zumba calories?

Options
My zumba class is an hour... I've been entering in the class as "aerobics- high impact" since I didn't see zumba in the database. Do you think the calories are comparable or should I be entering it in as something else? Thanks

Replies

• soneill6
    Options
    sorry that this isn't the answer to your question but...i just wondered are zumba classes any good? i was considering starting but i wasn't sure how good they were?

Thanks x
  • elloradannon
    Options
    LOOOVE them! I'm a musician so I've always had that inner dance craving but I was just always too big to feel comfortable There is lots of hopping and jumping incorporated in with traditional Latin dancing. I liked it so much that I'm going twice a week now. Try it!
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take what I think (I have only taken this one class so far) is a moderate zumba class. Wearing my heart rate monitor, I burn 500 cal per class. I am not very good at zumba yet, so I stumble through some moves. I think it is possible to burn more if you know all the steps and are able to put more energy into it, etc...

I am 5.8 and 198.8, about 50 of those are extra-weight...

Hope this helps you to estimate.

Have fun at classes. I really like it. I take it once a week right now, but thinking about bumping it to 2 times.
  • ADJulie
    ADJulie Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I post my zumba class under belly dancing because the movements are somewhat similar and it seemed the closest to what zumba really is. My class is also an hour long. I LOVE MY CLASS!!!!
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    according to my HRM I burn between 400-500 per 50 minute session.

I am 5ft 4 and currently 133lb
  • ttcm515
    ttcm515 Posts: 8
    Options
    I think the classes differ by instructor as well. I asked my instructor how to classify mine and mine is 45 min. She does a very high impact class and told me to definitely classify it as high impact. I would ask your instructor what they think because they understand better sometimes since they train them. I've been to other classes I certainly wouldn't classify as high.
    Zumba is Awesome - I love it.!!!
    Tonya
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma too and was about to post the question when I saw yours! I've got a great instructor who keeps it very fast and upbeat. I have a ton of fun while dancing and sweating (for those of you thinking about trying zumba - stop thinking and give it a go! it's fantastic with people of all ages and sizes :o)
    At any rate I have read that zumba burns 500-1000 calories per hour so I thought I would just create my own excercise and call it zumba....err on the side of caution and list 500 calories for 60 mins. I saw someone else post results from an HRT who is built similar to me and 500 cals was close.
    I would also classify my class as a high aerobic workout and my gym lists it as a Master Class (they also have classes listed just as Zumba). I definitely think it depends on the instructor as far as the intensity goes. My gym will also be starting a zumba toning class which I'm sure would not fall into the high aerobic category, but sounds interesting! Go zumba :o)
  • elloradannon
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Mine is defintiely HIGH IMPACT! Wow- I was way more sweaty than running for an hour. Intense but super fun. I'm 150 lbs and 5'4 so I think I'll guess 500 calories or so for the hour. THanks again!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The definition of High Impact is that both feet leave the ground at the same time. Usually, this is reserved for more boot camp type workouts where you are doing jumping jacks or plyometric drills. Low impact allows for one foot to come off the ground, like most dance classes and the Zumba classes I've taken. That's not to say that Zumba can't be High Impact. It just depends on the instructor as to how the class is taught. I'd pay attention in class and decide what you think it is taught as or ask your instructor how they teach it.
  • KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just started going last week and I love it but I've been entering it under the dance category. I think it depends who your instructor is ... the one i had Monday night was insane but Thursday night was a lot slower paced, I was still sweating but it wasn't to the point where I wanted to ring my shirt out afterwards. Anyway, not sure that helps but that's what I do.
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates