it. Keep at it!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes that's really normal! I remember that on days 2 and 3 I had a LOT of trouble trying to sit in a damn chair (and get up)! I would suggest to keep at it. It doesn't take very long for that soreness to go away. I think it was around day 5 or 6 I didn't have that painful soreness anymore. I took a day off every week too.

30DS was my gateway drug to my love of Jillian's workouts. I have 9 of her DVDs now and I saw her on her tour. Freaking love her.
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've started it a few times, and done it on and off for about a year, injuries, life, stress all got in the way. I never got to Level 2 until now. This latest time, I worked up to doing it 4 or 5 days in a row. I started doing simple strengthening exercises for a week and swam twice a week and shredded 2x a week. I haven't had much muscle pain, definitely stiffness, but mostly joint and back pain. I was mad that I had to really work out to get myself fit enough to really be able to do Level 1. 30DS can be very challenging for those of us who haven't been active. So, listen to your body, don't kill yourself, just keep at it. I've loss inches in the past month. Good luck.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain is normal. Extreme muscle pain is bad. The pain is the biggest deterrent to new excerises. Just ask me, I know! That being said, recent medical studies have shown that ginger can help alleviate some of that pain. Of course they aren't sure just why yet but the group studies showed that participants who took ginger seemed to experience less severe post workout discomfort. So for me, after a hard workout I will take a teaspoon of fresh ground ginger and two advil and it does seem to help the next morning. I have found fresh ground ginger in tubes in the produce department or in jars in the asian food section of the local market. It is just more convenient than grating your own. Sounds goofy I know but hey give it a try and good luck!
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's normal! Keep at it because you will LOVE the results!! :happy:
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Please, please, please listen to your body.

A certain amount of muscle fatigue and soreness is normal and healthy as you push your body to a new level of fitness - but what you're describing sounds extreme. (If you're experiencing JOINT pain, rather than muscle pain - STOP and see a physician - I wish someone had given me that advice before I wrecked the cartilage in my knees, "playing through the pain.")

30 Day Shred may be a great programme for a lot of people, but there is no "one size fits all" fitness regime. If you're trying to jump into something that your body isn't ready for, you could do more harm than good (says the woman now restricted to Roman dead lifts and hack squats for life) and wind up more frustrated than ever.

I'm not suggesting you give up, but have you considered trying something moderately less challenging first and, once you've conquered it, trying the 30 Day Shred again? Or, if you have the option available, working with a personal trainer on a one to one basis?
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is normal.. but do listen to your body too. Maybe take a one day break between to heal muscles and once you build up more endurance you can do it every day. The first three days are the worst and then you get a bit more used to it.. it happens when you go to a new level as well but not as bad as going from zero to starting level one :) Just push through it, it means it is working.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    just wait til you get to level 3.....it hurts to type....
  • Chimoshiki
    Chimoshiki Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys! I just did it after reading responses and I'm SO GLAD I DID!

The pain is subsiding. I'll make sure to listen to my body though. It seems cardio is the only thing getting to me. Makes the front of my calves hurt SO bad, haha.

The other thing I noticed, is no matter how I do crunches only my neck hurts! Ugh! I don't feel any burn in my abs, and that's one of my priorities. I've read on how to do it and watched them and I just can't seem to do it without it hurting my neck.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys! I just did it after reading responses and I'm SO GLAD I DID!

The pain is subsiding. I'll make sure to listen to my body though. It seems cardio is the only thing getting to me. Makes the front of my calves hurt SO bad, haha.

The other thing I noticed, is no matter how I do crunches only my neck hurts! Ugh! I don't feel any burn in my abs, and that's one of my priorities. I've read on how to do it and watched them and I just can't seem to do it without it hurting my neck.
    If you keep it up you'll find level one easy.

About the crunches. You really want to avoid neck pain. You're straining your neck, not your abs. Make sure your chin doesn't come anywhere near your chest. Try to stare at a point on the ceiling above your body. It could be your abs are a bit weak and you're straining your neck to get the movement in. So start small, maybe you won't get as many reps in. If you are pulling on your neck, stop. Don't put your hands behind your head or ears. Put them out by your sides to help you pull up as a modification. Good luck and keep at it!!
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS wait at least 48 hours before repeating a hard workout! It takes that long for your muscles to recover.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had a bumpy bus ride on about day 3...I actually thought I was going to cry from the pain! Don't worry, it gets easier. And then you go up a level. :sad: