fat girl clothes don't tell ur progress

Options
so my mom asks me this morning if i can tell a difference in how my clothes are fitting yet. i had to think about it- and the answer was no! reason being- at 235lbs (starting weight) my clothes alllll had elastic bands, were tank tops, sweat pants, etc. Actually, that is pretty much all i wear. i wonder when i will have the courage to go to a store and see what size i am? and the store NOT being old navy ;) i wonder if i can ever walk into an A+F or AE again? i havent shopped in there since senior yr HS.

now im just rambling...maybe once i hit 199 i'll get out of my sweats! 22.1lbs to go for that!

Replies

• gailosborne
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan! I went to A+F when I hit goal, my body changed so much on the way down I needed new clothes half way but only used them for a few months so be aware of that.
    I started to notice my loss in my 'fat-girl' clothes after about 20lbs - it is so exciting!!
    Well done you!!!
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I think you'll start noticing soon, regardless if you're wearing fat girl clothes or not. I have some sweats that I just recently was able to tell a huge difference in how they're fitting. One day they were fitting the same as always (35lbs lost) and a couple weeks later they were fitting much better without much need for the elastic stretch in the tumtum area (39lbs lost). 35 lbs didn't make a difference but the final 4lbs made leaps and bounds difference. Who knows, you may wake up tomorrow and notice a drastic difference :).

Congrats on your loss thus far! I too cannot wait until I can shop at a real clothing store where things don't have elastic or the jeans don't stretch :P.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You know, now that you mention this, I realized that at 235 and at 195, I wore the same pants. That's a 40 lb. weight different, and those 'big 16s' (I really should've been wearing an 18) were still functional articles of clothing that didn't make me want to pass out buttoning them up.

When I dropped to 190, still in 16s...185, still in 16s (but they were loose), 180...14s...175...12s...172 my first pair of 10s (granted, they were big 10s, and other 10s don't fit, but still).

I'm also finding that as I go on this journey, as my body fat percentage drops, my weight may stay the same, or even go up a bit, but my pants size drops. Clearly, by carrying more lean muscle mass (thank you strength training!), and lessening my body fat, I'm simply leaning out, making my body size smaller, while maintaining the same weight. Makes me not hate the scale quite so much.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to be able to go shopping for clothes. I am down 36 lbs and still wear the baggy TShirts & stretchy pants. The only thing I was able to get into that is new was a pair of size 14 jeans that hubby gave me for Xmas 2 years ago. I never even removed the tags back then cuz they wouldnt close at all.
    I would have thought that I would be in a smaller size by now :( so thats a little disappointing and I know that I still have fat to lose in the mid section ( My biggest problem) with a 40" waist still :(:(
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think you'll start noticing soon, regardless if you're wearing fat girl clothes or not. I have some sweats that I just recently was able to tell a huge difference in how they're fitting. One day they were fitting the same as always (35lbs lost) and a couple weeks later they were fitting much better without much need for the elastic stretch in the tumtum area (39lbs lost). 35 lbs didn't make a difference but the final 4lbs made leaps and bounds difference. Who knows, you may wake up tomorrow and notice a drastic difference :).

Congrats on your loss thus far! I too cannot wait until I can shop at a real clothing store where things don't have elastic or the jeans don't stretch :P.

THEY MAKE JEANS THAT DON'T HAVE ANY STRETCH TO THEM? THAT IS SO SCARY TO ME. I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM IN YEARS! LOL I THOUGHT THEY WERE EXTINCT! WELL, AT LEAST FOR ME.
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    @MamaJess - you are too funny! I thought the same thing!!! Seriously, they make jeans that don't stretch??? This is an odd theory for me to grasp....

Thanks ladies - I appreciate all your words. They gave me a lot to think about, including that there is a whole world of un-strectchy clothes out there! ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!