Everyday Tips and Tricks

Options
Snatched614
Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
I participated in this thread on another board. Would like to see it take on a life of its own on this one. Please name some everyday tips and tricks you currently use that may help out another. For instance:

You can unclog drains by mixing baking soda and distilled white vinegar.

To quickly chill a room temp drink, wrap the can or bottle in a wet paper towel and put it in the freezer for 10-15 min.

Before chopping hot peppers, rub a bit of vegetable oil on your hands to keep your skin from absorbing the oil from the peppers.

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    I throw dryer sheets in the heat vent to make the whole house smell great.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I throw dryer sheets in the heat vent to make the whole house smell great.

Dryer sheets are magical. Keep your used ones and use them instead of magic erasers. :)
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Again with the dryer sheets - they deter mice and smell much better than moth balls!!! We put them in anything we store - furnature, etc.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We stash dryer sheets in our vehicle too to keep it smelling fresh!
  • Snatched614
    Options
    LOL, the wonders of a dryer sheet... who knew!!!
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I also use dryer sheets to wipe my couches and get the cat hair off ;)
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Here's another lol. I love having baths in really hot water. But by the time I start feeling settled a relaxed a lot of the water went out the drain thingy usually located just under the tap. So when I turn off the water...I shove 2 diaper wipes (2 for me because there is 2 holes on mine) and that keeps the water from draining so I can enjoy a nice full tub of water ;)
  • Snatched614
    Options
    I had an EX who used to love egg rolls. So instead of putting the duck sauce on the side and dipping the egg roll everytime.. He would do this. Bite off the top (lol) and stick his finger in the egg roll down the middle, then fill it with duck sauce or hot mustard. Sounds crazy, but works!!!
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Oh ya! Mix your used coffee grounds with some cinnamon and rub it on your skin to help improve cellulite!
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 8, 6, 4 and 20 months. The 8, 6 and 4 yr old are always telling, crying, fighting and whining and hardly help around the house. So I have 3 "charts" on the fridge, everytime they do something like hang their backpacks up after school, finish their dinner, go to bed without any issues, say OK when asked to do something...they get a checkmark. 10 check marks they get to pick a reward out of the "treasure box" filled with goodies from the dollar store. 30 check marks they get to choose somewhere to go like bowling, the movies, out for dinner ect,.,It really helps!

When they first started school I put notes up everywhere on things so help with reading and spelling. Light switch said on and off, door said DOOR and Outside/Inside! Fridge, oven, closet, stairs, bathroom ect... that really helped too!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 8, 6, 4 and 20 months. The 8, 6 and 4 yr old are always telling, crying, fighting and whining and hardly help around the house. So I have 3 "charts" on the fridge, everytime they do something like hang their backpacks up after school, finish their dinner, go to bed without any issues, say OK when asked to do something...they get a checkmark. 10 check marks they get to pick a reward out of the "treasure box" filled with goodies from the dollar store. 30 check marks they get to choose somewhere to go like bowling, the movies, out for dinner ect,.,It really helps!

When they first started school I put notes up everywhere on things so help with reading and spelling. Light switch said on and off, door said DOOR and Outside/Inside! Fridge, oven, closet, stairs, bathroom ect... that really helped too!

I don't have kids, but these are good tips for if I ever do. :flowerforyou:

Another thing with dryer sheets: use them to dust your baseboards and hardwood/tile floor corners (don't do the whole floor). Helps keep the dust away longer.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i use dryer sheets....when i pet my doggy sometimes...he sheds worse than trees in Autumn season... the sheets pick up ALL the hair!! lol ...plus he smells great after!