Help! Comfortable shoes for backpacking

Options
gaveupheart
gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
Hello,

I'm leaving in 10 days for a backpacking trip through Europe. I've never been backpacking before and need to figure this out ASAP. So, I need good, comfortable, walking shoes for backpacking 5 weeks through Europe. I'm a young, female, if that helps. What brands or what shoes do you guys wear or suggestions for backpacking? I also prefer to buy decent price shoes, so nothing too pricey! I want to go out and buy them and break them in before I leave!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I like the Keen shoes for walking:::::

http://www.keenfootwear.com/ca/en/
  • kellynanb
    kellynanb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a pair I got at Belk that are Mountrek brand. I love them for any outdoor activity.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that sells backpacking gear such as REI, Moosejaw, etc. I know there's a lot more, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. They will help you determine what type of shoe/boot will work best for you based on number of miles per day, weight of pack and expected terrain. It is extremely important to get the right fit - a poorly fitted boot can cause blisters or worse injuries, even the loss of toenails (I've seen this happen). It may be more expensive than you want, but good shoes are worth it. Happy feet = happy hiker! Enjoy your trip!
  • ViDexSha
    ViDexSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the price and buy what fits! Then wear it everyday if you can before your trip...You'll need to break them in. I also recommend buying shoes that are covered with Gore-tex...This is a waterproof sealer. It saved my butt in San Fran, where it poured the whole time I was there.
  • gaveupheart
    Options
    Hm ok, yeah, I just want my feet to be happy! Esp. if i'm there for 5 weeks!

Any more suggestions will be nice!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Merril Moab's... waterproof, light and comfortable. Stand up pretty good to rough hiking trails too.
  • gaveupheart
    Options
    bump